IGNORED

What would you want to add to the jaguar?

Htbaa

I think I would add internal memory for savegames. Like some memorycard but then inside the jaguar, and not the game. Little useless for cartridge games but perfect for CD games.

And a USB port would be cool too, for extra stuff (Ethernet Adapter :P). But USB wasn't there in that time so that's a shame :(.

I don't know about adding to the original, but I would want a dual unit w/ built in networking and make every game network compattible in some way. Also, the illustrious "clear case" a la BS:G would be a killer option to have.

Heh, maybe I'd add a custom kiosk around every Jag :P

Make the cartridges snap into place a little easier. Without thinking your breaking the game or system just to get the cartridge put in the slot :roll: Also a door that opens and closes to keep the dust out. A longer cord on the controller would be nice if it came with the unit that way instead of having to buy an extension. Different color cases woulda been cool Maybe Black, Grey, Red, Or clear as choices :D

As far as hardware it woulda been great if they could have somehow combined the Jag Cd release with the Jaguar 2 chipset and give the Playstation and Saturn a run for their money back in 94-95 Maybe if they made the price of the Jag like $75 and the Cd Jag 2 combo like $225 and made them compatible that woulda rocked.

Also redisign the cd lid so it's no so sensitive. I have to have my cd's in perfect or the like to hit the lid.

Mmmh...

I'd think of hardware add ons, like:

lightgun (w/games, of course. I know Stone is working on some units, but what about the games?),

VR headset (and I mean 'mass' produced, so maybe more games will be coded for it),

analog interface for all jaguar types.

Ciao.

I think I would add internal memory for savegames. Like some memorycard but then inside the jaguar, and not the game. Little useless for cartridge games but perfect for CD games.

And a USB port would be cool too, for extra stuff (Ethernet Adapter :P). But USB wasn't there in that time so that's a shame :(.

For CD-rom games the memory track cartridge is fine to save games...

Well, since much of this is wishful thinking anyway, I'd love to see another good graphics chip added, with awsome texturemapping abilities built in and a LOT of cache memory to put it to good use, and maybe a few more megs of system memory too. I think those would be the most important upgrades the Jaguar could get, heck, I don't see why someone couldn't actually make a cart game with a new graphics chip on-board, like Nintendo did with the SNES and the FX chip...a new memory cart could be made with the chip too, so all future CD games could take advantage of it! It could be an older off-the-shelf chip like an older voodoo or nvidia chip, they're probably dirt cheap now!

Comfortable controllers

In my opinion I think the Jag controllers are some of the most comfortable around.

Damn straight! The procontroller is even better, then the standard one. Although I think the next most comfortable controllers around are the ORIGINAL Xbox controllers not that lame little type-S job made for Japanese&kids hands! So maybe my opinion is generally worthless where controllers are concerned, I find the controller most people seem to think are wonderful gifts from engineering gods to be crap and the ones most people think are crap I love! N64-hate em', gamecube-hate em', original PSX(non-analog)-hate em', SNES/NES-hate em', etc. I like DC, Xbox and Jaguar controllers most of all, and Saturn 3D controllers.

Gunstar,

Your right about using just about any off-the-shelf Video Chip and putting it into a cart for CD use or some bypass scheme to another cart.

However, this method sorta takes out the glory of the Jaguar itself.

Extra Memory, jah! Faster 68030, jah, Voodoo 5 graphic chip? hmm.....

Then again, it'd be interesting to see what one could come up with on

a Jag running another video chipset. I also wasn't aware the SNES FX chip was a graphic chip, thought it was just a super high end math processor to chunk around the data fast so the SNES could handle that kinda stuff.... but I don't know, I just remember playing Star Fox FX and Stunt Race FX :P

Gunstar,

Your right about using just about any off-the-shelf Video Chip and putting it into a cart for CD use or some bypass scheme to another cart.

a Jag running another video chipset. I also wasn't aware the SNES FX chip was a graphic chip, thought it was just a super high end math processor to chunk around the data fast so the SNES could handle that kinda stuff.... but I don't know, I just remember playing Star Fox FX and Stunt Race FX :P

Hmm why all this hardware ? Better we need to find an very easy to use developers kit :-)

Hmm, a Lightgun would be funny :D

Funny is the word yeah, they're not exactly what you'd call stable hehe, well, they can be made stable, at the cost of a little response time... still, sorting out the code for guns is one of the long list of things I have in my mind that I will do, one day.... perhaps... :P.

Gunstar,

It didn't seem to take the glory away from the SNES back in the day when they added the Super FX chip to carts. Those other things you mentioned would be great, but I was thinking of an upgrade that would be able to cover the entire Jaguar market, not just hardware hackers with a nack for upgrading the Jaguar's motherboard. Limited market to only people who can upgrade their system themselves or pay for someone else to do it would never work and nothing would ever be made to make use of it (software wise) other than a demo or two. Something added into carts could reach the whole Jag community and make it worth while for programmers to take advantage of it.

I love the Jag controlls and think they are some of the best around, especially the pro with real buttons instead of the funky flat buttons of the standard.

I love the X-Box controllers too. Their just great controllers and I don't see why everybody places the PSDualshock and Nintendo (anything beyond SNES) controllers beyond these.

But that's for another discussion.

If I had been the owner of Atari back in the early nineties, I'd have insisted on Four controller ports. And a more developer friendly hardware. Where would atari be now if people could have actually programmed for the jaguar? And when Jag CD come out, I'd have insisted on a Jag Duo, just have Jag CD's for people that already had the jaguar.

Yeah, I think it needs more fast Video Ram. And a stick or two of regular ram too. :)

The Jaguar has enough Main RAM. But compared to proc.'s today, it has a very small amount of cache in the GPU and DSP. If the Jaguar had a lot more cache on the GPU and DSP it would have put up a very good fight against the PlayStation and Saturn. That's what I would want to add to the Jaguar.