IGNORED

Lynx Power On without cartridge?

daniemastercard

I just bought a used Lynx model II in bad shape, and still I don't

have a rom card to test it. When I press the ON button, nothing

happens.

The question for the people that have a real Lynx, does it power on

altough it doesn't have a rom card inserted?

I don't want to buy a rom card if the thing doesn't work!

Thanks, Daniel

these usually do not light up without a game card inserted.the lynx ones

will at times.a version two one might as well.there were several different

model two lynxes released.don't believe me?open one up each time you come across one.jack cut corners on these several times while these were

in production.the copper heat sink/grounding strip is different(bigger or it

is smaller in later made units) on the main board.--the lynxer

Both of my Lynx II's do not light up or anything if there's not a card inserted. I don't know how you can test it without the card, but if there is a way, you'll find it here.

Maybe someone here has an extra Kung Food or Xybots (or some other common game) to send you so you can test it.

There is a jumper wire you can put on the contacts to make the lynx thing there is a cart in place and complete the circuit to power it up. This will at least give you a screen that says "Insert Game" on the screen. You will at least be able to test power, and screen, but not the sound or controls.

As for games...there are several of us who probably have a spare cart or two we can let go for pretty cheap. Scratch our backs...we scratch yours... :wink:

It´s the answer that I was expecting! There is hope that it works ok!

I will try to find a card to buy so I can test it, not so easy here im southamerica, but i will find one.

Thanks again to everyone that answered! I will keep you informed of the status of the machine!

Hey, where are you in South America? I am in Argentina, maybe... ? ;)

There is a jumper wire you can put on the contacts to make the lynx thing there is a cart in place and complete the circuit to power it up.  This will at least give you a screen that says "Insert Game" on the screen.  

Y'know, I never thought about this until now. I've seen that "Insert Game" screen only a couple of times in my Lynx life, and it's ONLY been when I've inserted a dirty cart or if it wasn't quite pushed in there all the way. If I turn on my Lynx without a game, it does nothing. Why IS IT that the Lynx had some goofy concepts like this?

Like, for instance, when you insert a cart, why does the name of the game go INWARDS? I've always hated not knowing which game's in the machine without turning the damn thing on or pulling the cart. :x

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...