IGNORED

Looking to start a Lynx collection...opinions wanted

Adrian M

Hello everyone. I've been out of the Lynx loop for a bit, but I'd like to start a Lynx collection and I have a few questions.

1. Which Lynx model is the preferable choice? Pros and cons?

2. Where can I get a Lynx system boxed/complete? Reliable sellers preferred.

3. As for games, are there places where I can get bundle deals of new carts or am I better off buying each game individually?

Thanks in advance for your help...I appreciate it! :)

You'll find many, many good deals on the dirt commons on eBay - you can often get (the same) seven or eight boxed games for under $10 if you look hard enough. You can also check the AA store for a few, cheap titles, but check eBay first.

I have a few Lynx semi-commons I've been trying to unload. If you find your system drop me a PM.

The Lynx is a great system and a lot of fun to collect for. Good luck starting out!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check the Atariage store and consult with you if I need some common titles to fill out my collection. Gotta get me a system first!

Interestingly, you're from Barre, VT? I've actually passed through there once or twice. I'm from the Boston area, but my girlfriend lives in southern NH, so I get to see much of New England on our many weekend trips!

I have both of them but if I were you I'd get a Lynx II, the cartridge slot is in a much more convenient place.  :)

Aside from the cart slot, how comfortable is the Lynx II to use? Is the D-pad on par with the one on the Lynx 1? And the buttons...they're square...how do they hold up over time? Any sticking or wearing out issues?

I have both of them but if I were you I'd get a Lynx II, the cartridge slot is in a much more convenient place.  :)

Aside from the cart slot, how comfortable is the Lynx II to use? Is the D-pad on par with the one on the Lynx 1? And the buttons...they're square...how do they hold up over time? Any sticking or wearing out issues?

I haven't had any problems with the buttons on my Lynx II and I find the D-Pad to be quite comfortable... even when playing veritical-screen games. But, I haven't played a Lynx I to compare. Overall the system's pretty solidly built IMO.

I agree that the lynx 2 is a better choice. Its lighter, has a better battery life, is easier to hold, takes up slightly less space and has the backlight button(so you can pause and turn off just the screen to save batteries and not fry your screen) The only problem i've ever seen is that the lynx 2 has a worse history of breakdowns. Of course if you take care of it well you shouldn't have any problems. I bought mine new in 92 and it still works perfectly. So there you go. Oh and some good games to start with are california games, chips challenge, crystal mines 2, and rampart.

Get the Lynx II over the I. Remember the I is painted people. Also, the stereo feature for headphones is great for Klax, a game which you will be buying. Get the Lynx starter set on Ebay. You know the one. The ten game set for $10 that includes Hydra, Super Skweek, Crystal Mines II, Chips Challenge, Xybots, Steel Talons, et al. Try to avoid the ones that include Cyberball, Kung Food, Pit-Fighter, Batman Returns. You don't want to go there. Don't be afraid to get them loose if you are a gamer. Always look for opportunites to trade with your felow Lynxers. Relaible vendors include the GOAT store and GOATARI and Songbird.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Songbird Productions stocks both new and refurbished Lynx II units, and many common and rare Lynx games (not to mention all the Lynx games published by Songbird! ;) ).

For anyone buying a new or refurb Lynx from Songbird in the next few weeks, I can make you a good deal at the same time on some common Lynx games normally priced at $9.95 each in my catalog. You'll get a 50% discount per $9.95 game, if you purchase the Lynx and at least 4 games. (Note that the Lynx is not discounted, just the $9.95 games.)

Merry Christmas everyone!

I thank everyone for their responses.

I did end up getting a Lynx and a generous games bundle in a trade with fellow AA member Nimtene. I must say that I've been impressed with the system and particularly the arcade ports. Blue Lightning is still a technically impressive game in particular...it blows me away as it did when I first saw it at Toys R Us back in 1989! :)