IGNORED

I want a PC Engine, but I need some advice...

ApolloBoy

Yes, I want a PC Engine instead of the TG-16. The reason why is because it's just so damn tiny compared to its US counterpart (I'm a sucker for tiny systems)! I have some questions though...

1: Will it play TG-16 games?

2: How much will I have to pay for it?

3: Where can I get one (besides eBay)?

Too bad I'm just seeing this now...just last week I ended up selling my boxed PC Engine system since I never played it.

1: Will it play TG-16 games? No, not without a mod or a convertor

2: How much will I have to pay for it? Anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on completeness and condition.

3: Where can I get one (besides eBay) eBay is your best bet now. Had I seen your request last week, I would have had one for you.

One important thing to keep in mind about the standard PC Engine system is the fact that it outputs to Japanese RF only. In other words, it won't work on US TV's via RF. Sure, you may be able to get a grainy/distorted picture on some of your channels, but by and large, US and Japan TV's use different RF frequencies. Your options?

(a) get the PC Engine AV BOOSTER which gives you composite video and stereo output. The only way to really use these effectively in the US.

(b) perform a mod to tap the composite output. You need soldering skills and some research to do this however.

© skip the PC Engine and go for either a SuperGrafx, TurboDUO, or a Coregrafx system. The PC Engine was released under many different models since it was so popular in Japan. Go to www.pcenginefx.com for some general info.

skip the PC Engine and go for either a SuperGrafx, TurboDUO, or a Coregrafx system.

I know about the SuperGrafx and TurboDuo... but is there any difference between the CoreGrafx and the PC-Engine? I was never quite clear about that (And there's even a CoreGrafx II system I think... anyone know anything about that?).

Oh, and while we're mentioning the SuperGrafx... can this thing still be hooked up to the CD player? Since it's shaped rather oddly, it doesn't seem like it would fit into the docking bay of the Japanese CD-Rom drive.

Also, if you're interested in small, the best choice would probably be a TurboExpress.

--Zero

Oh, and how big is the PC Engine compared to the top-loading NES?

Well, the PC Engine is tiny. In terms of dimensions, it's about the size of a NES cartridge (slightly thicker of course) or just barely larger than a CD...much smaller/thinner than the top loading NES by far. Once you add the A/V Booster to the back expansion port, the size increases a bit.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm getting a Core Grafx I instead of a regular PCE.

I think you should be OK then...the CoreGrafx 1 (I believe) comes standard with composite outputs. Double check on this first before you buy. Finding an A/V Booster is no easy task and can easily set you back $50 to $70 by itself.

skip the PC Engine and go for either a SuperGrafx, TurboDUO, or a Coregrafx system.

I know about the SuperGrafx and TurboDuo... but is there any difference between the CoreGrafx and the PC-Engine? I was never quite clear about that (And there's even a CoreGrafx II system I think... anyone know anything about that?).

Oh, and while we're mentioning the SuperGrafx... can this thing still be hooked up to the CD player? Since it's shaped rather oddly, it doesn't seem like it would fit into the docking bay of the Japanese CD-Rom drive.

Also, if you're interested in small, the best choice would probably be a TurboExpress.

--Zero

The Coregrax and PC Engine are identical, but my recollection is that NEC ditched the RF-only output and went composite only with the Coregrafx. Depending on the Coregrafx model, CDROM compatibility may vary..do your research first.

Yes, the SuperGrafx can be hooked up to both CDROM system revisions. NEC originally debuted the SuperGrafx with a new "Clip On" CDROM system that did away with the briefcase design of the older model. Of course, an adapter was developed later on that allows the use of the original CDROM system via a weird jumper pack pass through.

The TurboExpress is OK, but keep in mind the screen is VERY small and external monitor output is impossible.

In my opinion, you'd be best served by buying a TURBODUO. Why? They are easily obtained, relatively inexpensive, already have CD and HUcard compatibility built-in and has composite output from the start.

--Zero

The Coregrax and PC Engine are identical, but my recollection is that NEC ditched the RF-only output and went composite only with the Coregrafx. Depending on the Coregrafx model, CDROM compatibility may vary..do your research first.

Yes, the SuperGrafx can be hooked up to both CDROM system revisions. NEC originally debuted the SuperGrafx with a new "Clip On" CDROM system that did away with the briefcase design of the older model. Of course, an adapter was developed later on that allows the use of the original CDROM system via a weird jumper pack pass through.

The TurboExpress is OK, but keep in mind the screen is VERY small and external monitor output is impossible.

In my opinion, you'd be best served by buying a TURBODUO. Why? They are easily obtained, relatively inexpensive, already have CD and HUcard compatibility built-in and has composite output from the start.

Meh, I'd rather not go for the CD.

Turbografx games will not work in a PCEngine. American games Check which system they're running on. There are some exceptions which can be ran with an adaptor. All (or close to all) Japanese games will run on a Turbografx with an adaptor. All cd's are compatible either way, except for a few which use HuCard's for memory storage.

I plan on selling my Turbografx soon because the cd drive stopped working and I'm getting another one. If you think you may want to go American, give me a hollar.

Turbografx games will not work in a PCEngine. American games Check which system they're running on. There are some exceptions which can be ran with an adaptor.

You can physically mod a PC Engine unit to run American HuCards, though the mod is pretty extensive and requires some good electronic soldering skills.

I might have my facts wrong here, since I'm no TG16/PCE expert... but I remember hearing about a Super System 2.0 (3.0?) card. The idea was that the TurboDuo had some extra stuff in it that a normal TG-16+CD-Rom didn't have, and this Super System Card provided that, so that you could play Super CD games... is this correct? Is this card worth getting if you don't end up going the TurboDuo route? That is, how many games require this?

Here's one of the 3.0 cards on eBay (There are a few others there as well), and it seems rather pricey... what does the 3.0 card do that the 2.0 card doesn't?

--Zero

I might have my facts wrong here, since I'm  no TG16/PCE expert... but I remember hearing about a Super System 2.0 (3.0?) card. The idea was that the TurboDuo had some extra stuff in it that a normal TG-16+CD-Rom didn't have, and this Super System Card provided that, so that you could play Super CD games... is this correct? Is this card worth getting if you don't end up going the TurboDuo route? That is, how many games require this?

Here's one of the 3.0 cards on eBay (There are a few others there as well), and it seems rather pricey... what does the 3.0 card do that the 2.0 card doesn't?

--Zero

The numbering scheme differs a bit from the US and Japan cards. I believe the US TG-16 CDROM shipped with System Card 2.0 (Japan had the CD unit earlier, so naturally they went through more versions of the system cards). Basically the 3.0 card provided the system with a larger RAM buffer (2 meg) which minimized disc access and allowed larger and more complex effects to be utilized since more code could fit in this buffer at once.

The TURBODUO already has the 3.0 card built-in, which is why I advocate it over the other units since this is the quickest and cheapest way towards almost full compatibility with cards and CD's.

There was also an ARCADE card released later on which game the system 16megs of onboard memory. Not very many games are compatible with it, but there are some Neo Geo titles like Fatal Fury 2 and World Heroes 2 that were released and play remarkably well thanks to this card!

Keep in mind that while the various cards are backwards compatible with all CD games, you won't benefit from it unless the card is specifically programmed to take advantage of it. In other words, if you have a System 3.0 card and play an old 1989 standard CDROM game in it, you won't get reduced access time or anything like that.

Just to add to what Adrian siad:

There is a 1.0 card as well. I only know of 1 game that used it, Altered Beast.

There are 2 versions of the Arcade Card - Arcade Card and Arcade Card Pro. The Pro Version has the 3.0 card built in :) That's the best option if you don't get a Duo unit.

Oh and any Super CD Rom game requires the 3.0 card.

There are 2 versions of the Arcade Card - Arcade Card and Arcade Card Pro. The Pro Version has the 3.0 card built in :) That's the best option if you don't get a Duo unit.

Yes, the system 1.0 card was only released in Japan and only worked for a few of the earliest CD games. It was somewhat buggy, and by the time the CD unit debuted in the US, the Japan market was already on system card 2, so that's what was packed in with the US model. :)

Except Rondo of Blood, which has a mini-game built in that requires an older system card to play(as opposed to a single screen that tells you to use the 3.0 card).