IGNORED

PC to ST Transfer?

A2600

we're talking phyically moving, right? not application-level conversion?

the original st's used a pretty-compatible FAT file system. if memory serves, you should be able to sneaker-net files from one to the other.

or.. x/y/zmodem and a cross-over serial cable..

there have got to be better ways of doing it now - ethernet? some kind of serial or parallel network cable/software? disk-drive emulation via cable (think APE or 64HDD)?

Wow !!! Weird, I was just talking with someone about this about 5 mins ago, I use a null modem cable and run an ftp server on my PC to the serial port, and use a term prog on the ST and upload files to the PC.

There are some homebrew hacks for a parallel cable, but I think would would be best is pick up one of those cheap cartridge port ethernet/ISA adapters and just do things the ethernet way....

Curt

we're talking phyically moving, right?  not application-level conversion?

the original st's used a pretty-compatible FAT file system.  if memory serves, you should be able to sneaker-net files from one to the other.

or..  x/y/zmodem and a cross-over serial cable..

there have got to be better ways of doing it now - ethernet?  some kind of serial or parallel network cable/software?  disk-drive emulation via cable (think APE or 64HDD)?

There is SIO2ST which allowed you to hook up an Atari SIO disk drive to the ST, but no ST2PC type of APE, maybe Steve Tucker will write one :-)

Curt

If you format a DD 3 1/2 disk in your PC (720K) you can then bring it to your ST and copy whatever files you want to move.

For me though I had a HD with lots of stuff so I invested in an Ethernet Cart for my Mega2ST - It worked with FTP to my PC so I was happy but I couldnt get my Mega2 to do anything else through the ethernet cart :( - The newer STs I think can use CAB to browse the internet?

I dont think you can create a network drive share between your PC and ST via an ethernet cart - def not on an ST or Mega ST

I remember reading somewhere about Writing ST Disks in your PC??

But yeah there has to be a simpler way

What you're looking for is WFD Copy then. That allows you to create disk images from and also write disk images to an ST floppy on your PC. That's what I had the Milatari people use to convert and archive their large floppy library.

It's pretty easy to take data in and out of an ST disk image. Just set up your emulator of choice to have a hard drive (which is maped to your actual PC hard drive). Then it's just a matter of draggin and dropping programs, data, etc. on the ST desktop from your floppy "image" to the hard drive "image" which basicly just copies it directly to your PC. I've recovered tons of old text files and such from my old ST floppies this way.

Is 3 simple way to do this:

1. Format blank disk (720Kb) on your ST (standard, for example from TOS) and use it on ST and PC.

2. Use Ghost Link program - it's use standard nullmodem cable to transfer dada, up to 115200bods;

3. Use PARCP - use printer port, more faster than Ghost Link.

• Like 1

Is 3 simple way to do this:

1. Format blank disk (720Kb) on your ST (standard, for example from TOS) and use it on ST and PC.

2. Use Ghost Link program - it's use standard nullmodem cable to transfer dada, up to 115200bods;

3. Use PARCP - use printer port, more faster than Ghost Link.

Cool thanks for all the help :D

(thanks to all of you)

If you don't have a null modem setup and telecom program, not to mention a hard drive, or just want another way using only 3.5"disk drives, here it is:

What you need:

1 PC with a 3.5" floppy that can format at 720k. Preferably with internet access.

1 ST with 720k or better 3.5" drive.

1 copy of WFDcopy to run on the PC.

1 copy of Fast Copy to run on the ST

A bunch of disks, preferably DSDD disks that are not HD. Any Amiga, ST, MAC, or PC 720-820k disks. HD disks will work but may not keep reliably. The second hole on the right side of HD disks must be covered with a sticker or something, then formatted in 720k on the PC.

All needed files are attached at the bottom. First, download and unzip any files that need it from the attachments below. Next, format a 720k floppy in the PC. Run FWDcopy on the PC and select the [file to disk] button in the WFDcopy window. Next, select the .st image that you downloaded below from the directory window. The image is now mounted into WFD copy and you should see a window that tells how many heads, tracks and sectors the disk image is set for; in this case it should be 2 heads, 80 tracks at 9 sectors a track (720K). Insert that 3.5" disk you formatted at 720k on the PC into the PC's drive A: floppy if it is not already there. I recommend that you check the slow sector write box on WFDcopy in the window. It takes about 4 times as long but writes disks more reliably. Select OK and the image will be written to the disk in drive A. The disk you just made can now be placed in the ST and booted up to the desktop.

Included along with Fast Copy Pro are some accessories that I find indespensable. You will have noticed two upon boot up; mouse accelerator 2 and Turbo ST color. They will greatly improve the speed of the mouse and desktop. Also included is Mdisk ramdisk accessory which can also format floppies in PS/2 compatible format upto 820k. the ramdisk will save you from swapping about 4 times per file with a one drive ST system. You can set the ramdisk for as much memory as you have available. Fast Copy Pro is in both program and accessory form on the disk. Control panel accessory is also included which gives you control over the GEM desktop.

Right, back to it. Right now just run FastCopy on the ST, either way is fine.

This is the future of your disk images. Now you can download any of those .msa* or .st images off the net, mount them on WFDcopy on the PC by selecting "ImagetoDisk", it will tell you how many heads, sectors and tracks the disk image has. Set FastCopy on the ST with the same heads, tracks and sectors (everything starts at zero, so 82 tracks would be 00-81). insert a disk into the ST's drive and select format on FastCopy. your disk will now be formatted with the exact same settings as the disk image on WFDcopy has. once the disk has been formatted, remove it from the ST and insert it into the PC's drive. Hit OK on the WFDcopy window and it will write the image to the disk in drive A. You now have a disk that will boot up on the ST, no matter if it was a 720k image or 820k.

*.msa files must be converted to .st files with the supplied msatost file below; just drag the .msa image and drop it on msatost application icon and it will automatically create an .st image of it and display it in the folder that msatost is in. It is now ready to be made into a disk like above.

That's it as far as images go. If you com across some ST programs that are in their native file format of .tos, or .prg, or .exe, etc., just copy them to a 720k PC disk and they will be loadable from the desktop on the ST. there are other ways such as the null modem&telecom prog., and another way that I have not tried yet for .msa files is here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

1. Download MSA converter (http://pageperso.aol.fr/zorg63/index.html)

Use it to cut the msa images in 2 parts.

2. Download msa v 2.3 (ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/atari/Archivers/msa_2_3+.prg)

3. format a 720 kb disk, copy 1st part of the image and the msa program on it.

4. boot your ST with that disk.

5. Launch msa and convert the 1st part of the image to a disk

6. do the same for the 2nd part of the image.

You don't need a hard disk, not even 1 mb of ram (but msa 2.3 doesn't like 512 kb ram)

wfdcopy.zip

fastcopypro.zip

msatost.zip