IGNORED

Suggestion for hacks...

Susuwatari

I'm sure it could be useful hack for anyone's who is really bothered by the oversupply of ET cart. Take the COmbat game, and modify the ROM so there's an ET cart around the battlezone. Each player(s) earn 1 point for destroying the ET cart and loses 1 point for hitting oppoment.

Nothing like a co-op to help cut down on ET cart. ;) Since it's not a matter of graphical hack, it's out of my reach. Anyone want to try this?

It's not that simple. Combat is only designed to display 2 opponents & 2 missiles...so you would need to make some significant changes to the game engine to modify this behaviour - you can't just add in a graphic image, you would need to modify the kernal to reuse the sprites and also modify the collision detection to recognise the difference between shooting your opponent and hitting that sprite.

I like the "Hang On" hack posted! Is it possible to animate the wheels on your bike? I always liked that Enduro had that feature - one of the few things that makes it stand out from Pole Position IMO. (Altho I feel Enduro is almost impossible to win - I played it for hours as a kid and never made it past Day 2.)

Since Enduro takes two frames of animation to animate it's wheels moving (I think) and Hango On is a hack of it, it should be very easy to hack moving tires. Not much, but enough to get the point across.

It was probably done quickly for amusement, and refreshing the same sprite's a little easier than figuring out the sprite desighn for a proper animation.

If I knew how many exactly frames are used, I could design one, but someone who knows hacking would have to punch it in.

Hangon is just a quick hack (a few minutes tops) I made in response to Gamemaster's post in this thread. It was more of an "Oh, that might be neat", implementation than anything else. I didn't ever bother with the Pole Position ROM to see how that would work. With the different colors, I'm not sure how I would locate the sprites in the ROM.

Since Enduro takes two frames of animation to animate it's wheels moving (I think) and Hango On is a hack of it, it should be very easy to hack moving tires.

It is one sprite that is mirrored back and forth. If you notice, while playing the game, the wheels are never the same on both sides... GIVE V2 a shot. :-) The rider still looks sucky - it's hard to make something look good with so little detail. :-)

I have been thinking that if I ever give this idea another go, I may try messing with the Fatal Run ROM. This way, if things work out with the bike graphic, then I can have a little bit of fun with the title graphic and in game text as well. Who knows?! Maybe someone else will jump on it first. ;-)

I wasn't really satisfied with the non-leaning motorcycle. So I wanted to see how the game would look with an ATV 3-wheeler, or 4-wheeler. I'm posting the result. For lack of a GOOD name, I'm calling it ATV Zoom. :-P

Oh, so it's a flipped sprite. Ok. Yeah, I knew it was doing something though. Kick ass hacks though.

It is one sprite that is mirrored back and forth. If you notice, while playing the game, the wheels are never the same on both sides... GIVE V2 a shot.  The rider still looks sucky - it's hard to make something look good with so little detail.  

Part of it is the system doubling the width of a pixel for sprites on this game. If you could turn off whatever's doing that, it would make it look higher resolution, even though it's not. I understand why they did it for a car, but it's not necessary for a motorcycle as it makes the handles and mirrors stick out to far.

Great hacks though, have a good one.

Hangon is just a quick hack (a few minutes tops) I made in response to  Gamemaster's post in this thread.  

I know, but still it's a cool game for a quick hack. I think you did pretty well considering what you had to work with! :)

I'm off to try version 2 now and ATV Zoom! Keep up the great work!