IGNORED

joystick vs. joypad

RangerG

So which is better to play with -- the 7800 joysticks or the 7800 joypads? I know the joypads are rarer, but how are they for a gamer? Are any of the other joysticks (Telegames or Best) better than the Atari ones? Right now I stick to single button games and use the old reliable 2600 stick, but maybe I should take advantage of the two button games.

I agree, those 7800 controllers are terrible IMHO. I'd rather use 2600 controllers for games that don't require the two independent buttons. I need to get a pair of the 7800 joypads. And not just to use with a 7800, but to take decent pictures of 'em for AtariAge.

..Al

In my opinion both the proline joysticks and the joypads are too uncomfortable for longer playing sessions. If you are really interested in any of the two-button games for the 7800, you would be better off finding a two-button controller for any other system and modify it to work with the 7800.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I'm siding with Vinnie on this one.

I used to hate how non durable my regular 2600 sticks always were. And I couldn't believe how much better the pro-lines were!

I still own my original set of prolines that came with my 7800. The only issue I have is that sometimes one of them doesn't want to go in the down direction sometimes. But I found this to be a fault of the joystick connector on the 7800 and not the stick itself. Since pushing it in a little further eliminates that problem.

As for the comfort. I can't really tell a difference. After that surgery on my right wrist none of the various controllers types bother me much anymore.

For most games I use the Joypads just because I've grown use to them. But some games require pin point accuracy and those mushy joypads just don't cut it. So I alternate between my 2600 stick and the joypad. Luckly none of the games that require the accuracy require two buttons.

Tempest

I've never actually seen the 7800 joypad controllers (in person). But then, I don't play 7800 games. So I'll add my opinions from the 2600.

I always preferred joysticks back in the day. Control pads were evil...I couldn't use them because they weren't precise. But these days, I've grown accustomed to joypads. Due in part to the custom touchpad controller I made for the 2600/Amiga. It's sweet! And it doesn't hurt my wrist like everything else. Unfortunately, the second button won't work on a 7800. (It's fine on an Amiga). Maybe I'll make a couple of pre-production units to take to CGE if anyone's interested...

Funny...joypads were one reason I quit playing games way back when. I *hated* the NES because it didn't have joysticks. I actually built joysticks from Lego bricks and stuck 'em on. It worked pretty well.

-Chris

hi guys... i got my 7800 today (used) and the controllers are beat to the bone but the controllers from the 2600 work just fine (for 1 button games) so I'm thinking of getting the joypayds, how much it's a fare price for them? 30 bucks?

Thanks

OsBo

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by cloudmann:

Just go buy some Sega Genesis or Sega Master System controllers (some gaming stores still sell these CHEAP) and pop them open and do a little rewiring. Works great!

That's what I did with an old Genesis controller (the very first ones). It's worked great and both buttons work on all two-button games...except on Commando, for some reason, I have to press both buttons at the same time to use the grenades, but it still works! I have been planning on getting the 7800 joypads for a while, but now that I here they are "mushy," I'm not so sure. How do the little thumb sticks work with the pads?

The pads work OK, I guess, but they feel really loose, and are a little too precise. By that I mean if you don't press the pad PERFECTLY in the up position, your little dude in Double Dragon may move around in a drunken stupor. The sticks really don't do much, and I got rid of those quickly. Check your wiring on the genesis pad. Seems like I had that problem a while back and toally redid the wiring and it worked the second time. You can also wire more than one button to the proper button(s) or wire a third one to press both! Here's my layout on my genesis pad:

A= left button B= right button C= both

I'm using a 6 button pad, so I have X,Y,and Z set up identically. I guess I could go buy a couple bucks in pieces parts from Radio Shack and set X, Y, and Z up as turbo.... Hmmmmmm. MAYBE!