IGNORED

Confusing Team Tap Questions

Saturn

If you had a Team Tap plugged into the Player1 port of your Jag and a controller inserted into the "A" port of the Tap, it would give you control of the Player1 functions as normal. But, if you had a second Tap plugged into the Player2 port of the Jag and a controller inserted into the "A" port on that Tap, would it give you normal control of Player2?

And if so, would it work on all non Team Tap specific games? I only have one Tap so I can't verify this, but before I try to bag a copy of Barkley SUJ, I'd like to find out- if at all possible.

Thanks for any help. :)

It depends... the TeamTap can be detected by the Jaguar and thus the game, therefore if a game is designed for team taps, it can check for them, and thus use any of the 8 ports for any player position it wants. On the other hand, as you correctly pointed out, the first socket on a teamtap responds to the codes for the port the teamtap is plugged into... ie port A on the team tap in player 2 is the same as plugging in to player 1 directly on the front of the Jag, and port A on the team tap in player 2 is the same as directly plugging in to player 2 on the front of the Jag.

... ie port A on the team tap in player 2 is the same as plugging in to player 1 directly on the front of the Jag, and port A on the team tap in player 2 is the same as directly plugging in to player 2 on the front of the Jag.

Are you sure? Is that "player 2" in the first part of this quote supposed to be "player 1" or am I reading that correctly the way it is?

If so, I'm totally confused... :ponder:

... ie port A on the team tap in player 2 is the same as plugging in to player 1 directly on the front of the Jag, and port A on the team tap in player 2 is the same as directly plugging in to player 2 on the front of the Jag.

Are you sure? Is that "player 2" in the first part of this quote supposed to be "player 1" or am I reading that correctly the way it is?

If so, I'm totally confused... :ponder:

Yes, he goofed ;)

Think of Port A in the TeamTap as a direct passthrough to the controller port which it's plugged into. You can indeed use two teamtaps, one on each Jag controller port, with pads plugged into portA on both of them exactly the same if the pads are plugged into the Jag directly.

I know this cos I used to use a TT as a controller extension lead so I could play from my bed :D

Stone

Hello Stone!

Although i can understand what you try to say, i have to jump in and to say that the statement you used is wrong:

Think of Port A in the TeamTap as a direct passthrough to the controller port which it's plugged into. You can indeed use two teamtaps, one on each Jag controller port, with pads plugged into portA on both of them exactly the same if the pads are plugged into the Jag directly.

There is no passthrough port implemented in a TeamTap!

It only seems to have one if the software which tries to retrieve the

Pad-state follows the "A JagPad has for rows of button-data" specification.

And especially the Lightpen-pins and Analog-pins don't work via a TeamTap.

Regards

Matthias

Thanks for the replies, but Stone says it will work and Matthias says there is no direct pass-through.... so it won't work? :?  Or is it just the wording in Stone's post that is a tad off?

I'm lost :)

It's my wording, Matthias was just confusing by adding technical details ;)

Every commercial game which I'm aware of reads the pads in the standard way, and the TeamTap is designed to allow the first pad to react the same way as it would if there was no teamtap there.

Matthias: My statement wasn't wrong, because I said think of. There is nothing at all wrong with what I said, because I was referring to standard pads, not lightguns or analogue pads/sticks. If he was asking about lightguns obviously I'd have said they wouldn't work, because I've tried it ;)

Stone

Thanks for the replies, but Stone says it will work and Matthias says there is no direct pass-through.... so it won't work? :?  Or is it just the wording in Stone's post that is a tad off?

I'm lost :)

It's my wording, Matthias was just confusing by adding technical details ;)

Every commercial game which I'm aware of reads the pads in the standard way, and the TeamTap is designed to allow the first pad to react the same way as it would if there was no teamtap there.

Matthias: My statement wasn't wrong, because I said think of. There is nothing at all wrong with what I said, because I was referring to standard pads, not lightguns or analogue pads/sticks. If he was asking about lightguns obviously I'd have said they wouldn't work, because I've tried it ;)

Alrighty, thanks for the help. :D