IGNORED

Splat! and food fight

Rocko

Splat! and Food Fight are similar, but they are not the same game. While Splat! has you trying do defeat a number of enemies or survive for a set time (it's been a while since I've played it), each screen of Food Fight starts you on one side of the screen with an ice cream cone on the other side of the screen. Your objective is to get across the screen and chomp the cone. You could get there without even throwing any food, but four mean chefs pop out of holes in the ground and chase you. If they run across any of the food piles on the screen, they will throw it at you. You lose a life when they catch you or hit you (no "head popping off" like in Splat!). You can temporarily get rid of the nasty chefs by either pegging them with food or luring them into open holes in the ground. Different foods act differently when thrown (peas, bananas, etc.), and the watermelons provide infinite ammo.

The only gameplay difference I seem to recall between the arcade and 7800 versions of Food Fight was that I think the arcade joystick allowed much finer aiming control (maybe 49-directions like Sinistar?) whereas the 7800 version limited you to 8-direction control. The 7800 even included the arcade "replay" feature that would occasionally show you a replay of the board if your play met some sort of "outragousness" parameters. Very cool.

All in all, I like Food Fight better than Splat!, but I played Food Fight in the arcade when I was a young 'un, so the nostalgia factor kicks in. Any time I sit down with my 7800 I always play a couple of rounds of Food Fight.

So yeah, definitely pick up Food Fight if you're going to get a 7800.