IGNORED

Just got a Sega Saturn (loving it) Now I want moooorreee!!!!

vespertillio

Hello all, I recently picked up one of these bad boys and I must say, it's quite a blast. It's a normal NTSC US version, but I want to play some of the import games now. Folks have told me the Panzer Dragoon games rock, but most of the ones I have seen are imports. I have read about some mods and such but would rather not hack the poor thing apart. I guess I would be looking for a key cart or a game shark that supposedly allows for playing of imported games. Does anyone know where I can pick one of these elusive devices up? That or does anybody have one they would like to trade? I have a bunch of Atari (all flavors and dreamcaast items as well as dvd's available) That or if anyone has any of the Panzer games or any other cool ones they would like to trade or sell, let me know. Thanks all and cheers. :D

Yep, the Action Replay 4mb cart is what you are looking for. Very handy as a save card and allows you to play all imports without hacking your Saturn.

Here's one source but there's hundreds of places you can get one, eBay as well.

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html

I got mine for $23 so you should shop around a little bit.

If you just want to play imports and don't need the 4MB RAM expansion, you can get by with an "ST Key", which you should be able to find for significantly less than a 4-in-1. I'd recommend checking videogamedepot.com or ncsx.com for that.

I don't know if the 4-in-1 lets you play PAL games on an NTSC Saturn.

I have the 4 in 1 and it's probably the best, most useful gaming accessory I own. But for just getting the imports to play with no cheats or extra memory, the ST key is just fine.

You will find some nice prices on Japanese games on Ebay but make sure that you really know something about the game you're buying because, in my opinion, some of the imports are real stinkers.

As for the Panzer games, I've found that they are pretty expensive if you want a U.S. version.

I love the Saturn too and I'm happy to be able to play imports just by adding a cartridge rather than modding or some other weird manipulation.

• 20 years later...
On 11/24/2003 at 1:10 PM, Adrian M said:

If you want some more games, I have a pile of US games that I'd like to clear out since I no longer have the system.

All are in great condition and complete with cases and manuals. Some of the titles are Resident Evil, Legend of Oasis, Myst, etc.

PM me if you're interested.

I really want to know how much you sold this for, and whether you regret selling it. 

I'd be feeling like the guy who paid for a pizza with 10,000 bitcoin.

On 11/25/2003 at 3:43 PM, bargora said:

I don't know if the 4-in-1 lets you play PAL games on an NTSC Saturn.

Just going to respond to this in case anyone else is/was curious:

Yes, you can play PAL games on a NTSC system with an Action Replay. However, results may vary. Games will likely play a bit faster on a NTSC system due to the 50/60hz difference. Also, some games may not display correctly. For instance, the PAL Quake is blown up and goes off the screen--you can't really see your HUD as a result (though due to the 50/60hz difference, it does play slightly faster than the NTSC version). PAL DOOM and Exhumed (PowerSlave) display on a NTSC system correctly.

23 minutes ago, Austin said:

Just going to respond to this in case anyone else is/was curious:

Yes, you can play PAL games on a NTSC system with an Action Replay. However, results may vary. Games will likely play a bit faster on a NTSC system due to the 50/60hz difference. Also, some games may not display correctly. For instance, the PAL Quake is blown up and goes off the screen--you can't really see your HUD as a result (though due to the 50/60hz difference, it does play slightly faster than the NTSC version). PAL DOOM and Exhumed (PowerSlave) display on a NTSC system correctly.

My main PAL interest is the game DEEP FEAR. It was released in the UK in English. A NA release was planned but didn't happen. Luckily, the ROM is on the Internet Archive somehow. But there are probably some other English releases that are PAL only. I'm not sure how to proceed there. Modern TVs seem to handle PAL okay, but my Saturn is connected to the 36" CRT. I would need a PAL Sega Saturn connected to a modern TV for those games, I'm guessing.