IGNORED

ColecoVision Honored on GameSpy!!!

Antneed

I the love the CV. I'm glad to see somebody say something nice about it since most people seem to bash it for one reason or another. Everybody talks about the great coin-op conversions on the CV, but my favorites are the CV only games. Wargames, Tarzan, 2010, Evolution, Destructor and a whole bunch of others are why I love it.

I wish Coleco had made the Supergame module instead of wasting resources on the ADAM. They would have been far more successful adding more power to the games rather then making a fragile and unwanted computer system. Oh well, I will still always love my CV.

Is the Adam really that bad a system? I've always wanted one just because you can play the CV games on a monitor rather than a TV and that would be a big plus for me. But I've never found one in the wild and didn't really want to pay eBay shipping prices as the system is big and heavy.

But I'm curious as to whether the Adam is really that bad as it always seems to get put down everywhere.

Mendon

The CV was unique in it's own way but I feel they could have capitalized on a Mario Bros port and ports of more popular games.

A few original games could have helped.

Otherwise, It's a very nice system for any collector to have...and to PLAY! :D

No it's not!!

It plays CV games...

It has (relatively) fast tape drives.

You can use MS BASIC and CP/M.

(Most gamers at the time could care less about CP/M. Most computer geeks at the time saw it as a big plus!!)

The built-in printer was (IMHO) a bad idea (at least making that the Power Supply for the whole system), but that's easily fixed.

An 80 column card would have been great, but the system died before many 3rd party stuff was made.

If you want, you can add a standard (centronics parallel) printer card, more memory (it comes with 64K of useable memory), serial (RS232) interfaces, and even IDE disk drives.

The protocol for the shared serial bus was great, similar in concept to the C64 Disk Drive/Printer port. Daisy chaining... The choice of 62.5 baud makes connections difficult now (since modern UARTs won't hit that with modification), but that could have been addressed.

It had expansion slots.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with the Adam that wouldn't have been added or addressed had the computer (Coleco) lasted.

In one system at the time, you could do computer stuff, you could play CV games, and you could play 2600 games (With the module). It was a great system.

Problem for me at the time was cost. I wanted an Adam or an Apple //e. I could afford a Vic-20.

Now that I have my Coleco Adam and use it, I can say it's a great system.

(I did remove the printer and hook up a much smaller power supply. :-) )

People say they were badly built, but look at how many are still around and working? EBay almost always has a few. Mine still works. Tape drive still works. Disk Drive still works. I killed the printer. :-)

desiv

the CV actually has a decent library of original games, here's a few off the top of my head:

Destructor -great game with the steering wheel, very unique

2010: Graphic Adventure - excellent puzzle/action game

Wargames - Like Missile Commnad but not, more strategy then MC, great with the trakball

Tarzan - Adventure/sort of platform game. Fun, too easy but fun. Reminiscent of Bayou Billy on the NES in spots

Evolution - Start as an amoeba and work your way up to human, hard to find but a great game

Campaign 84 - Run for President, great 2 player game

It's Only Rock and Roll - Many hate this game but I think it's fun. Weird "Sim" game where you try to make it big as a hilariously bad rock and roll band

Dukes of Hazard -Driving game, merely OK, IMHO.

Pitstop - only console version (I think) of this excellent racing game

Jumpman Jr. - only console version again of the classic

Both B.C games. - only colsole versions and great games. The graphics for the time are super good.

Plus a few more and coin-ops not available anywhere else. I think the CV is vastly underrated.

the CV actually has a decent library of original games, here's a few off the top of my head:

Destructor -great game with the steering wheel, very unique

2010: Graphic Adventure - excellent puzzle/action game

Wargames - Like Missile Commnad but not, more strategy then MC, great with the trakball

Tarzan - Adventure/sort of platform game. Fun, too easy but fun. Reminiscent of Bayou Billy on the NES in spots

Evolution - Start as an amoeba and work your way up to human, hard to find but a great game

Campaign 84 - Run for President, great 2 player game

It's Only Rock and Roll - Many hate this game but I think it's fun. Weird "Sim" game where you try to make it big as a hilariously bad rock and roll band

Dukes of Hazard -Driving game, merely OK, IMHO.

Pitstop - only console version (I think) of this excellent racing game

Jumpman Jr. - only console version again of the classic

Both B.C games. - only colsole versions and great games. The graphics for the time are super good.

Plus a few more and coin-ops not available anywhere else. I think the CV is vastly underrated.

I'm a moron Joey. :P

I'll be checking out those games in the near future..unless I already have them.

BC II has some really impressive graphics. Tapper and Qberts Cubes

are quite impressive 1984 games. Unfortunatly the system is hobbled

with its controllers. I don't think they are terrible but they are not the

most comfortable things around. Unlike the INTV at least you can plug

in your favorite Atari joystick and use it for most 1 button games.

John