IGNORED

NES rental shops that died

ussexplorer

I believe we touched on this before. In the small town I grew up in. Back in the day when Nintendo NES was big. Not only did the single video store / circle K have games. But, a few game shops opened up specificly to rent NES games. Then when the NES system was getting older and the SNES was released. The shops just sortof dried up. Except for the only Video store in town. Also the majority of rental games was NES and not even SNES or Sega. I remeber several kids explaining they have this system or that system and if they had this game or that game. Just to be told they only have NES, some SNES, and some Genesis carts. No 3d0, etc, etc, etc.

You two cents.

Laters......

I used to go to the only Nintendo Service Center there was in Puerto Rico, to get SNES carts, since it was the only place where they rented snes games (blockbuster was available but this had more titles) I moved to the building right across the Dr. Nintendo but by 1994-95 they had gone bankrupt and the building remained untouched... I dreamed of sneaking in to the abandoned building and find myself carts as the builing was left as is when the owner died and it went bankrupt. Then in 1999, a year after i moved to Miami I got word that the building exploded.

But yes thats the story of the only Service Center in Puerto Rico and how the went down :D

There was even an NES rental store here, wich is amazing. It was mainly a video rental, but it had a great big section of NES games. When the went out of biz (and, when I had my NES) I bought the Gremlins game there for $5, it was a great buy, I still love that game, and movie. Nothing like runnin around in the vents!

Some of these stores still exist in Quebec. I was in Lacolle a few months ago and they had a shop that still rented out NES games..though not exclusively. The NES and Colecovison are both big in that area. I haven't seen many Atari games there though. I assume that maxime_beauvois has picked up most of them...LOL.

I remember renting 2600 games in the early eighties. 8)

NES games were available to rent everywhere in Eastern Ontario back in the late eighties/early nineties. Alot of games now found in thrifts and flea markets are left over stock from the NES rental days.

Most places that survived that time now rent PS2, Gamecube, and XBox disks.