IGNORED

FA: 8 bit Atari Rare Carts: Captain Beeble,Frogger II,Epyx

Esc

Captain Beeble is a great scrolling shooter. I figure, in today's low eBay Atari 8-bit market, it's a $20 game, along with Frogger II.

Monster Maze probably would be a $20 game as well, since they are not common at all on eBay.

Plattermania's are listed on eBay from time to time, so I would say it's a $5-$10 game.

I would say $70 is tops for this auction, but that's my opinion. Looks like it's doing quite well. I would have expected it to bring $50

Rob Catron

Frankfort, KY

I really don't think "Captain Beeble" is all that rare; I used to see discount lots of the game in the Toronto area in the late '80s (which does make sense, as it was manufactured in the area). I never did see InHome's "Baseball", for sale though, and think that that must be a rarer cart. "Baseball" went for about $12 in the last auction that I was watching, though, and "Beeble" always seems to bring amounts in the $20-30 range. Go figure. :)

I really don't think "Captain Beeble" is all that rare; I used to see discount lots of the game in the Toronto area in the late '80s (which does make sense, as it was manufactured in the area). I never did see  InHome's "Baseball", for sale though, and think that that must be a rarer cart. "Baseball" went for about $12 in the last auction that I was watching, though, and "Beeble" always seems to bring amounts in the $20-30 range. Go figure.  :)

err,, no offense, but err.. maybe its rare to people who dont live in the same area it was produced? maybe 15 years has mad a big difference in the rarity? maybe these are rare because all the discount lots of em were purchased by a gun club and they used em for skeet shoot?? point is, kind of hard for you to really base a rarity if they were massed produced close by;)_

Sorry -- I was deliberately attempting to compare two games which are largely given the same rarity rating by many collectors. InHome Software was based in Mississauga, Ontario, and they released a few cartridge-based games for the A8 computers in the mid-'80s. "Captain Beeble" and "Baseball" are known releases, and there may be others out there (but probably not).

I've seen "Captain Beeble" at flea markets, etc., across Canada, and think that the distribution run of this was higher than that of "Baseball" which, as I've previously stated, I've never seen at all in "the wild". Some carts which had a limited geograhpic distribution may not be all that rare...just difficult to find outside of the original region / country of distribution. Take those Taiwanese pirate carts as an example: I've never seen one in North America, and they apparently had a geographic distribution limited to Europe and Asia. That doesn't make them rare, though, and I understand that you can buy boatloads of them in Germany.

I have seen three Inhome baseballs that I can remember on eBay. Two in cart only auctions, and one (the one that I have) hidden away in one of the, "I'm cleaning out the attic" auctions

I cannot play the baseball, since I do not have another player around to play with me (yet -- my daughter someday will). I Have not been able to find a one player game.

Rob