IGNORED

Another of my endless questions

Mendon

I'm curious... does owning the 7800 version of a game ruin the fun of playing the 2600 version of the same game for you?

For example, I've been on a Mario Bros. kick lately and have been playing the heck out of the 7800 version. Just for fun, I plugged in the 2600 version and found that I couldn't play that version anymore since the 7800 is so much better, in my opinion. Same with Joust and Dig Dug.

So I'm curious to find out if once you have the 7800 version of a game, do you go back and ever play the 2600 version much?

Mendon

Eh . . . The 2600 version of Mario Bros. is unplayable anyway. I think I'd prefer a Microvision or Altair version over it . . . :) And as for most others, no, not unless the game was horrid on the 2600.

Dig Dug and Joust, IMO, are basically just as good, only prettier on the 7800 . . . And their many ripoffs (Robby Roto for Dig Dug, Xonox' Sir Lancelot (2600) for Joust, and others) are also good . . . Those concepts are unkillable, IMO . . .

7800 versions all ruin the 2600 versions for me. The only games made for both systems were arcade conversions (and sports games), so the real standard to compare them to is the arcade original anyway. Most of the 2600 versions were only passable anyway.

As for Mario Bros. in particular, I loathe the 2600 version. I don't even own the 7800 version. If I want to play this game I just fire up MAME, but I was never that good at it anyway.

Well I was playing 2600 Mario the other day. It had been a year since

I tried it and while the detail of mario is good the game is not very

playable. The controls are frustrating. I havn't got the 78 version but

I'm pretty sure its a lot better, it can't be any worse! :)

Pretty much all 7800 arcade games are done very well and the idea of

playing them on the 2600 is not really an option any more. A more

harder question is 5200 vs 7800. Especially for the 5200 games that

can use the roller controller.

Yes, the debate over 5200 vs. 7800 is a good one. I think in most cases the 5200 versions win. I actually like the 5200 joysticks BETTER than the abominable ProLine joysticks the 7800 came with. In general, 5200 versions of games just feel smoother, and the controls are less stiff than on their 7800 counterparts.

There are exceptions though... I think 5200 Dig Dug is ugly. As far as gameplay goes, I actually think the 2600 version of Dig Dug is the best!

What about Dark Chambers for the 2600? That stinkbomb doesn't even get within a light-year of the 7800's version. The only thing that carried over from the 7800 to the 2600 were the lousy sound effects.

I don't play Desert Falcon on the 2600 anymore, I will automatically go for the 7800 version. The gameplay is the same between them, but I only have the 7800 hooked up, so I might as well play games designed for the 7800 first.

What about Dark Chambers for the 2600? That stinkbomb doesn't even get within a light-year of the 7800's version. The only thing that carried over from the 7800 to the 2600 were the lousy sound effects.

The 7800 version is boring enough, but the 2600 version is absolutely terrible! (I do like the garbage man though... :P )

Give me NES Gauntlet any day of the week... :ponder:

What do you mean Mario bros is unplayable?! :x I just got through playing it last night. Now granted, the 7800 version probably plays better (dont have it, so don't know) But I love Mario Bros for the 2600, and have quiet often rolled the score. Last night, I even rolled the level number, cause I just realized I never did it befor and wanted to see what happened (level 00 is a collect the coins level BTW)

I'll admit it has it's problems, I think the fireball and ghost appear way to often, and you slide even when the floors not frozen (at a faster speed than you can run at no less) And they only have one enemy per level at once (counting stuff coming from the pipes) You can't stand on the Pow switch (if you have it still) and it seems to be way to easy to hit the floor when your trying to jump up. But it's not unplayable by any stretch. My only real complaint about the game is it never speeds up (or isn't noticable) on levels over 24. That, and it slows back down when you roll the level.

To answer the topics question though. It depends on the game.

DigDug. I'm as likely to fire up 2600 Dig Dug as I am to fire up 7800. I like them both, my complaint on the 7800 is it uses the exact same music on the 2600, just doesn't have to recycle the whole tune when you preform an action. Both play great, and that's the important part. Graphics are the only real deciding factor.

Donkey Kong/JR. I actually play both of these, I know people say the game sucks major ass on the 2600, but I grew up with the game and like it just fine. I think the 7800 does play better, and has more levels anyway, so I do actually play the 7800 one more if I'm playng through the 7800.

Joust. Some of the physics are funky on the 2600 version (the eggs go up instead of down?) Over all, it's a lot harder, and the flicker can be annoying. I definately like the 7800 version better in this case. But the 2600's still a decent game.

Kung Fu. I dunno, I just like the 2600 one better, maybe it's the whole "this system shouldn't do that" thing. But something annoyed me about the 7800 version. Their legs. Why are they striped, rather than using a complete sprite? Was it a weekness of the graphics engine? Or was it rushed and not finished?

Galega(or Galaxian, always get the names mixed up) Love it on both systems. It's damn impressive on the 2600, especially with all the moving enemies on the higher levels. But I love the 7800 version cause you can get your ship abducted, and get it back for twin blasters (not in the 2600) Their both great games, but I quiet often play the 2600 version more.

Is that all? I was thinking Pole Position, which I like on the 2600, but only Pole Position 2 was on 7800. Wonder if Gravitar is on the 7800?

Thanks to all who have posted so far! Been interesting reading your responses.

I did find one game that I enjoy equally on the 2600 and 7800 and thats Ms. Pac-Man. While the 7800 version looks more like the arcade, the 2600 version is extremely enjoyable also.

Mendon

But the 7800's Ms. Pac Man was programmed by the guy who programmed the arcade game. Or at least hacked Pac Man and created a mod turning it into Ms. Pac Man.

Huh? Where does this information come from anyway? I can point out numerous descrepencies in the 7800 ms. pac-man gameplay that makes this hard for me to believe.

If it is true, the programmer does not know his own game very well.

Back on topic though what ruined it for me was when MAME came out, after playing the original arcade games just totally ruined it for me when it came to playing any 8-bit (aka 5200 games).

Hard to go back when you've experienced the real thing. But I eventually got over this.