IGNORED

How can I list new ROMs on MAME?

highinfidelity

Dear fellows, sometimes I run into hacks or similars for the MAME which I'm curious to try. As far as I know, the standard procedure is to rename the hack file with the orignal game's ROM name and play it... For example: if you download a Pac-Man hack, you have to 1) place your true pac-man ROM file in a safe place 2) rename the hack as "pacman.zip" and 3) run it.

This is very annoying. Could someone tell me if there's a way to load a new game definition on MAME, so that I could just double click on "pac-man hack" and play it? Thanks.

Yep, Mame needs a way to "know" what type of hardware it is supposed to be emulating...and that is coded right into it. So if you wanted to add a hack of PacMan, for example, you'd need to copy the definition of the game and add it back in under a new name...and then compile Mame.

An easier solution is just to keep the hacks in a seperate folder so you can just have Mame reload the gamelist after switching folders. Or, you could just use a seperate build of Mame that is compiled to run just that game or hardware type.

Hmmm... I see... Many thanks guys, I thought it was simpler than that! Wouldn't it be better if the roms/hardware list was stored in a separate .dat file? I wonder why it's compiled all together with the program... :?

@ PuddWakkr: I'll try to see if the names are in clear in the hex code, thanks for the idea.

I wonder why it's compiled all together with the program...  :?  

I believe they do this to keep the MAME binaries that are distributed by various people the same wherever possible. You are allowed to code derivatives of MAME and freely distribute them, however you are not allowed to call it 'MAME'.

Some things are not considered 'derivatives' though, this being one of them, they even go as far as to ban outright in thier terms of distribution..

There are some specific modifications to the source code which go against the spirit of the project. They are NOT considered a derivative work, and distribution of executables containing them is strictly forbidden. Such modifications include, but are not limited to: - enabling games that are disabled