IGNORED

4-porters: how does the RF box work?

Chris-in-NJ

How does it? When it detects a signal coming from the 5200 it automatically transmits it to the TV? Is the switchbox connected to the power transformer, ie there's one wire coming out of the 5200 itself? I've read FAQs but it isn't all clear to me how it works.

The RF signal (very high frequency AC) and power to the unit (DC) both share the same wire. They are easily separated by a simple choke (AC filter) and/or capacitor (DC filter). When the 5200 is turned on, it draws current from the switchbox, completing a circuit which triggers a relay to switch the signal.

-Bry

Yes. The power cord plugs in to the switch box. The 5200 has a single wire with the standard RCA type end that also plugs in to the switch box. When you press power on the 5200 you should hear a "click" and see the Atari logo if your TV is tuned to channel 3. :wink:

I think the 4 port switch box is cool because in between switching games you don't get all that "snow" and noise. If you have cable with channel 3 anyway.

Charlie

Thanks for the replies! I only asked as I had just placed a bid for a 4-port system on eBay, which I've just won for $20.50. 8)

It comes with four non-functioning joysticks, the RF switchbox/power cord, and nothing else, which is why I guess I got it for so cheap. Now I can replace my 2-port system, which decided to stop working a few weeks ago. Yeah!