IGNORED

People impressed with VLM

kevincal

Well I was sitting there watching my VLM play a CD and switching around the fx banks, and my dad commented on how cool it was. It is really quite mesmerizing to sit and stare at all the cool effects it makes while listening to a favorite cd. Plus my dad used to be a hippie so he could appreciate the pschadelic roots of it. :D Anyone else impressed someone in the family or someone you know with it?

Also, how does the VLM in the Jag cd compare to the one in the NUON. I'm guessing the NUON has no slowdown, more colors and sprites, and more banks of fx?

yep, my brother and myself we are sitting infront of the VLM every time

some drum'n'bass or other bass-music is filling the room.

The NUON VLM reacts much better to the music. And it really seems that

the effects depends on the music, because effects doesn't repeat as frequently as on the Jaguar.

Drum'n'Bass give different effects than an Ambient CD.

Hmm, both VLM's are worth looking :)

Robert

Oh yeah, the Jag's VLM has impressed many of my friends and family. I let it run on random mode during parties, and I always get comments. It's the main reason my 55 year old brother bought his Jag, and the roundabout reason both my brothers recently picked up the Samsung Nuon. (And yes, they're both hippies too...gotta love them hippies! :D )

About the only negative comment I ever got was from my boss who, while sitting on my couch after having spewed all over my backyard (beer and Mudslides do NOT mix... word to the wise) was forced to stare at it while trying to recover. So, it's NOT good visuals when you're trying not to dry-heave.

And yes, it was quite an evening. Heh.

As for the comparison between Jag and Nuon VLM...I'll mostly leave that to people who actually own their own. I can say that the Nuon's a lot less pixelly, as you'd imagine, but it seemed kinda blurry/fuzzy looking to me. But I'd own one if I didn't already have 2 DVD players here.

I'm a big fan of the VLM! I especially like it around this time of year, as I have a lot of Christmas music that I like to play using the VLM. My mother likes watching the VLM with the Christmas music, too.

The NUON VLM is rather different from the Jaguar VLM, and they even vary from one NUON machine to another. For example, I have the Samsung DVD-N2000, which has plenty of effects, but doesn't have direct interaction with the effects (using the joypad) like the Jaguar or some of the other NUON machines have.

I tend to use the NUON VLM more than the Jaguar VLM these days, but the Jag version still gets a fair amount of use from me anyway.

Thanks for all the replies. So it sounds like getting a NUON might be worth it. How many games were made in all for the system? The ones I know of are Merlins Racing, Tempest 3000, Freefall, and Space Invaders XL. Is that all of them? Also do the systems come with controllers?

Thanks for all the replies.  So it sounds like getting a NUON might be worth it.  How many games were made in all for the system?  The ones I know of are Merlins Racing, Tempest 3000, Freefall, and Space Invaders XL.  Is that all of them?  Also do the systems come with controllers?

Add IS3, The Next Tetris and Ballistic and that's all the commercially released games. There are a bunch of downloadable games at NUON-Dome, like Doom, Pac Man, etc.

Had to get the cheap plug in there ;)

Thanks for all the replies.  So it sounds like getting a NUON might be worth it.  How many games were made in all for the system?  The ones I know of are Merlins Racing, Tempest 3000, Freefall, and Space Invaders XL.  Is that all of them?  Also do the systems come with controllers?

Add IS3, The Next Tetris and Ballistic and that's all the commercially released games. There are a bunch of downloadable games at NUON-Dome, like Doom, Pac Man, etc.

Ahh yes how could I forget IS 3. I have the Playstation version but I haven't played it much. I didn't know about the next tetris and ballistic or the others. I'll have to check out that site. Thanks :)

Ahh yes how could I forget IS 3.  I have the Playstation version but I haven't played it much.  I didn't know about the next tetris and ballistic or the others.  I'll have to check out that site.  Thanks  :)

The Next Tetris will take some searching and patience if you're interested in obtaining a copy. Took me some 5-6 months before I finally tracked down a new copy! :)

I wasn't aware that IS3 was considered a commercial release. I have a copy, the one that was given away free because of bug issues that were never fixed. Since nuon was no longer, it made no since to put more time into it. It was really great that so much effort was given so that most die-hards could get there hands on IS3, which K3V was apart of, if I remember correctly. Yes most gracious and generous indeed.

Got my IS3 from Kevin at the Nuon-Dome too. Not the boxed version that came out briefly, the plain disc with "demo" written on it with a marker. And I just got my copy of The Next Tetris, so other than the game Crayon Shin Chan that came with the South Korean Samsung Nuon player, i've now got all the officially published Nuon games. This has nothing to do with Nuon's or JagCD's VLM, but i'm proud of my collection!

I just got IS3 for my Nuon a week or so ago, haven't even had a chance to play it I've been so busy on another project.  I've been trying to get it for quite some time and finally decided to just pay the bucks.....It's new shrinkwrapped.  :)

Jason

Its been awhile since I've looked at anything Nuon, but I think I do remember now, hearing that it had been released and then pulled off the shelf. Was another release done later that I'm not aware of, or just the original? I have an N2000 and an N501 and it crashes on both machines 50% of the time. Was the bug ever fixed?

I just got done writing this story in a PM to Saturn ;)

IS3 was released briefly (complete with box, instructions, etc), but then was recalled because it would lock up on earlier NUON machines. In the interim, VM Labs contacted me to see if I would distribute the "flawed" disc-only copies of IS3 that they had sitting around the office, as a way of saying thanks to the NUON fanbase. I was told to write "Demo - Not for Resale" on all of them because they didn't want to hurt future sales of the game by giving the disc-only ones away, and so there wouldn't be any confusion on eBay, etc of people trying to pass them off as the corrected version.

So the complete boxed copies are very hard to find, the disc-only copies a little less so. But neither is going to be easy to find, I can tell you that much :) And, despite saying "Demo" the disc-only copies are the complete game.

-Kevin

that vid looks very cool indeed..... but, i was hoping for something a little like winamp though

Come on, guys, winamp!

:P It is nothing more than a very wide collection of spectrum analyzers in the style of the old PS visual thingy.

VLM is rarely a spectrum analyzer, and very often the spec-an is just trigger for things, not just bumping LEDs.

There are effects that are music controlled only in little elements, leaving the rest to human controlled or preorganized patterns.

No, I wouldn't definetly compare VLM with ... well anything.

The closer thing was Colourspace (years before), but it wasn't music driven.

I was inspired to play Iron Soldier 3 tonight. I have tried all my other Nuon games out on my new SD-2300, but not IS3. One thing that bothered the Hell out of me when playing on my N501 is that after a random amount of time, my N501 would just shut off. No reason, it would just switch itself off in the middle of a game. The SD-2300 has been running for a couple of hours, and it's going steady. Oh yeah!