IGNORED

Gonna Get a Jag

Malix

quote:

Originally posted by Malix:

Well I have decided to buy a jag. I have one bid on ebay I am winning and a chance to buy one from atari70's. Wish me luck.

The best add-on peripheral I've found is Songbird's rapid fire controllers, great for Tempest and Raiden, if you can get one.

Some of my favorite games include Iron Soldier, Defender 2000 and Hyperforce.

Good luck

Eric

I won the ebay auction and I am getting the jag with all the hookups and controllers for 61 bucks. Not sure if that is good but I am really excited for it to arrive.

You guys should see alot of posts from me here, now that I have one. Need something to replace my gaming habit as every other system I have is getting boring.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two complete Jag systems, with all the extras, like the CD players, and with the way these babies play, I can't belive that Atari went out of business. welcome and buy all the games you can, because unlike the 2600, there's not a lot of games out.

Well it finally came on friday and after a weekend of playing.....I have to say I am very dissapointed. Not quite what I was expecting. I am sure I will be flamed off the bored for this, but the controls were slow and boggy and the graphics were not what I thought 64 bit was gonna look like.

Maybe I was expecting to much or maybe I just got crap games but damn I am dissapointed.

Maybe I was expecting to much or maybe I just got crap games but damn I am dissapointed.

What games do you have? A few of the games are real stinkers. Checkered Flag is a pretty common game that is probably the worst. Which games you have can determine the fun factor greatly.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

I experienced a similar phenomenon. THe Jag initially looked like a great system to begin collecting for, so about a year ago, I bid on a bundle on ebay and was for the most part impressed.

My bundle came with the system, 2 controllers and 4 games-Tempest 2k, Kasumi Ninja, Iron Soldier and that rally racing game. I was, for the most part, impressed and figured that all Jag games were of similar quality. I mean, with Iron Soldier and Tempest 2K, arguably the best Jag games out there, I figured I could do no wrong by buying more Jag games. My expectations were high...

Sadly, I began to buy more and more Jag games, but when each package of games arrived from GoAtari and Telegames, I found myself more and more disappointed! The quality was nowhere near what I expected after playing IS and Tempest2k. After buying about 15 additional games, I decided that I had played the best Jag games and the rest of the released titles were mediocre at best. Even Defender2k failed to live up to the lofty standards of quality that T2k had set years ago. THe Jag CD was out of the question as the games were limited and the rarity of the add-on made the cost of acquiring one too high for even a die-hard game fan like myself.

In short, the Jag is a great game system if you have those 3-5 killer app games like Iron Soldier, Tempest2k, etc. The rest of the games honestly aren't that good. Only hardcore collectors or completists will try to buy every single game, many of which are just plain horrible to spend any amount of money on. I prefer my 2600 to the Jag.

Here are some of the best Jag games available:

Alien Vs. Predator

Tempest 2000

Iron Soldier (I and II)

Super Burnout

NBA Jam

Atari Karts

Raiden

BattleSphere

Worms

Zero 5

World Tour Racing

BattleMorph

Missile Command 3D

Wolf 3D

Doom

Stick with these, and it's not likely you'll be disappointed. Some decent but not phenomonal games:

Towers II

Breakout 2000

Defender 2000

Fight For Life

Primal Rage

Highlander

Hover Strike (CD, cart version is worse)

Ultra Vortek

Flip Out

And I can't let a post like this go by without a plug for the new Songbird games :

Protector and Skyhammer - definitely the best sellers and generally regarded by fans as top 10 games.

Hyper Force - Next best seller, impressive game but obviously a 2D action/platformer.

Soccer Kid - Slowest seller but still a solid 2D platformer with cartoony graphics and decent music/audio.

quote:

Thanks for all the input. I have Iron soldier and alien vs predator those are decent. And if Iron Soldier is as good as it gets then I might not be collecting for the jag.

Remember that the Jaguar is 9 years old, regardless of bits, which don't mean anything. AvP and Iron Soldier were edge of the art quality stuff when they came out, but no, there are better games than I.S (graphically), like I.S.2 for example. Just forget that whole "bits" thing and 64-bit should be better than 32-bit cr*p. Did you know that the most powerful system in the world right now (the XBOX) is a 32-bit system? It blows away the DC and PS2 which are 128-bit, and the Gamecube is a 64-bit like it's predecesor the N64. Jaguar is a system from 1993, that's what's important to remember, in 1993 you had the Genesis and SNES among others. Could they do AvP or Iron Soldier? Not a chance in h*ll.

quote:

Alien vs predator, Iron Soldier, Zool 2 and cybermorph.

You definately have not seen all of the best the Jaguar has to offer, your opinion of it will improve, if you get some of the other games that Carl from Songbird mentioned above. Those are all first generation titles(the ones you have), and while they are pretty good, they aren't the absolute best the Jaguar has to offer in any of those genres, except maybe AvP for the FPS genre, but even that is arguable, it probably is the best FPS game that is or was exclusive to the Jaguar. But you'll also need to pick up the cd unit eventually to get some of the systems best games too, like Battlemorph among others...the bottom line is that you've only seen the tip of the iceburg in both great games and mediocre ones on the Jag, there are a lot more of both to be had.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]