IGNORED

NES mario bros solution

Wow, that site is really impressive! I always wondered why there weren't more fan sites that did stuff like that. It's like a strategy guide for old games.

One of these days, I'd love to see someone publish a book (or series of books) with stuff like this for games like Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man and so on...

--Zero

Apparently you never bought gaming magazines in the eighties. VGCE had all of Megaman 2 mapped out, back before it was possible to use video capturing and image editing software to do so. Every screen was photographed and pieced together. Looked like shit, but helped tremendously. Nintendo's Big Black Book had almost all of the first generation of Nintendo's NES games mapped out...

I used to have an NES Players Guide that had a ton of games in it. Super Mario 1, 2, 3, Castlevania, Zelda 1, 2, Rescue Rangers and a ton more. But I wore it out and it disintegrated. It's gone now, but it was helpful.

I also had a GameBoy version but only had like 1 or 2 games from that one.

And when I got Nintendo Power, I had received the SMB3 Players Guide and also wore that out. Then I got another and tabbed it and used it religiously. Now it's lost. Hopefully not forever. It was still mostly together. It told EVERYTHING about the game. I used it to cheat at the card game. Won every item every time. Just had to notice the pattern and figure out which board you were playing. Then use the guide to turn over every correct card.

it was also the first side-scrolling, run-and-jump platform game.

I just read this on the site. I thought Pitfall! was the first.

Maybe my definition is different than theirs :)

-Lee

Pitfall is not side-scrolling because it does not scroll.

It does not count. The screen needs to move. It is still a platformer, but not a side-scroller.

Apparently you never bought gaming magazines in the eighties. VGCE had all of Megaman 2 mapped out, back before it was possible to use video capturing and image editing software to do so.

Well, I have quite a few Nintendo Power's that have some nicely done maps in them... as well as a 2-part SMB2 strategy guide that I'm very pleased with... but it would be really nice to have a big all-in-one NES strategy book for the most popular games.

Pitfall is not side-scrolling because it does not scroll.

Sure it does... it just does it in steps.

--Zero

No. It is not a "Scroller". There is no scrolling. It's as much a Side Scroller as Adventure and Haunted House.

You're right, Pitfall! is not a scroller... but your fervor is pushing you dangerously close to "fanboy" territory.

;)

Ah... the age-old rivalry. Pitfall!-loving Atari fanboys vs. SMB-loving Nintendo fanboys.

I'm from the Atari generation. But I unflinchingly admit I consider Super Mario Bros. to be a much better game than Pitfall!

That doesn't mean Pitfall! wasn't revolutionary... and it most certainly set the stage for SMB.

No. It is not a "Scroller". There is no scrolling. It's as much a Side Scroller as Adventure and Haunted House.

I think I'm going to get off this ride before it starts :roll:

--Zero

LOOK!

In the end they scroll one way or another! OKA!? :D ;)

remember when there was no online and if you got stuck in a certain level you where screwed. I find myself going back and playing old nintendo games with online stratedgy walkthroughs...  I recommend this to all, I found it very enjoyable  :)
Back in the NES and Genesis days, there were Help Lines. As featured in the blockbuster movie, The Wizard, starring Fred Savage. ;)

remember when there was no online and if you got stuck in a certain level you where screwed. I find myself going back and playing old nintendo games with online stratedgy walkthroughs...  I recommend this to all, I found it very enjoyable  :)

Funny... I've got to the point these days that I hardly play a game without a walkthru. Don't have the time I used to when I was a teen.

I recently dug through my magazine collections for my old gaming magazines. Apparently I only have a few left, unless the others are hidden somewhere. I was subscribed to Game Player for almost 10 years, and I had a few Game Pro ones from the 80's as well. Anyone remember the comic strip with the boy that got trapped in the video games? Oh what I'd do to have all my old magazines again... Those were the days...