IGNORED

Ultra wide pages?

Thomas Jentzsch

Recently more and more forum pages become almost unreadable (~20,000! pixels wide) for me (WinNT/XP, Opera) without any noticable reason.

Example:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=473201

Anybody else noticed this problem?

I just opened up that page in the Mac version of Opera and it looks fine.

Sounds like the problem may be on your end. I haven't had that ever. So it might be a software problem with opera. I never did like the mozilla type engine that runs netscape and opera. I have always been a fan of IE and haven't had any problems yet. I know some people say it is unsecure, but it seems like millions of people use it, so it can't be that bad.

Sounds like the problem may be on your end. I haven't had that ever. So it might be a software problem with opera. I never did like the mozilla type engine that runs netscape and opera. I have always been a fan of IE and haven't had any problems yet.  I know some people say it is unsecure, but it seems like millions of people use it, so it can't be that bad.

Millions of people use it because it comes pre-installed with Windows (it's actually tightly integrated with the OS), not because it's the best web browser by any stretch. Microsoft has not updated IE in some time now, and Mozilla follows web standards much more rigorously than IE and contains many useful features over IE.

To say nothing of security, which seems to be an afterthought in most Microsoft products. Yet another IE problem surfaced today, one that allows links to override the URL in the address bar. So you could be at some scam site, but you'll see "http://www.paypal.com" instead of the real address in your browser window.

Mozilla and Opera do not share the same rendering engine, they are two completely different (and superior to IE) web browsers.

..Al

I don't worry too much about security w/IE. (Of course, that's because it's not integrated into my OS.) I choose not to use it because the Mac OS X version is TERRIBLE!

Safari all the way! :thumbsup:

But when I am unfortunate enough to be using a Windows PC, I do use IE.

I do think the latest versions of Netscape (6 and 7) are vastly superior to anything they produced in the last 5+ years though.

Recently more and more forum pages become almost unreadable (~20,000! pixels wide) for me (WinNT/XP, Opera) without any noticable reason.

I have never seen this problem, and as you can imagine I hit the forums pretty frequently. I use both Mozilla and Safari during the course of my day. Sounds like a weird rendering bug on Opera. How often do you see this?

..Al

I have seen this oddity ONCE on another web bbs last year.

It seemed like the page didn't completely load for some reason, and as a result never "resized to fit" because it was still waiting for data. So I saw several posts all one line high, scrolling off the right side of the screen seemingly forever.

Hit reload, and and it was fine.

Hey!  I got it to appear using IE6 on a reply screen...

Definately not a browser issue

What's with the wide spacing on the emote list?  I dunno

I don't think what Thomas is experiencing and what you saw are the same problem. I have seen the emoticon problem you pictured when the page hasn't finished loading, especially on poor, dial-up connections to the net. Of course, I guess that could be Thomas' problem also. :)

..Al

I have seen the emoticon problem you pictured when the page hasn't finished loading, especially on poor, dial-up connections to the net.

But I am only experiencing that problem at my office, which has a very fast internet connection. :? :ponder:

BTW: Right now again. :(

I have seen the emoticon problem you pictured when the page hasn't finished loading, especially on poor, dial-up connections to the net.

But I am only experiencing that problem at my office, which has a very fast internet connection. :? :ponder:

BTW: Right now again. :(

I'm not really sure what to say about it. It's definitely not a widespread problem, or I'm sure tons of people would complain about it (given that it would be quite annoying). I have _never_ seen it, in either Internet Explorer, Mozilla, or Safari, and I view thousands of forum pages a week. Given you have also seen it on DP, sounds like it is somehow related to PHPBB. After the holidays I hope to put some effort into completing the forum migration, after which hopefully this problem will no longer afflict you.

..Al

I'm getting the problem on this thread now. Thanks a lot Thomas. :D  

I'm using Mozilla at the moment.

Mitch

I presume you are talking about the fact that there is a pretty wide image in this thread, causing the window to be wider than normal?

..Al

Yes. :) Though I have had the real "wide page" problem occasionally in the past.

Mitch

I have seen some weird pages when people insert their own HTML and just don't close all the tags. All posts that follow on the same page are effected. So maybe this is some of the problem, but it is rather a rare to see.

I have never seen any other wide screens (except large images of course) when browsing AA.