IGNORED

PM multiplexor

Heaven/TQA

small progress made... to make more visible have a look on the new version... player data is filled with the numbers 1-4 to make the hardware sprites visible...

unknown still what is happeing if f.e. players 1-4 are sitting on one scanline............ as at the moment the DLIs (white lines...) are mapping each scanline one virtual sprite to one hardware sprite...

post-528-1072276852_thumb.jpg

plex2.zip

If you're using a bitmap mode behind the PMs, why not horizontally multiplexing, to have more than 4 players on a scanline. You can easily add a 5th player by a mid-scanline regchange to HPOSP0 and GRAFP0 (and eventually COLPM0)

horizontal multiplexing will not work since the sprite shifters are only loaded once per rasterline.

Take a look at this screenshot:

You can see two vertical sinewave-text-scrollers

The "endless BOBs" are done by bitmap

The Sinewave is doubled by doubling all Player-positions every scanline.

In theory you can build up to 4x240 "one line Sprites" (the demo uses approx. 200 lines) and here they are doubled though for "boring" scrollers ;)

If you're using a bitmap mode behind the PMs, why not horizontally multiplexing, to have more than 4 players on a scanline. You can easily add a 5th player by a mid-scanline regchange to HPOSP0 and GRAFP0 (and eventually COLPM0)

horizontal multiplexing will not work since the sprite shifters are only loaded once per rasterline.

Take a look at this screenshot:

You can see two vertical sinewave-text-scrollers

The "endless BOBs" are done by bitmap

The Sinewave is doubled by doubling all Player-positions every scanline.

In theory you can build up to 4x240 "one line Sprites" (the demo uses approx. 200 lines) and here they are doubled though for "boring" scrollers ;)

@ Emkay

I think Frohn means that you can not change the graphics data of PM in the same scanline. You can see that the multiplexed PMs in your demo don't change any PM data or color registers. It doesn't make any sense to change the PMBASE register mid-scanline.

...but on the other hand....

@ Frohn

You CAN actually change the graphics data by a simple write (at the right time) to GRAFP0-3 registers (for non-DMA PM graphics). Indeed you're right, with DMA on the graphics data is loaded automatically by hardware on the start of a scanline. But when player 0 is on the far left side you'll have enough time to change the three needed registers to multiplex player 0 completely (color, position and SHAPE!), however you're limited to the far right side to reposition player 0.

..sounds like a nice little programming/demo project for me to proove this :D

-----

mux

@Analmux

I am pretty shure, it would be possible to change the "face" of a sprite mid Scanline. But I would be "not" possible to multiplex 4 players in cause of some lacking CPU cycles...;)

What do you think about a "PM" Interlace mode...Instead of normal flickering?

Do you remember? Interlace with moving elements does not hurt the eyes.

And it is only necessary when more objects are needed...

Give it some "sorting" routines like Heaven's and build doubling of Players with line-by line Interlace. If they are on different vertical positions, you don't need the Interlace...

@Analmux

I am pretty shure, it would be possible to change the "face" of a sprite mid Scanline. But I would be "not" possible to multiplex 4 players in cause of some lacking CPU cycles...;)

Yup, that's what I said too. Here, watch this demo I wrote today (after the Xmas Turkey 8) ). Be sure to run it on a real machine or a perfect emulator that supports midscanline changes. [source code included]

Player 0 is multiplexed on the right side of the screen, so the changing of the PM graphics mid-scanline is proven. There are also several other player-positions changed every scanline, and there's random background bitmap graphics (in the highest DMA mode possible: 40 cycles stolen per scanline)

I must admit it takes a lot of cpu-cycles, especially with background graphics on and lots of other changing registers. It should even be possible (when there are not much other registers to be changed) to multiplex 2 (maybe 3) players each scanline. Which gives us 7 or 8 players (included 4 missiles as 5th player!).

What do you think about a "PM" Interlace mode...Instead of normal flickering?

Do you remember? Interlace with moving elements does not hurt the eyes.

And it is only necessary when more objects are needed...

Like before, you have some vague ideas, Emkay :D . I don't understand. Can you illustrate your idea? Maybe a picture??

-----

mux

Okay, some explanation of the demo: The DLI kernel:

topdli

pha

txa:pha

tya:pha

ldy	#0

sta	wsync

mva	#3  gractl

...Turn on GTIA's PM fetch data enable on first line...

ldx	z_resx

lda	sintab_32_d,x

sta	hposp0+3

lda	#191

sta	z_count

tdli_0	sta	wsync

lda	sintab_32_a,x

sta	hposp0

lda	sintab_32_b,x

sta	hposp0+1

lda	sintab_32_c,x

sta	hposp0+2

lda	sintab_32_e,x

sta	hposp0

lda	pmb0,x

sta	grafp0

Writing postitions of player 0,1,2. Repositioning and reshaping player 0. Color unchanged!

inx

dec	z_count

bne	tdli_0

lda	#0

sta	hposp0

sta	hposp0+1

sta	hposp0+2

sta	hposp0+3

sta	gractl

sta	grafp0+4

pla:tay

pla:tax

pla:rti

Turning off GTIA's data fetch, and making PMs disappear again.

-----------

Here is a screenshot of the demo: imagine the sine-shaped bars moving up.

From left to right:

player 0 [orange]

player 1 [red]

player 2 [purple]

player 3 [blue]

missiles 0-3 (as 5th player) [white]

player 0 again (multiplexed) [orange]

Pmbase = $c800-$cfff (fine resolution)

-----

mux

Like before, you have some vague ideas, Emkay  :D . I don't understand. Can you illustrate your idea? Maybe a picture??

Correct me if I am wrong...

Flickering sprites are because of the usage of sharing one HW "Sprite" every other Frame.

Frame 1 : Face a, pos a

Frame 2 : Face b, pos b

Frame 3 : Face a, pos a

Frame 4 : Face b, pos b

The interlace means a number of DLIs splitting the pos. The face can be exchanged by VBI...

Frame 1:

pos a.........pos b

Frame 2:

When leaving the Background without Interlace and while moving the Players, the interlace in the sprites will not be recognized that easy :)

By using a backgroundcolor with a near brightness to the Sprites, the sprites will perhaps only look some kind of transcluent...

@ emkay,

I've wrote another demo. I think this is what you mean. Indeed it seems to be somewhat less flickery with interlace. See picture of two consecutive frames:

The upper sprites are the same as the lower sprites, except that they are drawed over background bitmap gfx. The middle sprites show what you see without any interlacing or flickering. The two left players use the flickering method, the two right players use the interlacing method. That makes it easy to compare the concepts.

-----

mux

@ analmux

nice done... my engine is nearly finished... i haven't coded for 2 days now just thinking and playing with code in my head... but i am sure that i am nearly at the "joust" status... the only thing what my engine is missing at the moment is flickering of 2 sprites via interlace like in joust...

at the moment it's like on c64 engines that you will never have more than 4 hardwaresprites per scanline... you may ask yourself why? what do we gain then? well... the engine is flexible to be adaptable for any kind of game (i hope so... ;)) so you might get 8,16,24,32 virtual sprites which you can move around the screen... the resolution of the objects will be 8x8x1. your game just needs to take care that positions & move patterns will not overlapp and produce more than 4 sprites per scanline...

@ emkay,

I've wrote another demo. I think this is what you mean. Indeed it seems to be somewhat less flickery with interlace. See picture of two consecutive frames:

The upper sprites are the same as the lower sprites, except that they are drawed over background bitmap gfx. The middle sprites show what you see without any interlacing or flickering. The two left players use the flickering method, the two right players use the interlacing method. That makes it easy to compare the concepts.

-----

mux

Superb :)

I am pretty shure too that the Interlace will not be recognized on a PAL TV when the Sprite ist h.&v. moving.

small step ahead... :)

horizontal movement is done... right now the engine can easily handle 16 8x8 sprites...

attachted the latest version... you will recognise an bug... one of the damned 16 sprites is positioned wrong... but i am too lazy to fix that now... ;)

thanks,

ps. don't ask my girlfriend what she thinks what i am doing whole christmas... ;)

plex3.zip

post-528-1072444654_thumb.jpg

post-528-1072444655_thumb.jpg

8) its nearly here...

started more than 2 weeks ago... with heavy help from c64 guys (in terms of multiplexing basics)... heavy coding with damned debugging weird code... here is again a new alpha of the engine...

the only thing which was possible to transfer from c64 was the "green beret" fast sprite sorter & the concept... all other code had to be adapted & rechanged by me... (as on c64 you have hardware sprites...simple to update by some STAs in terms of positioning, color, shape... on atari except for horizontal positioning and color everything is done "by hand"...)

if you have any questions & comments... just drop me a line...

now back to bed... (after coding & thinking more than 12 hours in a row...)

to do:

- optimise code (no music anymore...)

- optimise code

- optimise code

- comment source code... (i am a hacker... no structured coder... ;))

post-528-1072659415_thumb.jpg

post-528-1072659416_thumb.jpg

plex4_debug.zip

plex4_8.zip

plex4_16.zip

after leaving the code for more than 1 week i discovered several a-bugs... which means logical errors in the mapper... i have a DLI running which should display the players depending on how many are in one region of the screen...

but a test showed that it displays not more than 2 hardware sprites per scanline & DLI which is causing the flickering... after reducing the max. sprites to 4 (so they are mapped every time to the hardware correctly) and placing a "jmp $e473" in the DLI code where it should display 3 or 4 sprites the emulator do not crashed but it crashed when placing this command into the 1-2 sprite section...

this let me to the mapper and it showed that the mapper does not what it should do... counting how many virtual sprites are overlapping and where... so now i am stucked again... but i'll solve this tonight.... :)

for me its not so trivial... here is an example

virtual sprite1 = 70,40 (x,y)

virtual sprite2 = 50,40

virtual sprite3 = 90,40

virtual sprite4 = 110,40

as you can see the sorter would sort these 4 sprites in this order

1,2,3,4 (all y-positions are the same... 40)

so the mapper would now just set 1 DLI at display list position 40 and should copy the sprite data of each sprite into p0+40,p1+40,p2+40,p3+40

the DLI should now position all 4 players in putting 70,50,90,110 into hposp0,hposp0+1,hposp0+2,hposp0+3...

the actual code does correctly the copy of the sprite data, the sorting but not the DLI...

you see... sometimes even for humans easy tasks are complicated in assembler... ;)

or take this example: have in mind that sprite size is 8x16

virtual sprite1 = 50,40 (x,y)

virtual sprite2 = 60,50

virtual sprite3 = 70,60

virtual sprite4 = 80,50

virtual sprite5 = 90,40

the sorter gives this result:

virtual sprite order 1,5,2,4,3 (sorted in y direction)

mapper would copy the sprite data into

p0+40 and p0+40 (sprite 1+5)

p1+50

p2+60

p3+50

DLIs are set at 40,50,60 for simplicity writing the 50,60,70,80 into hposp0,...

so... here you can see the problem... sprite 1 and sprite 5 are overlapping as the hardware can just display 4 sprites per scanline (without nasty tricks... not discussed here...)

so the engine must mark sprite 5 as "to be rejected" as the mapper is not allowed to copy data into p0 twice because of overlapping areas (when writing the player data of sprite 5 into p0 it would overwrite sprite data being copied from sprite 1)

and the DLI is not allowed to set player0 twice otherwise it sprite0 would be not visible (set some cpu cycles before...)

the mapping order is sprite1 to player0, sprite2 to player1, sprite3 to player2, sprite4 to player3, sprite5 to player0 etc...

i hope somebody might understand my writings... ;)

aarg... some error in my writing. here again the example:

have in mind that sprite size is 8x16

virtual sprite1 = 50,40 (x,y)

virtual sprite2 = 60,44

virtual sprite3 = 70,48

virtual sprite4 = 80,44

virtual sprite5 = 90,40

the sorter gives this result:

virtual sprite order 1,5,2,4,3 (sorted in y direction)

mapper would copy the sprite data into

(order for processing the operations is now the sorted table 1,5,2,5,3)

p0+40 and p1+40 (sprite 1+5)

p2+44

p3+48

p0+50

DLIs are set at 40,44,48 for simplicity writing the 40,44,48,40 into hposp0, hposp1, etc...

so... here you can see the problem... virtual sprite 1 and virtual sprite 3 are overlapping as the hardware can just display 4 sprites per scanline (without nasty tricks... not discussed here...) check the sorted order created by the sorter (1,5,2,4,3)

so the engine must mark sprite 3 as "to be rejected" as the mapper is not allowed to copy data into p0 twice because of overlapping areas (when writing the player data of sprite 3 into p0 it would overwrite sprite data being copied from sprite 1). sprite 1 covers p0 area 40- 55 (40+16-1)

and sprite 3 (50-65) so 4 pixels are overlapping...

and the DLI is not allowed to set player0 twice otherwise it sprite0 would be not visible (set some cpu cycles before...)

the mapping order is sprite1 to player0, sprite2 to player1, sprite3 to player2, sprite4 to player3, sprite5 to player0 etc...

the engine logic does not recognise yet that f.e. if no sprite isoverlapping

another one (f.e. y-coordinates 0,24,48,72,96,etc...) could be mapped directly to one player only by setting just DLIs at 0,24,48,72, etc... altering just hposp0.

i hope there is no mistake here again...

...Heaven, just one question, I'm curious:

How much time (cpu-cycles) does the sprite-sorter need (for sorting 16 sprites) ??

Can you show me a demo-pic?

Just put a:

mva   #15   colbk

at the beginning of the routine, and a:

mva   #0    colbk

at the end, and make sure the routine starts at the top of screen.

Then (counting white scanlines) you can determine the amount of needed time. I would like to know.

-----

mux

@ analmux

here we are... screenshot taken with 16 virtual sprites.

please have in mind, it's just the sorted... no data copy & moving objects nor music player nor DLIs... all switched of just the pure sorter.

"Dragon Breed" sorting routine
; www.student.oulu.fi/~loorni/covert/rants/sprite.htm

;sprite sorter

sprite_sort  ldx	#0

sortloop ldy sortorder+1,x

lda spry,y

ldy	sortorder,x

cmp spry,y

bcs sortskip

stx sortreload+1

sortswap lda sortorder+1,x

sta sortorder,x

sta temp2

tya

sta	sortorder+1,x
;  lda temp2  	;really necessary?
; sty sortorder+1,x

cpx	#0

beq	sortreload

dex

ldy sortorder+1,x

lda	spry,y

ldy sortorder,x

cmp spry,y

bcc sortswap

sortreload ldx #0

sortskip inx

cpx #max_sprites-1

bcc sortloop
;now copy sprite variables to the sorted table
;sprites must be rejected who want to be on the same scanline

;copy the 1st 4 virtual sprites as they are accepted anyway to the
;4 hardware sprites

ldx #0

ldy sortorder

lda spry,y

sta sortspry

lda sprx,y

sta sortsprx

lda sprc,y

sta sortsprc

inx

ldy sortorder,x

lda spry,y

sta sortspry,x

lda sprx,y

sta sortsprx,x

lda sprc,y

sta sortsprc,x

inx

ldy sortorder,x

lda spry,y

sta sortspry,x

lda sprx,y

sta sortsprx,x

lda sprc,y

sta sortsprc,x

inx

ldy sortorder,x

lda spry,y

sta sortspry,x

lda sprx,y

sta sortsprx,x

lda sprc,y

sta sortsprc,x

inx

sort3	ldy	sortorder,x

lda spry,y

sort4	sta sortspry,x

sub spry-4,y	;actual position - 10 pixel (y-size of sprite)

cmp #10

bcs sort5  ;reject	if less than 10 scanlines	

lda #$80

sta reject,x	;mark which sprite to reject

inc 712

lda #0  	;move off the screen

beq sort6

sort5                 lda sprx,y

sort6                 sta sortsprx,x

lda sprc,y

sta sortsprc,x

inx