IGNORED

jittery paddles

UK WOMBLE

I know this must have been asked a thousand times, so sorry for that but i cant find a reference to it without spending hours on here.

Is there any way to sort this problem out as I have a couple of sets that are almost unusable and I really want to do 4 player warlords, plus I'm giving a mate a 2600 for xmas and he's gonna need some paddles........

Thanks,

:)

Si

Open 'em up and scrub the hell out of the pots with some Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol.

Oh, get one of THESE too!   ;)

I don't know if you meant this or not, but you need to open up the acutal potentiometer. (lift up the four prongs on the outside and take it apart) I have done it to about 7 or 8 paddles and they all work perfect.

;)

Open 'em up and scrub the hell out of the pots with some Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol.

Oh, get one of THESE too!   ;)

I don't know if you meant this or not, but you need to open up the acutal potentiometer. (lift up the four prongs on the outside and take it apart) I have done it to about 7 or 8 paddles and they all work perfect.

;)

:ponder:

spray.jpg

You know, something that has been on the back of my mind is if a hardware adapter could be created to eliminate jitter. When programming games on the 800 computer, a solution to jitter that I realised was to take the paddle value, divide it by a "step" value (clearing out any remainder), and then multiplying it with the step value to give you a corrected paddle value. Using step values of 2 or 3 often work wonders (with a step of 3, you should never see jitter). The disadvantage is that you cannot do precise positioning down to individual pixels...but most games do not require absolute precise positioning anyway (Breakout-type games would still be a problem, since the angle of the ball is based on the paddle's location when they collide).

• 2 weeks later...
For jittery paddles I use CRC spray Electronics cleaner.  It's about $4 a can.  Open up the paddles, point the nozzle thingie to the little space on the pot, give a spray and turn the paddles back and forth.  Works great every time :)

thats the BEST way to do these;) you got it right! I've heard lots of debate on this topic.. I have cleaned litterally hundreds of these paddles (god I hate doing this tedious, repetative job) and I even garantee my paddles for several months so I know if it dosnt work:).. the trick is to spray right in the pot and vigurously work the paddle for good 20-30 seconds.. I ususally repeat just to make sure.. one bit of warning.. dont get the spray on the botton assembly.. most contact cleaner that is half way strong will melt the plastic on the back of the button and will destroy it (you will all of a sudden see the spring shoot off) Even tho Ive cleaned tons of these, I still accidently spray the button every now and then :roll: but yes.. this is the best fix.. I dont suggest taking the pod apart or rubbing directly on the carbon disc.. hope this helps;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... I just up and REPLACE the pot and get on with my life. :D

Has anyone tried using pots with values other than 1 MOhm? You can find 'em , but nice ones do not grow on trees. Found some cheap ones for less than $2.00 ea though.

For the deep pocketed, I've seen Mil-Spec pots for about $7 ea. but thats expensive to replace one pot. :( The thing will probably never die though.

Hex.

[ Did up a pair with wirewound pots. A little sensitive in the middle, but no nasty jitters. ]

Wow... I just up and REPLACE the pot and get on with my life.  :D

Has anyone tried using pots with values other than 1 MOhm? You can find 'em , but nice ones do not grow on trees. Found some cheap ones for less than $2.00 ea though.

For the deep pocketed, I've seen Mil-Spec pots for about $7 ea. but thats expensive to replace one pot.  :(  The thing will probably never die though.

Hex.

[ Did up a pair with wirewound pots. A little sensitive in the middle, but no nasty jitters. ]

Cleaning them doesn't cost anything (not even 2.00)and they work like new for a very long time. (about as long as new ones)

• 3 months later...

What I do is open up the pots and wipe the carbon resistance track with a q-tip soaked with rubbing alcohol. Then I spray another q-tip with some white grease and use that to grease up the pot just a bit so it turns easier.

post-5057-1083428024_thumb.jpg

What I do is open up the pots and wipe the carbon resistance track with a q-tip soaked with rubbing alcohol. Then I spray another q-tip with some white grease and use that to grease up the pot just a bit so it turns easier.

Also make sure that you wipe the runner with rubbing alcohol as well.

post-5057-1083429355_thumb.jpg

post-5057-1083429356_thumb.jpg