IGNORED

Atari + Holiday Pics? Post 'em here!

The MilkMan

This is later in the day. Maybe even a couple hours later. We're playing Basketball on that old B/W TV. Wish I still had that 'ol sixer! In later years, someone broke into our house and stole a bunch of stuff. The sixer and all my games were among those thieved items.

Look close, behind the TV (to the right if your facing the TV) you can see my 12" Darth Vader I got too!

Also, notice my nerd kid death grip I had on the controller. Geez, what a dork!

Got holiday pics? post 'em!

post-3154-1071352172_thumb.jpg

Oh, is that the joystick in your hand? :P

Stop it.

LOL, i know i know. I figured I would get a little raz from that!

Your dad's grip reminds me of the guys on the first Activision catalog:

Yea, he turned down that photo op. But he totally schooled that actor to pose like that

I got yur Space Invader right HERE! :D

I have to bug my mom for my old Atari pics. I remember one on Xmas morning where it's about 5:30 AM and I'm holding the box with wrapping paper all over the floor. It's an embarrassing pic because if I remember corrctly I'm wearing a sweatshirt with a Smurf playing soccer on it. :D

I'll see if she can dig it up.

I don't think there's any shots of me getting my Atari and it's just as well--I was such a brat! I was maybe 11 or so and I was certain I was going to get one, even though my folks were basically broke at that time. My younger brother and I got a bunch of nice stuff, I'm sure, and I recall that he got whatever his big hoped-for present was, but as the presents were slowly cleared away from under the tree, I realized that there was no Atari-shaped box under the tree. As the thought that 'this is it; no Atari, pal" began to sink in, I got all pouty and misty-eyed.

I was mad at myself because I knew I should be grateful for what I'd been given, but I was disappointed, I was jealous that my brother had gotten his big present and, gosh, I was 11 and it was Christmas morning, so not getting an Atari was earth-shattering. As a result, I was very surly to everyone as they finished opening their presents (I have one of those dads who takes about 2 hours to open each present :) ).

Eventually, I got sent to go put on the tea kettle so that we could start getting breakfast going, and that was the clincher--they weren't going to pull an Atari out from somewhere as a surprise; that was it for this year. I was so demolished as I walked into the kitchen and started heating the water, sniffling, mumbling to myself about how nobody really cared about me and so on. So when I came back to the living room and found that familiar rectangular box under the tree along with two cartridge-shaped packages (one each for my brother and I), I was both thrilled and utterly ashamed of myself.

Now, fast-forward 20-something years. This past August, my folks gave me a pile of Atari manuals they found at a flea market as a birthday present, 'cause they're really sweet people. My mom commented how it was so funny that all these years later, they were still giving me Atari stuff--and I wound up telling them the story above. Well, they had no memory of me being a little jerk at all, just that I was so happy to get the 2600. I sure wish I remembered it their way, but instead I carry with me the lesson to watch how I behave--other people may forgive and/or forget, but I never seem to. As much as I dig my Atari, the memory of getting it will always be bittersweet.

Always thought this was a cool one. Don't have any pics of me when I was little around the Atari during the Holidays. Cheers

Bob Polaro told a *great* story about when he learned about that stamp. I think a friend sent him a note through the mail that said simply "take a look at the stamp on this letter." Or something like that.

Imagine...what a cool way to find out that they've made a postage stamp out of a game you wrote almost 20 years ago. A stamp to symbolize an entire DECADE of time. Wow. What a shock.

-Chris