IGNORED

Interchangable games...

processed

The 7800 was the first system I ever owned besides a 2600... and I bought it in 1997!

If you're looking to get back into vintage games and don't own a 2600 any longer, I would definitely recommend getting a 7800 instead. You can play all of the classics, PLUS you can play the 7800's more advanced games, which are roughly comparable to their contemporaries on the NES and SMS. (Although I have to admit, I do think NES games are decidedly superior, because they had enough money behind them for good development.)

• 1 month later...

From what I've heard, the following Atari 2600 games don't work on the 7800:

Space Shuttle

Robot Tank

Decathlon

Kool-Aid Man

Also the Supercharger doesn't work for some reason.

I've heard reports of incompatibilities between Food Fight and certain 7800 consoles. While I haven't seen or heard about this from anyone else, I can say my copy seems to work fine.

Or you get lucky and get a 7800 that does play all of the above titles just fine. There is also a modification you can attempt on the 7800 to make those FE bankswitched Activision titles work. Also, I believe the supercharger works with this modification. Time Pilot has never been a problem for me on my 7800 either. However, The change on the 7800 that makes the Activision FE games break was to correct incompatibilities with some of the newer 2600 titles like Secret Quest and Dark Chambers. However, my 7800 plays both of these games just fine as well. In other words, I haven't found anything that my 7800 won't play except for the default size of Tigervision carts. A little snipping to their cart pegs fixes that problem... ;)

I could be wrong here... but don't some of the 2600 games that use the B/W switch not work correctly on the 7800 because the 7800's Pause aka B/W button is momentary..

Like space shuttle...

Heck.. trying playing space shuttle on a 2800 unit ... darn switch is on the bottom of the unit!

hehe...yeah that is the tricky part. However, I managed to get really good at Space shuttle using only my 7800. The trick is that on Space Shuttle, your primary engines are fired off with the bw/color switch.

However, what people forget is that you have Backup engines...and those can be fired off with the left difficulty switch I believe. So...I just never use my Primary engines...problem solved!

The other game that is a bear to play is Starmaster. That game required you to use the BW/Color switch to go to your Galactic Chart. If you didn't have this, you couldn't stay on the map long enough to warp to the next sector. However, this too has been solved, since I noticed that the difficulty switches will also bring up the galactic chart. Yet as has been said in the past, the instruction manual for Starmaster clearly states to not mess with the difficulty switches, even though they appear to have no apparenty function.

So in answer to your question, I still haven't found anything in the 2600 world, that I can't play on my 7800.