IGNORED

Looking for a program to organize collections.

Video

Hi, does anybody know of a program that will help to organize my collection of games? I'm looking for something I can put a game name into (or remove it) easily. I'd like several colloms so I can put other info about the game, like does it have the box, the dox, extras, part numbers, what I paid for it, etc.

At the moment, I'm using, literally a 7 colum notepad. Which works, but once you write a game down, you can't move it, so it's a real bitch to modify when I get in new games.

I want something that works like that, but will organize the game names alphabetically automatically. It would make it easier to find out what I have, or don't have, or think I have I don't, or have that I don't think I have, confused yet? Anyhow, Can you help me out?

I've been using Gnumeric to keep track of my collection. It's a Excel clone for Linux, so I get the added benefit of being able to use the same files under Windows as well (Gnumeric can export to .xls). I used to use Cart Commander for a while, but I felt that it was too specialized... it worked great for carts, but keeping track of what hardware you had didn't work very well. Spreadsheets are about as generic as you can get... also, now that I've invested so much time into the spreadsheet, migrating to something else would be difficult.

However, a database app would probably be a more appropriate solution... MS Access would probably work best.

--Zero

I'm looking for hot ch1x to help organize my collection(room)! :P

Cart Commander is the best I've seen it's a program with most of the classic games already installed, I haven't checked out any newer versions, maybe even more systems are supported? But it has a built in rarity guide, which is extremely similar to the DP guide, Rarity & prices. ;) It can conver to html which can be used if you wanted to create a webpage of your various collections online to share with others. the ign thing I didn't care for with classics it's soo off it's not even funny, many many rare titles they didn't have listed. Or they have CV games listed as 2600 & vice versa, for most of the classic platfroms I saw errors, most of the newer systems are pretty much on. And yes there is always excell, if you can learn to use it ;P

You can easily build your own functional and dynamic collection database using a DB program like Microsoft ACCESS, Lotus Approach, Appleworks, etc.

Pretty simple to do, and you'll find the filtering and reporting options on a well-built DB more robust than that of a simple Excel sheet. That's what I use and it didn't take me very long to cobble together.

If I could figure out how to get PHP to read an Excel Spreadsheet, I'd stop putting my games and items in PHP files as variables like this:

$Game[] = "!NES | Metroid | 08/28/2003 |  | %%EBY | %%U |  |  "; 

$Game[] = "!NES | Mighty Bomb Jack |  |  |  |  |  |  "; 

$Game[] = "!NES | Milon's Secret Castle | 10/20/2003 | $2.99 | %%GS | %%U |  | %%B%%M "; 

And it'd make my organization a lot easier.

AAk, I don't want it to download a bunch of pictures and rarity guides. I just want a spreadsheet kinda program that will automatically organize stuff for me and I can keep track of what I got and what I paid so if my lazy arse gets around to selling any of it, I'll know.