IGNORED

nintendo cart help

tantone56

does anybody know how to open up a nintendo cart for the purpose of cleaning it? also what should I use to clean the carts?

Older Nintendo carts are simple to open. They use small standard Phillips screws to secure the cart shell halves in place. Simply unscrew and unfasten the cart shell and you have access to the small PCB within.

On newer NES carts, they still use 4 small screws to fasten the cart shells together, unfortunately the screws are the "Gamebit" variety. You can either spend the money and get a Gamebit screwdriver set (Songbird sells them), or you can check various hardware stores and see if you can find a match.

I really want to try to keep it clean but I dont think I can cause I dont have the screw driver to open them :(

Go to E-Bay and buy one, it would probably cost about $5 with shipping. Do a search for 3.8mm bit. Opening the carts is the only way to really clean them. Alcohol and Q-Tips are not enough. If you replace the connector in your NES, you will contaminate it by not cleaning the games properly.

If there are 5 screws then they are Phillips head. If there are 3 screws then it is the 3.8mm.

Not true.

All my 5-screw carts are 2-way phillips/straight slot screws.

While the vast majority of my 3-screw carts are the stupid security screws, a few of my 3 screw carts(all early titles) are the 2-way screws of hte 5-screw carts.

If there are 5 screws then they are Phillips head. If there are 3 screws then it is the 3.8mm.

Not true.

All my 5-screw carts are 2-way phillips/straight slot screws.

While the vast majority of my 3-screw carts are the stupid security screws, a few of my 3 screw carts(all early titles) are the 2-way screws of hte 5-screw carts.

I was giving a general rule.