IGNORED

Can I buy those oversized Sega CD/Saturn/PSX jewel cases?

Jasoco

Is there a place that sells the oversized jewel cases that Sega CD, Saturn and older PSX games came in? It'd be ice to refurbish my collection once in a while. Some times games come in pretty beat up cases. The hinges break so easily.

I'd think someone out there would make new ones. Or did the company break the mould? Mold.. whatever it is.

Apparently they were semi-standard. I mean, both Sega and Sony used them. Or was there some deal going on?

Either way, I wish they could have just used the hard cardboard boxes for them all. Not the paper cardboard ones, the harder book like ones. Those seem to hold together better.

I may have to win some Lot auctions just to get enough replacement cases. Currently I have my whole small collection with working cases and all my dupes with the borked ones, but it's run down. No more. All my few remaining ones have no hinges.

*sigh* I guess there's no source even for third party remakes. I'd settle for anything that was clear and allowed the back paper and manual to be shown.

Quick.. someone create a mould. We could make a fortune on them.. small fortune... a few bucks at least.

The inserts are even bigger than DVD cases, which really hurts. The only real solution is to scan and modify the inserts to fit in a regular jewel case, and save the originals in cryogenic storage until a cure for no-big-cases can be found.
Yeah. I hope someone finds a cure soon. I just don't feel right displaying my collection of semi-complete CD games. And having printed up covers doesn't look right. I like seeing a solid wall of blue candy-cane striped spines or white and grey striped spines. It looks all purdy-like.

I simply bought boxes of mega cheap Saturn sports games (NBA Jam X-treme) and used those. I was able to get them for about.50 each when bought in bulk off ebay. This was a year or two ago though. I do need some more now, so I'll have to start looking again.

Tempest

out of my 80 something Saturn games only 4 are missing the hard cases

and a couple have flaws like a crack on the front or back, but so far all hinges are still intact

now my Sega CD games, oh boy what a mess

the ones i have with broken hinges, i broke off both hinges to make it even so nothing stuck out then i just used clear packaging tape to tape the front part to the black side piece, they open alittle different then the unbroken ones but they stay shut just like it had hinges :D

collectorscardsandgames used to sell the cases in lots of 50, as well as one other seller on ebay, but i couldnt see buying 50 cases and only using 20 or so, plus at that time i was broke :D

i broke off both hinges to make it even so nothing stuck out then i just used clear packaging tape to tape the front part to the black side piece, they open alittle different then the unbroken ones but they stay shut just like it had hinges :D

Wow, that's actually a really good idea!

Another option is to just stick all the CD's in a big CD wallet, keep the manuals in a safe place, and pitch the stupid jewel cases in the garbage (Keep the spine/back if you're anal). You'll save yourself tons of space, it'll be a lot more convenient, and you won't have to worry about breaking the jewel cases every time you open them (My Bug! jewel case has a huge crack that almost cuts the whole front in half... every time I open it, I fully expect it to snap in two).

--Zero

Apparently they were semi-standard. I mean, both Sega and Sony used them. Or was there some deal going on?

Either way, I wish they could have just used the hard cardboard boxes for them all. Not the paper cardboard ones, the harder book like ones. Those seem to hold together better.

I may have to win some Lot auctions just to get enough replacement cases. Currently I have my whole small collection with working cases and all my dupes with the borked ones, but it's run down. No more. All my few remaining ones have no hinges.

*sigh* I guess there's no source even for third party remakes. I'd settle for anything that was clear and allowed the back paper and manual to be shown.

Quick.. someone create a mould. We could make a fortune on them.. small fortune... a few bucks at least.

there wasnt any deal going on, Sony bought some off of SEGA when they were starting out with the PSX.

I like the rescanning idea.Printing out the artwork front and back and fitting it on regular CD jewel cases.Granted ,the ratio is gonna be different,but Ive done this with my Sega CD games and I like them.I plan on getting a good scanner soon,so Im gonna reprint some labels that came out not so great (I relied on internet pictures).But I believe if you got a good quality printer and scanner,you could make some awesome quality jewel case labels.Maybe even print them out on DVD labels to keep the art's ratio.

On a side note,anyone know where I can get double DVD cases (normal kind).When I moved I had to chunk all my DVD/CD cases so I could cut down the cost on shipping my stuff back home.Also,Im gonna need a good source for CD jewel cases that have the clear inside that the CD rests on.Anyone got good sources?

Even so, the manuals are still too large to fit inside a DVD case. Meh, too bad I don't have a printer... not that I have any big-case games that are worth the effort.

True,but Id love to give scanning and printing out Sega CD/Saturn/early PSX cases' art onto DVD format.It would require minimal resizing Id think :ponder: And just tuck the instruction booklets away perhaps.Does anyone have old SNES cases that are similar to Genesis ones that Blockbuster used to use to rent?