IGNORED

Is Intellivision 1,2 or 3 best?

elviticus

Well, my Intellivision broke! :x Time to get a new one. Should I just get another original one, or try a 2 or 3? I know 2 and 3 have detachable controllers (but it seems you can't find replacements easily so... ? )

Also, I know some games are incompatable... So... is there anything FOR getting a 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Too bad you didn't post this a couple of hours earlier! I would have steered you toward my Intellivision auction. I think the high bidder got a heck of a deal. I would have liked to gotten a little more for it, but, what can you do. Anyway, here it is... or was... :D :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...DME:B:EOAS:US:3

Well, my Intellivision broke!   :x    Time to get a new one.   Should I just get another original one, or try a 2 or 3?   I know 2 and 3 have detachable controllers (but it seems you can't find replacements easily so... ? )

Also, I know some games are incompatable...  So...  is there anything FOR getting a 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I prefer the original, but there is something to say about the later versions and the ability to swap out controllers. But, I also find the controllers on the later versions more problem-prone.

I have a couple of each and prefer the original Intellivision model. Something about that gold and woodgrain that just seems appropriate.

I hate the Intellivision II. It has a funky power/reset button that you need to hold for something like 6 seconds to turn it off. The controllers may be detachable, but that's probably because they are completely cheap crap and break easily!

I have the INTVIII and it's cool. Black and aluminum with a power LED. But they seem pretty rare and don't have all that much of an advantage over the original.

GO FOR THE GOLD!!!!!!!!! :D

I like the original best. II had those damn small controllers and horrid fire buttons (not to mention you had to hold down the reset button to turn it off!). INTV III was like the original Intellivision but the controllers still didn't feel right (plus I believe it's still incompatble with the Coleco games despite what the FAQ's say).

Tempest

My favorite is the Sears version. The controllers are detachable and have the same look and feel as the original. I think it looks cool as well. It could have been used as a movie prop for Space 1999, had it been around at the time. Koenig would have used it as his personal desktop computer :)

-Lee

Well, I like the II. Had a couple

intv-1s, one was flaky and the

other eventually went bad. Those power supplies was really underrated.

Some intv-2 problems and fixes:

1. 6 second turn off -- see Deathskull for soldering fix

2. Coleco games incompatible -- see my page for soldering fix (Word Fun still broken though)

3. Voice module color doesn't match -- no fix

4. Cheap controllers -- could transplant intv-1 controllers or just innards. Also can solder adapter circuit for genesis or jag controller.

5. Some sounds like Shark Shark bubbles SLIGHTLY off -- no fix

I agree with Lee on the Sears model being the best. I actually think it is an ungly duckling of a console to look at. However, the detachable controllers and the fact that it is in fact a Model 1 inside is a plus. I have seen messages and such on the web that the Sears model was actually an Intv 2 design. But if that is the case, why the build in power cord and power supply? Why does the model 1 main board fit perfectly into the Sears unit? My point is that the Sears Super video Arcade is actually a Model 1 Intv with some Model 2 features. However, the voice module still doesn't match :sad: