IGNORED

How do i clean a NES

Swabs, swabs, and lots of swabs!

If you're not looking to swap out the internal cartridge connector for a new one, there are a bunch of NES cleaning kits that were offered back in the day. My favorite is still the (hot pink!) Naki deck cleaner with the hinged handle. I just use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean mine, usually about three goes at it will do the trick, although there are probably some better agents out there.

The bad thing I've found is that the plastic used for NES decks reacts poorly to solvents that make up standard industrial contact cleaners. Maybe someone here has some input on the subject, but I guess most crud in NES decks is water-soluable anyway.

The official NES cleaning kits recommended using distilled water as your cleaning agent :o - maybe this works, but I've been too chicken to try it!

Quick tip: Trichloroethylene will melt your NES, don't use Carbo Sol or Carbo Chlor unless you like the smell of burning plastic.

rpm

That's a very good question. There are many ways to clean your NES (and its carts). For carts you can use some qtips and rubbing alcohol. You could also use an eraser thin enough to fit inside the small interior between the cart connectors and the chassis. This solution works better if you use a security bit to open the cart.

The best way to clean the inside connectors of your NES console is to buy a cleaning kit. AFAIK Nintendo still sells them on their website. Just go to http://www.nintendo.com/ and follow the links to their online store. You can also call them and order the kit by phone.

A better but more involving solution would be to replace the dirty connector socket inside your NES with a new one. The part you are looking for is a NES 72-pin connector. It is plugged into the NES main board very similar to the way a PCI card is plugged into a PC motherboard. You would have to open your NES, take the board out of the chasis, and replace the old 72-pin socket with the new one. This is relatively easy to do and does not require any soldering or special screwdrivers. You can find the NES 72-pin socket at ebay. If you search the atariage forums you will find other threads with info on other places where to buy this part.

Useually a quick Naiki (how the hellps that spelled?) Cleaning cart. For more detailed work, if I'm not planning on replacing the contacts, is to take the system apart, remove the contact, and use a water pic on it (like a water gun for flossing your teeth) works good like a mini preassure washer.

You know, those games going out might be bad cartridges as well. My nes is cleaned and works perfectly. But if I pop in TMNT 2, the game will die along the way. Its a bad cartridge.

But in my quest to play some TMNT2, I found mame. Too bad the sound of TMNT is kinda screwy (and yes I tried all versions, some do sound better than others) but maybe I need a new soundcard