IGNORED

Breakout 2000

someguy

I have most of the available Jaguar carts, and was looking through the Telegames catalog. I've bought Zero5, IS2 LE, and an S-Video from them in the past and have been reasonably happy with their service.

I was thinking of buying BREAKOUT 2000. I like the idea of an updated version of Breakout, but I've never played the Jag version.

Is it worth $50? I've read a couple of reviews and it sound pretty good.

My take in Breakout 2000 is that it's worth it if you're into your Jag and like Breakout. The gameplay is pretty good, sort of like a combination of the original Breakout and Arkanoid, but the animation is really, really rough -- it's not the best looking game you've ever seen, either static or in motion.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my copy of BREAKOUT 2000 from Telegames today. I've spent the last couple hours playing B2K - and I think it's a great little game!

A couple of days ago I also picked up FEVER PITCH SOCCER. FVS is a decent game - but it doesn't have that extra 'spark' that I like to see in an Atari Jaguar game. FVS has a Zaxxon-style isometric view of the field, with flat sprite characters. The gameplay is solid, but nothing out of the ordinary. Although fine for some sports-action gaming, it's just a tad bit disappointing - FVS doesn't in any way show off any of the Jaguar's power - from looking at it this game could easily be a Genesis or SNES game.

BREAKOUT 2000 is a lot more like what I would expect from a Jaguar. Although the gameplay is straightforward Breakout, the graphics are nicely upgraded for a space-themed 3D look. Nice sound effects and music. And although it's fine as a 1 player game, 2-player really shines; it's a lot of fun to shoot your ball over to your enemy's paddle and watch him blow it - heh heh!

I definitely think B2K is one of the better Jaguar games. I think my $50 was well spent; overall I would rate BREAKOUT 2000 an 8 out of 10.