IGNORED

"Backup Highly Recommended"

Jasoco

I recieved my Saturn games from Jillygames today and I noticed on the box for Sim City 2000, (On the front manual cover and the back insert page.) it says "Backup Highly Recommended".

What do they mean? Backup the disc? Backup the memory? It just strikes me as odd. Though it would make sense maybe backing up the memory to save your city in case of corruption or whatnot. I looked in the manual and it didn't mention it.

I never owned the Saturn version, but I'm willing to bet that the save game files for SC2000 are rather large, so they're advising you to utilize the backup cartridge as opposed to the minscule amount of internal system backup memory.

yup thats it they want ya to get the backup ram cart :)

which you will need to play the bigger games so ya dont have to delete the internal memory just to save one game :D

I never owned the Saturn version, but I'm willing to bet that the save game files for SC2000 are rather large, so they're advising you to utilize the backup cartridge as opposed to the minscule amount of internal system backup memory.

yup thats it they want ya to get the backup ram cart :)

which you will need to play the bigger games so ya dont have to delete the internal memory just to save one game :D

Heh. Sneaky sneaky.

How much does the Saturn's internal memory hold? Vs. a standard RAM cart?

i cant remember how much the saturn holds but my Memory Card Plus says it holds *8 megabits

*4 megabits, which, though the use of advanced compression technology, provides a virtual 8 megabits of staorage capacity :D

thats word for word from the little card manual that comes with the ram cart which is made by Interact performance

I recieved my Saturn games from Jillygames today and I noticed on the box for Sim City 2000, (On the front manual cover and the back insert page.) it says "Backup Highly Recommended".

It means they actively want you to pirate the disc. Go on, Maxis said it was OK :D

i cant remember how much the saturn holds but my Memory Card Plus says it holds *8 megabits

*4 megabits, which, though the use of advanced compression technology, provides a virtual 8 megabits of staorage capacity :D

thats word for word from the little card manual that comes with the ram cart which is made by Interact performance

And that "advanced compression technology" made it a very unreliable memory card.

At one point Working Designs had a page on their website specifically dedicated to telling people not to buy Interact's memory cards because they were so glitchy.

Then Interact threatened to sue and WD changed it to "don't buy 3rd-party memory cards, espeically ones that use compression".

They only recently took it down. Darn shame.

Compunding the issue with Saturns is that Interact's cartridges are on thicker PCBs than Sega's carts, and bends the cart connetor pins out.

No real problem untill you try to use a 1st-partty cart in your Saturn. That's Sega-brand save carts, Sega-brand system RAM expansions, and the ROM carts that a few games used.

And that "advanced compression technology" made it a very unreliable memory card.

At one point Working Designs had a page on their website specifically dedicated to telling people not to buy Interact's memory cards because they were so glitchy.

Then Interact threatened to sue and WD changed it to "don't buy 3rd-party memory cards, espeically ones that use compression".  

Compunding the issue with Saturns is that Interact's cartridges are on thicker PCBs than Sega's carts, and bends the cart connetor pins out.

No real problem untill you try to use a 1st-partty cart in your Saturn. That's Sega-brand save carts, Sega-brand system RAM expansions, and the ROM carts that a few games used.

i believe it, ive had 2 interact carts crap out on me but i still have 1 sealed and one open that still works :)

and the interact cards pcb is even alittle thicker then the Cart i got with Dragon Force

i believe it, ive had 2 interact carts crap out on me but i still have 1 sealed and one open that still works :)

and the interact cards pcb is even alittle thicker then the Cart i got with Dragon Force

The Dragon Force cart is likely a standard Sega one.