IGNORED

Avoid auctions from this guy, Boykol /Midwest games

Tep37

Just wanted to warn people about this guy on Yahoo auctions. I bought 2 jag CD's new from him. I was charged $4.50 each for shipping. Which I was ok with because the total was still less than anywhere else. But when they arrived, the games came in a cheap manilla envelope and were crushed. Total amount he spent on postage....$1.33. This a-hole pocketed the rest. I emailed the guy about it, and I was basically blamed by him for his bad service. Avoid this Character!!!

****O.K......my ranting is over!

I usually sell small items for a fixed price stated clearly in the auction.

For large items I warn that the seller must pay actual shipping prices, and that they can email me for an estimate.

If someone emails me, I check the price out on www.canadapost.ca (I imagine the US Mail has something similar) and then email them the calculator page link with my estimate of weight, dimensions, and total shipping.

I found that one of the best things to do is to charge a fixed rate that is a little higher than you think it should be. If the shipping cost is lower than expected, I send the buyer a refund if the difference is over a $1.

I have found that most people don't care if shipping was like $.50 less than what they were charged. Over a $1 and people start to get pissed off.

quote:

Originally posted by Secret Quest:

I found that one of the best things to do is to charge a fixed rate that is a little higher than you think it should be. If the shipping cost is lower than expected, I send the buyer a refund if the difference is over a $1.

I have found that most people don't care if shipping was like $.50 less than what they were charged. Over a $1 and people start to get pissed off.

I use a similar system and it's worked out great for me. I almost always use Priority Mail since it's pretty cheap for low-weight items and it's fast. Many of my auction buyers have no problem with the Priority Mail charges either.

I use a similar system and it's worked out great for me. I almost always use Priority Mail since it's pretty cheap for low-weight items and it's fast. Many of my auction buyers have no problem with the Priority Mail charges either.

Another really sweet deal is that USPS will give you all the free priority mail packaging materials that you could ever want. The GOAT Store used to have customers complain about our shipping rates, but bubble wrapping and envelopes do cost quite a bit of extra money per package. Now, we use Priority for just about everything, and it seems to work out wonderfully!

Thanks for the input. The guy e-mailed me back and admitted he took the $$ he didn't use for shipping for profit. He also said:

"So if I would have blown the 9 bucks on some

exorbitant shipping services and given all the money to the post office, then that would make you happy? If I get the money it's bad but if the post office gets the money it's good. That's stupid."

So he's calling me stupid for wanting all the money for shipping to acutally go towards shipping costs??? Live and learn, I guess..

"So if I would have blown the 9 bucks on some exorbitant shipping services and given all the money to the post office, then that would make you happy? If I get the money it's bad but if the post office gets the money it's good. That's stupid."

I look at it like this --

- If he would have spent the $9.00 on packing materials, that's fine. Packing materials cost a lot of money.

- If he spent the money on himself, as it seems he did, that isn't cool at all. Whenever I run eBay auctions (personal), I usually charged $5.00 for shipping, but that goes for extra packing material and I state this in my auctions. A manilla envelope and crushed games do not make up for that...

quote:

"So if I would have blown the 9 bucks on some exorbitant shipping services and given all the money to the post office, then that would make you happy? If I get the money it's bad but if the post office gets the money it's good. That's stupid."

So he's not only a liar and a thief, but rude too.

Was this on EBay? If so, I sure hope you gave this guy a negative feedback!

Priority mail is good, but keep in mind that June 30th it's going up UP UP! Yes, the USPS provides free materials, boxes tape and stickers. But there is always the one who justifies their high charges for "gas and wear and tear". That is just BS. And what's wrong with recycling packing materials or using good old NEWSPAPER???

quote:

Originally posted by MrRetroGamer:

Priority mail is good, but keep in mind that June 30th it's going up UP UP! Yes, the USPS provides free materials, boxes tape and stickers.

It's going up AGAIN!? They just raised the price of Priority Mail last year! And pretty significantly, also! Do you know how the rates are changing this time??

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

Do you know how the rates are changing this time??

From usps.gov

The basic First-Class Mail rate is proposed to increase from 34 cents to 37 cents, and the basic card rate from 21 cents to 23 cents. Overall, First-Class Mail rates are proposed to increase 8.2 percent, which is below the average for all proposed rates.

and
quote:

Priority Mail

Priority Mail is defined as First-Class Mail weighing more than 13 ounces and, at the mailer’s option, any other matter (including regular First-Class Mail) weighing 13 ounces or less. Priority Mail consists of a variety of items, from lightweight documents to heavier merchandise.

Flat Rate Envelope Priced at 1-Pound Rate

Currently, the Priority Mail flat rate is the same as the 2-pound rate. Under this new proposal, the flat rate envelope would be priced at the 1-pound rate. The proposed rates represent a decrease for mailers who use the flat-rate envelope, from $3.95 to $3.85. This includes many items weighing less than a pound, which accounts for the majority of flat-rate mailings.

2- to 5-Pound Rates Are Zoned

The proposal also calls for a shift to zoned rates for weight-rated Priority Mail items weighing more than 1 pound and up to 5 pounds. The zone-based pricing would more accurately reflect costs.

This proposal would result in no change or a decrease in rates for items traveling shorter distances and an increase in rates for more distant items.

Proposed Rate Changes Reflect Increasing Costs

As with all classes of mail, Priority Mail rates must cover the increasing costs associated with processing, transportation, and delivery. Overall, Priority Mail rates are proposed to increase a higher-than-average 13.5 percent.

They don't seem to mention anything about a rate change for priority mail in the 1-2 pound range.

More can be found directly here.

We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

They don't seem to mention anything about a rate change for priority mail in the 1-2 pound range.

That's good, as most of the Priority Mail I send out is in the 1-2 pound range. I would have been surprised if they raised those rates again so soon. Thanks for doing the digging on the usps.gov site.

..Al

Actually, the 1 pound Priority Mail rate is increasing from $3.50 to $3.85. As Rhindle said the 2 to 5 pound rate is changing from fixed to zoned. So a 2 pound package that used to cost $3.95 to mail will cost between $3.95 to $5.75 depending on zone.

However, there is one good thing. Now you'll be able to get Delivery Confirmation on First Class Mail packages instead of having to ship Priority or Parcel Post.

New USPS Domestic First Class/Priority Mail Rates

quote:

Originally posted by mshaver76:

Actually, the 1 pound Priority Mail rate is increasing from $3.50 to $3.85. As Rhindle said the 2 to 5 pound rate is changing from fixed to zoned. So a 2 pound package that used to cost $3.95 to mail will cost between $3.95 to $5.75 depending on zone.

Ugh! Well, thanks for bringing me back to reality. I'm disappointed that they're raising these rates again. I think they're trying to take advantage of the surge in Priority Mail use that the internet has caused. Priority Mail used to be a good value, especially considering you can get the boxes free. But as they keep raising the prices it's starting to look less attractive. I mean, how am I going to sell all my Combat carts on eBay when I have to put in the description, "Shipping via USPS Priority Mail - $3.95 - $5.75"?

..Al

Ugh! Well, thanks for bringing me back to reality. I'm disappointed that they're raising these rates again. I think they're trying to take advantage of the surge in Priority Mail use that the internet has caused.  

How I understand it, the change in rates isn't as much them taking advantage of the use of the internet for selling goods, but moreso for the drastic changes that they had to put into place after the anthrax attacks.

Thanks again!

Now for an interesting (and Jaguar) related trivia question about the GOAT Store, LLC...

What is the name of the Goat that is in our logo, and what is his relationship to videogames?

If you have already heard the answer, please don't answer as that won't be any fun...

What is the name of the Goat that is in our logo, and what is his relationship to videogames?

IIRC, he didn't have ANY relation to video games, just a slightly unfortunate coincidence that he got photographed...

quote:

If you have already heard the answer, please don't answer as that won't be any fun...

And if we can't remember the answer? ;-)

Actually, I really can't remember everything relating to this particular goat, but he definitely wasn't as closely related to the person you're thinking of as you think. I think ;-)

...if I can confuse people enough with cryptic comments then everyone will have even more fun!

Stone