IGNORED

Atari 2600 ratings on Videogamecritic

Mister VCS

I like the site www.videogamecritic.net , but in my opinion some ratings

are totally incorrect:

Radar Lock D+, this technical masterpiece shoud get a B (an A would be

average if the game has been fine-tuned)

Dig Dug A-, it is a funny little game, but no A-title, B- is correct

Solaris should get a higher rating than Starmaster! Solaris A, Starmaster

B-

Radar Lock D+, this technical masterpiece shoud get a B (an A would be average if the game has been fine-tuned)

Agreed, D+ is IMO way too low too, it's at least B-.

IMO the Videogamecritic likes the Atari 2600 to be simple, maybe that influences his ratings too much. Solaris and Radar Lock are quite complicated (by 2600 standards) so that's probably why he doesn't rate them as high as we would expect.

But why don't you post your opinion (and arguments!) on his board too? He usually reacts if you have some good arguments and are not only complaining. Tell him your tips and tricks and most likely he will revise his review.

Ah, it's all about personal opinions. What one likes, another doesn't. At least that site gives a few lines for you to read in their reviews, unlike other reviews mentioned here lately.... :D

I should have some new ones up myself in the next couple of weeks.

Radar Lock D+, this technical masterpiece shoud get a B (an A would be average if the game has been fine-tuned)

Agreed, D+ is IMO way too low too, it's at least B-.

IMO the Videogamecritic likes the Atari 2600 to be simple, maybe that influences his ratings too much. Solaris and Radar Lock are quite complicated (by 2600 standards) so that's probably why he doesn't rate them as high as we would expect.

But why don't you post your opinion (and arguments!) on his board too? He usually reacts if you have some good arguments and are not only complaining. Tell him your tips and tricks and most likely he will revise his review.

Also, he keeps contradicting himself by calling some games "mindless and repetitive". I mean, he gave After Burner II for the Sega Genesis an F!!! :x

I don't agree with many of the ratings given games on Video Game Critic, but they are opinions and I respect them.  :)

Yup, some ratings are not right (though none of the XYPE ones ;)), but at least he explains quite well why he doesn't like the games.

He does have good points on many of the games, but a lot of them are subjective. Some of the reasons he doesn't like certain games are what makes it appealing to some others, or at least don't bother some others.

It isn't a bible, by any means, but he does at least try to be fair -- and he's been pretty spot on IMO with many of them. :-)

Of course others I've had to say, "What?! Are you crazy?! That game was much better than that!"

It's a fact that there will always be differences. He gave Super Cobra and Reactor an F, whereas I happen to really like both of those games. It just depends what you like really, it's easy to disagree with any review but that doesn't necessarily mean that review is wrong, just different to what you think.

Fs though....damn, that's harsh! :D

• 1 month later...

I really don't appreciate you SOBs talking behind my back like this. I would much prefer if you talked trash on MY message board, which lately has been dying a slow death.

Seriously though, the thing about my site is that I grade on a curve, meaning that the average should fall somewhere around a 'C'. On other sites, and especially in video game magazines, they give everything an A or a B, and as a result, their grades are worthless. I'm not even all about that.

Just my 2 cents.

PEACE OUT

Dave

www.videogamecritic.net

Well hell, Dave leaves his fourth message in a hear and a half. :-)

But seriously... I personally have no issues with VGC; actually I tend to go there when looking up titles on AA 'cos your reviews tend to be more objective and less "I love Atari!" I love Atari too, but some games just suck. :-)

I really don't appreciate you SOBs talking behind my back like this.  I would much prefer if you talked trash on MY message board, which lately has been dying a slow death.

Seriously though, the thing about my site is that I grade on a curve, meaning that the average should fall somewhere around a 'C'.  On other sites, and especially in video game magazines, they give everything an A or a B, and as a result, their grades are worthless.  I'm not even all about that.

Just my 2 cents.

PEACE OUT

Dave

www.videogamecritic.net

You're presenting opinions on games and people are questioning some of them. There's no harm in that. If it's any consolation, I go to your site before anyone else's whenever I want to find out more about a game and in most cases end up agreeing with you as to which games are good and which are not. :)

The main problem with rating games is that most people grade them based on current conditions. By this I mean they either give it a really high rating because of the "nostalgia" factor or they give it a really poor score because they're comparing it against all the games ever made and not just the ones available at the time.

Take Football for instance. I think everyone here will agree that it sucks donkey balls (Bob if you're reading this, don't hold it against me!). However at the time it was a pretty decent game (and the only football game out there I might add). So how do you grade it? Do you give it a A because it was good at the time or an F because it sucks so bad now? Not to mention that there are much better football games out there, but do you compare it to them?

Now take a game like Space Invaders. Just about everyone rates it highly because they have fond memories of it. However if you compare it to many of the other games in the Atari library you'll find that it's pretty average.

How do you properly rate classic games? Even I don't have the answer.

Tempest

How do you properly rate classic games?  Even I don't have the answer.

The way I approach it is I rate it the way I thought of it AT THE TIME. My young mind definitely had an opinion on each game.. so that's what I try to remember. That puts it in it's proper timeframe context... hopefully. :P

Of course this runs into a problem when I didn't play a game back then.. like Pitfall 2. :ponder:

Can one really call someone a son of a bitch, tell them to join his message board(which is by his own admission not a very fun place to be), and then say "just my 2 cents" like it's nothing?

</talking_about_Dave_behind_his_back>

Well, I would get pretty pissed too, if I had invested a hell lot of time into something which is meant to help other people and then some people who have done nothing similar start bitching behind my back instead of contacting me directly. :roll:

This 2-months late reaction is so ruffled that I don't even understand if I should take it seriously. Could you guys please explain to us english-as-a-foreign-language speakers what's going on? I couldn't see anyone bitchin' or insulting, almost every message ended with congratulations on the VGC effort or some philosophy about personal opinions... Was there something behind the lines? It's clear that if you want a website that agrees 100% with your opinions, you have to write it by yourself.

Guys,

I was only trying to stir up the pot with my previous post. I never used the words SOB, and I actually enjoy reading posts about the site.

I think I have a fair ratings system, but the problem is, those reviews have been written over a five-year period. The later ones are well written and detailed, but some of the older ones leave something to be desired.

That said, I'm in the process of rewriting (or replacing) the weak reviews. I usually don't change the grades, but I feel that revisionism is a luxury I DO have. Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement.

Take it easy!

Dave

www.videogamecritic.net

Personally, I agree with the majority of your reviews . . . They've actually been a pretty good guide to the systems I don't know well, like the CV and INTV . . .

That said:

Dancing Plate a D? Why does everyone hate this game in general, other than that Zimag made it? It's a fun, simple, reasonably pretty game, IMO . . . Heck, someone at Sony must have liked it, it's on the EyeToy. :)

Sorry, had to get that one in . . .

I have to disagree with you about Football. Sure, judging by graphics alone, it's pretty bad. In fact, to me and my friends it's affectionately known as "trash can" football. But the gameplay has held up remarkably well! If you play against a willing opponent, you'll have a good time and share a few laughs. It's one of those cases in which the whole exceeds the sum of its parts. I like it a lot.

Now Homerun - THAT sucks!!