IGNORED

Problems with Checkered Flag cart

Giga-Power

Then again,

He could have bad cart...it does happen. I have come across 2 bad Genesis carts in my 3 years of collecting so far.

I have come across 2 bad Atari carts in my collecting so far...an 8-bit zaxxon..and 7800 scrapyard dog.

If the methods above fail...and your sure everything looks okay, then quite possibly you have a bad cart.

I just bought Checkered Flag off of eBay. When I go to play the game the Jaguar font comes up and the entire screen turns red. Then nothing happens. Is there a way to fix this? I'm not that mad about it, I was just wondering if I can get by it. Thanks to all who reply in advance.

Here's a checklist for ya:

1) Check there's no crap in the cart port preventing a cart from entering properly. You'd be surprised what falls in there; when picking apart Irata's Jaguar I found part of a pencil in it Took me the best part of an hour to remove with a pin, but hey

2) Clean the cart contacts (most likely). Use a cotton swab (Q-Tips if you're a USA person) and some isopropyl alcohol; it comes in cassette recorder cleaning kits etc and is also called rubbing alcohol. When the contacts come up nice and shiny it should be ok.

3) Clean the cart port. Same as above, but be careful you don't rip the end off the Q-Tip as you ram it down the cart port because it'll be a pain to remove. I haven't done this btw, I'm not that stupid, but you'd be surprised what people occasionally come up with in these parts

4) Repeat 2).

5) Repeat 3).

6) Check you haven't bent any pins in the cart port in your zeal to play the game. Possible although I've never managed it; I imagine you could fix it with a pair of pliers or a pin.

7) Repeat above until it works

Hope that helped...sorta

Stone

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: Stone ]

I have come across 2 bad Atari carts in my collecting so far...an 8-bit zaxxon..and 7800 scrapyard dog.

I have a copy of Zoop for the Jaguar that doesn't work right. The game worked fine until about four weeks after I got it, when all of a sudden during the middle of a game the music turns off. Next time I powered the game up, and every time since then the game plays at about 1/3rd the speed of the real game. It has allowed me to get some really big Zoop scores though.

I had something similar with IWAR...after a few plays the game wouldn't play the music on the title screen. A few hours of cooling-down time fixed it for now.

Also, my NBA Jam cart won't work if my PC is switched on...weird.

Stone

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Stone ]

I take it that other carts work fine?

The problem is almost certainly (99.99%) that the pins are dirty or oxidized.

Get some Q-tip cotton swabs and some osopropyl rubbing alcohol.

Dip the swabs into the alcohol and use them to scrub all the cart's pin contacts.

Let the cart pins dry, then plug it in and make sure the cart is seated properly.

So your sure that the game is just unclean?

Last night I had a similar ordeal with Cybermorph. I turned the game on with the Teamtap in the first player port and the same thing happened. The Jaguar logo came up(red jaguar font on black background) but as soon as the logo came up the entire screen(where it's normally black) turned red. This is the same thing that happens when I turn on Checkered Flag. I took the Teamtap out, inserted just a controller, and it worked fine. There has got to be a way to fix my CF cart....

quote:

Originally posted by Giga-Power:

So your sure that the game is just unclean?

Last night I had a similar ordeal with Cybermorph. I turned the game on with the Teamtap in the first player port and the same thing happened. The Jaguar logo came up(red jaguar font on black background) but as soon as the logo came up the entire screen(where it's normally black) turned red. This is the same thing that happens when I turn on Checkered Flag. I took the Teamtap out, inserted just a controller, and it worked fine. There has got to be a way to fix my CF cart....

The teamtap has absolutely nothing to do with it and why you even have it plugged in for these games is beyond me...But the red screen your talking about happens all the time if the cartridge is not plugged in properly or not making a good connection due to dirty contacts on the cart, console, or both. Clean them thoroughly and when plugging in the cart, push straight down and you should here a smallish sort of "click" sound, this is how you know it's "seated" properly. It happens to me all the time with many games, I generally just blow into both the Jaguar and the cart to get any dust off and try it again. It usually fixes the problem. When it doesn't, I clean both like stated above and try again. I've got about 40-50 Jag carts and none have ever gone permently "bad" on me...sometimes it does help to erase the memory like stated above too, but not to "fix" the red screen, that's for bugs while the game is running. The screen WILL go red if the cart is no good too though, from what I've heard. Also, before using the q-tip and rubbing alcohol, if it's the first time, take a pencil eraser to the cartridge edge and "erase" first, this will clean any heavy build-up that a q-tip and alcohol alone may not get all off if it's never been cleaned before. DO NOT try the eraser on the Jaguar though, you don't want that eraser rubber getting down in the cartridge port!!!

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Giga-Power:

Well I got it to go at least to the end of the Jaguar logo. The Atari letters came down. But then it just shot off. I'm giving up, tossing the cart....

Your not missing much anyway. The game will just annoy you to no ends. it has some great stuff and ideas, but failed miserably to implement them properly. I pop it in now and again for nostalgic purposes because it was one of my first Jag games and I suffered through it until I mastered the controls, but it was a pain.