IGNORED

OK, just which book about Classic Gaming is best??

landsmarra

• 4 weeks later...

The First Quarter (aka The Ultimate History of Video Games) gets my vote. It's a great book, loaded with historical facts even video game experts may have missed. It's also a whole lot of fun to read... the eccentric habits of important industry pioneers like Nolan Bushnell and Hiroshi Yamauchi are utterly hilarious.

JR

Do any of these books include games from the home computer era in Europe? Commodore 64 etc? Because I got the book "High Score", and you'd think there were no computers outside of America. The amount of classic home computer games that were not included in that book was staggering. It's great as a history of the American classic gaming scene, but I'm looking for something a bit more far-reaching.

If you want an entertaining read, yes - First Quarter (The Ultimate History of Video Games) is fun to read.

However - do not use it as a source for solid video game history. Be sure to crossreference with other sources if that's what you're after.

It is full of errors (naming the wrong company for the creation of the Vectrex for example), incorrect info (attributing things to the wrong people, wrong time periods/mixing several events together, or repeating heresay), and other problems.

I talked to the author about this, and he mentioned he doesn't have control over the book to do a revision. He sold the rights to the publisher.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everybody who weighed in...here's what I got:

Ultimate History of Video Games

Supercade

Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames

High Score!

Zap: The Fall & Rise of Atari

Arcade Fever

I've just started Ultimate History and it's very engaging. As to Phoenix, Amazon had copies going for $100! Why is this? I picked up a new Third Ed. (2001) for $25. Is the original edition the valuable one?

Steve

High Score is a really good read. It also covers disk based computers (Apple, IBM, Commodore), rather than concentrating solely on cartridge based machines. It also has large sections dedicated to specific companies, and is full of large color pictures. It is very cool.

Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames is a good book as well.

Tempest

The Ultimate History of Video Games.  :)

I second that. I really like that book. It has a lot of great stories as told by those who were in the field. Herman's book "Phoenix: The Fall and Rise of Videogames" is a perfect compliment to that one but it is more factual in tone.

Does anyone else have a book called Game Over?  It really well-done, glossy graphic-packed psychological analysis of video gaming (such as why Xevious was a bigger hit in Japan than US).  My sister found it for me and I've never met anyone else who's ever heard of it.

I never finished that book, but it was very good...