IGNORED

How To ID a SCSI Hard Drive?

A2600

I have a 4.5GB Seagate Hard Drive, but I dont know if its SCSI or not, what do i need to look to see if its a SCSI or the other type of HD (I??)

Im planning to use it with my future MegaSTe or buy the SCSI board to use it with my 1040STf

If its not SCSI well its back to the closet with it... and see if I can see a SCSI HD in the Computer Jamboree in Miami, FL (Feb. 04)

• 2 weeks later...

I asume with the time line of computer and most scsi hard drives if you cannot look it up on the net.

SCSI or SCSI 1 is a 50 pin connector

IDE is a 40 pin connector.

Older scsi drives had two long terminators on the under side of the drive.

ALso the scsi will probably have labeled ID1, 2, 3 and the IDE drive will have Master/Slave/CS - Cable Select.

If it is a scsi 2 drive or newer models are a completly different connector than one that looks like a IDE 40 pin ribbon cable.

If and when you start looking for scsi drive adapter, be aware that some of the interface/adapters for scsi are the older MFM style, which don't have a 50 pin connector, although the ribbon has 50 lines, MFM style ribbon connects to the edge of the HD PCB creating a connection not unlike PCI cards inserted into the PC motherboard. Mine is like this. Which confused the hell out of me at first when I was looking for a compatible HD for my adapter, the manuals refered to compatible drives as scsi and never mentioned MFM style at all.

SCSI uses a 50 Pin connector (unless its an Ultra Wide and has a 68pin keyed connector) and IDe uses smaller 34 pin IDE cable.

The label on your drive should say SCSI on it, from the sound of it, if it is a Seagate SCSI, it most likely is a Barracuda or Cheetah HD and should say it on the label.

Whats the Model # of the drive?

Curt

SCSI uses a 50 Pin connector (unless its an Ultra Wide and has a 68pin keyed connector) and IDe uses smaller 34 pin IDE cable.

No, 34-way is for floppy drives. IDE is 40.

Errr uh... oooopsey :ponder: I did say 34 didn't I??? Yup, it is 40, not 34 and yes 34 is floppy... can you say DUH! Sorry guys :-)

Curt

The label on your drive should say SCSI on it, from the sound of it, if it is a Seagate SCSI, it most likely is a Barracuda or Cheetah HD and should say it on the label.

Whats the Model # of the drive?

Curt

I can't give that information yet since I dont have the machine YET :sad: , but :) the HD thats going into her its a Seagate I just have to check and see if its a Barra or Chee! :D