IGNORED

Sinister Atari ST Games

Walter_J-64

it might be some thing to look in to!

I dont know how to code it mihgt be all that hard, he might be just codeing the Motorola 68000! well ST program are small just right for the J64 this might be the new thing for the J64 Atari ST port overs, that would be nice! The ST haves a good size public domain software collection!

If you choose to replicate an ST like double buffered screen approach with objects, the main thing you need to change is the screen plot routines. Changing from silly interleaved plane format to byte per pixel is really easy and the code is more efficient.

So, it's fairly easy to translate an ST game to the Jaguar, much the same for an Amiga game.

I'm trying to get the Jag to read a PC ps/2 mouse at the moment. Hopefully It'll work and I can convert Centipede.

Gordon.

Okay, looks like I have another reason to fire up the latest version of Steem! I looked at the Painter movie, was that actually running on the Jaguar? Looks to me like a cross between Qix and Amidar, but with more variety. The 3D animated fuji symbol on the intro screen is nice. Should I add this title to our In Development page? When do you think it'll be finished?

Would be cool to see some of those other titles ported to the Jaguar also. I look forward to seeing updates as you make progress!

..Al

Most of the ST code I wrote used custom blitting routines which did some crazy things in the name of speed and efficiency. One of the coolest features of the blitting routines was the fact that they could collision detect based on any combination of planes (colors), all this was used in combination with horizontal blank interrupts to create screens with losts of colors and multiple screen resolutions onscreen at one time. The downside is that the collision detect based on bitplanes was relied on exclusively for the collision. It would require major rework to make it go on the Jaguar.

I looked at the Painter movie, was that actually running on the Jaguar?  

Yes. There's an older version on the newest version of the BJL ROM, and available for download in some places. I have the new one however

And I like it

Good work Gordon! /me wants centipede

Stone

Painter is essentially ready to go for the Jaguar. I only have to add some sound effects and design a few more levels. It will be released on CD after Carl Forhan releases his Protector SE with the JagFree CD boot code.

It's pretty amazing what can be done on the Atari ST considering some of it's limitations. The Jaguar has great potential mostly untapped as yet. I'm hoping that the ability to release games on CD will spur some new developments.

I will at some point allow people access to some of our better source routines which may help other developers. The scrolling playfield routines from Slam Racer use very little processor time and would be a good starting point for many 2D overhead games or platform type games. We also have some object list management which allows you to add, modify or delete objects without rebuilding the list. We also have the Sinister Music module, which allows a soundtracker module and 4 seperate channels of samples to be played back simultaneously. If anyone wants the music routines, just let me know, they are available now. The other stuff will take me a while to disentangle from existing code and comment sufficiently.

Regards,

Gordon Gibson

quote:

Originally posted by Thunderbird:

Most of the ST code I wrote used custom blitting routines which did some crazy things in the name of speed and efficiency. One of the coolest features of the blitting routines was the fact that they could collision detect based on any combination of planes (colors), all this was used in combination with horizontal blank interrupts to create screens with losts of colors and multiple screen resolutions onscreen at one time. The downside is that the collision detect based on bitplanes was relied on exclusively for the collision. It would require major rework to make it go on the Jaguar.

Thunderbird, did some of your ST work survive somwhere? I would love to see it.

A nice thing of the Atari ST bitplanes was that you could do parallel scrolling (2 layers with 4 colors each), transparancy effects and you could make big colorfull scrollers with only moving 1/4 of the data (e.g. LED-scrollers). Things that are more difficult/time costly to do without bitplanes.

Drawback of bitplanes was that it is more difficult/time costly to address individual pixels.

Robert

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: Robert ]

I have a game called "Mecha Naught", which is complete and was going to go on sale and then my publisher abandoned the Atari platform. This was late 1993 and Atari came out with the Jag, so I moved on to that.

I'm waiting for an amulator that's good enough to play the game and then I'll probably release it. Unless someone wants to buy the rights to it from me before then.

Thunderbird

ScatoLOGIC

quote:

Originally posted by Thunderbird:

I'm waiting for an amulator that's good enough to play the game and then I'll probably release it. Unless someone wants to buy the rights to it from me before then.

Why wait for an emulator. I can play it on a real ST :-) If it is as good as BattleSphere I'll want to buy a copy.

STeeM and SainT are good emulators but they still can't run my screen in the "Nostalgia Demo" correctly because I used an uncommon type of hardware scroll trick.

Robert