IGNORED

Black Ice White Noise Video Clips @ Jagcube

Clint Thompson

I can't believe how great BIWN looks! Why did Atari abandon such a great looking game? Looks like they were finally getting their act together with some decient looking games, and released some crap as filler until the better games came out. Of course one good game doesn't make up for the other 30+ bad ones.

I wish some other developer had picked this one up for another system rather than letting it rot. I was really getting into those clips.

Tempest

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Tempest ]

• Like 1

Seems like the FMV clips were a little bit cheezy. Maybe it was the actors or something. To be honest, I would have done them with CGI characters instead. CGI animation was pretty inexpensive even back then. I guess you'd still need voice actors though.

The game engine itself seems pretty cool, and the cityscape was nicely done.

Too bad they dropped the ball!

• Like 1

Reminds me of the film Johnny Mnemonic...very cyberpunk...

Seems like the guns guy was reused in Kingpin too

But why shoot him? You're mad, Clint

T's right, the engine looked excellent. I'd have expected the streets to be a lot narrower to explain the lack of human / aerial traffic, and the wild drop at the clipping edge looks a little suspect, but otherwise very cool. I want Go finish it someone

Stone

Even if you could find the source code I don't think there's enough there to finish. Where would you dig up the voice and live video actors? I suppose if you got rid of the live video and voice with alot of work you might be able to make BIWN into a somewhat interstering game, but it's just not practical. I'd love to see it finished but its just not going to happen. I suppose an Alpha release is better than nothing at all.

Tempest

I just don't think the source code still even exists. A lot of this stuff was trashed by Atari in their last days. Sort of "scuttle the ship" approach.

I head stories of Jag hardware and alpine boards piled into a dumpster. The dumpster was in a locked cage of some sort and the stuff couldn't be reached by divers.

I also heard of orders to "crush" stuff.

IIRC, all the voice acting and video was done, you've probably all heard about the Trent Reznor fiasco (no in-game music).

The 'teleport' was (again, iirc) a combination of debug code and actual gameplay...I think it was going to play *some* part in the game (moving around cyberspace) but the direct location-to-location movement was for debug.

Crushing is definitely a persistent rumour...knwo knows? Sad though /me wants an Alpine.

Come to think of it, a clear XBOX would be nice too...maybe it'd even incite me to learn DirectX

Stone

Has anyone found or tried to contact any of Atari's Jaguar programmers? I know we've managed to track down most of the 2600 and 5200 programmers over the years, but I haven't heard anything about Jaguar programmers. Maybe one of them saved some of the source code? If I was a programmer I'd probably try to smuggle out some development equipment if I knew Atari was just going to trash it.

Tempest

To answer the question about that DEBUG code and GAMEPLAY... it's nothing to do with debug.

It was supposed to be implemted as the "TAXI" so you would walk up to a taxi-cab and then it would come up with this access-screen to type in the location you want to go to (then, of course, the taxi would drive you there)

They didn't get to implement the cut scenes and the taxi itself, they just made it "functional" for the current.

Your not going to find the source code anywhere at all. Even if you could, I seriously doubt they would just give it to you anyhow. The game is far from ever being completed, that's just how big the game was going to be. I'm sure it would take at least 5 people and a couple more years to complete.

Last I remember, I heard someone saying TELEGAMES bought BIWN from Atari, but I'm not sure how true this is.

Smuggle? lol, yea no kidding, aside from that fact that you KNOW you were going to loose your job in a few weeks or months anyhow! I'm sure they didn't care and were just as pissed off and their minds weren't clear. I know it would piss me off working for a company for 5+ years and have them say..."Oh, by the way, you need to pack your shit and get outta here in about 4 days, we're going out of business, good luck in the future tho sucka! Oh, no, you can't have that alpine either! nope, stay away from the hard drive (SECURITY!! He's asking too many questions! someone smack him!) ;-)

=)

Clint

No no, I'm talking about real Jaguar programmers!

Seriously though, I don't suppose you had any contact with any other Jaguar programmers did you? You made Battlesphere well after the Jag and Atari was dead right? So you had no contact with either?

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Jess Ragan:

I couldn't get the clips to work. What was this game like, anyway? Was it a traditional RPG a'la Final Fantasy, or more of an adventure like Shenmue or Omikron?

JR

I have a feeling you hit pretty close to the mark with Omikron. I remember it being compared to Virtuoso or Hell: Cyberpunk Thriller for the 3DO, back in the day, but it seems alot more like Omikron to me...to bad too, that it wasn't completed that is...I love Omikron.

Tempest,

Battlesphere was in development while the Jaguar was alive and kicking. 4Play were in contact with Atari. There has been plenty of contact with Jaguar programmers, hence the release of games such as Protector, Skyhammer, Hyperforce. These are games that were programmed back when the Jag was alive as well, and Carl got the permission to use them from the programmers. I'm sure some other people can expand on this better than I can. But I think you're a little confused on the recent Jag releases, so far none of them have been games that were started fresh from scratch after the Jaguar died.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: MightyFrog ]

Oh, I assumed that Battlesphere was the only game made after the Jag's demise. I didn't know it had been in development during the Jag years. Yeah I knew about the rest of the Songbird releases being completed long ago (when the Jag was kickin').

Anyone think we'll actually see a Jag homebrew released? Lots of talk but nothing to show for it. Gorf Pluz (or whatever it's called this week) looks like it may be the first.

Tempest