IGNORED

Backfire a MILLION times better on a real TV

StanJr

I got Backfire for Christmas and immediately popped it in to the ol VCS and BAMMO! It was WAY better on the real system than through the emulator. I run z26 and for some reason everything was TINY when I played it on the emu, but when I play it on the system and TV everything is a good size and the game is MUCH more fun. I'm totally able to hit the bonus middle ships and die less frequently due to the nervous cannons when the enemy ship reaches the outer most layers.

This has resulted in a much higher enjoyment level and much better scores! So if you were iffy about Backfire, you will probably be a fan when you get it home on a real system and TV. Its a great game!

Stanfire :) :) :)

It's quite a strange idea when you think about it - getting a VCS game for Xmas, just like it's 1982 again. But it's a good thing, and there's no question you have a fuller experience playing the game this way. I tried Backfire a few weeks ago but couldn't get anywhere with it. I didn't give it enough of a chance, it seems. Too busy trying to learn how to control the craft in Thrust+. :)

I'm glad that you like it better on a real VCS. On the VCS it's challenging. In an emulator it's impossible.

My current high score is 6,045. If you can beat that, you'll probably have the record for a while. I've been so busy with other things (not Atari related) that I haven't played Backfire in about two months.

Sorry about that.

Since I haven't played it in a while, you're probably better at it than me at this point. I'm sure you'll break the record soon.

I have a 19" TV that I used for developing the game (with my Cuttle Cart). Now that I have Backfire on cartridge, when I do play it, I play it on my 27" TV in my living room. The difference in screen size really throws off my timing.

How about this... The first person who breaks the score I mentioned in the instruction manual and emails me a photo (of an actual TV, not an emulator) will get their name and score mentioned in the manual for the next game that I write (whenever that is).

YOU ARE ON! I nearly broke 2K last night and I'm getting good at hitting the middle command and transport ships, but occasionally the screen gets SO full of reflective shields I can hardly shoot anything with blowing myself to bits!

I also have the annoying habit of getting an extra ship and then immediately doing something utterly stupid to lose it again. :x

Love the game, and NOW I am on a mission! :) :) :) :)

This is SO cool - I love it when people post pic's of their high scores. There's a high score database on the 'net (forget the site) but anyone can submit whatever score they want - they should have to submit a pic.

Stan - I love how we can see you taking the pic - a proud gamer lining up the shot! :)