IGNORED

How will prices and the rarity guide be affected by...

Gryphon787

"Protector" is already less desirable than "Protector Special Edition" in the eyes of buyers. "BattleSphere" will probably be more rare than "BattleSphere Gold" eventually, from the sounds of it, but "Battle Sphere Gold" will now be the one that is sought after.

Depending on how they rate these things, the new games will probably be more valuable. The ratings could go on availability, however. The ScatoLOGIC website states that no more BattleSphere carts will be produced. I do not know the fate of Protector, but it is still available without diving into second-hand markets.

I think the rarity guide at AtariAge is based somewhat on availability... from what I've read. I'd think that, with their current rating system, a "7" would be given to Protector AND Protector S.E. until the title is no longer available from Atari dealers. BattleSphere will probably remain at "8" while BattleSphere Gold becomes a "7," as long as they are available from dealers.

That's just an educated guess, mind you. ; )

Now, where are those confirmed prototypes that were going to be added to the Jaguar rarity guide?

quote:

Originally posted by MegaData:

Now, where are those confirmed prototypes that were going to be added to the Jaguar rarity guide?

Soon. They are on a large list of items that Alex and I will start tackling as soon as the current projects we're working on (read: the ones that pay the bills) are finished.

As for Protector and BattleSphere, since it's unlikely that the original carts will continue to be produced, I imagine they are going to be harder to find. Most of these have been purchased by collectors, since these titles weren't available on retail shelves when the Jaguar was still actively being sold. So the few Protectors and BattleSpheres that do become available will probably be from collectors who want to upgrade to the newer game, or people just getting out of the Jaguar entirely. I doubt we'll see too many Jaguar collectors ditch their copies of Protector and BattleSphere, even if they do get the newer versions of these games (I know I won't be!)

I'm not really sure yet how this will affect rarity of the existing titles, since neither of these games pop up very often. As for the new titles, certainly there won't be many of these floating around on the open market anytime soon. So on that basis, you'd almost have to give them a 9 or 10 until they've been in production a while. Really, these should probably be in the database as "Modern Era", which is how we've been classifying all the 2600 homebrew games. It just doesn't seem right to assign a number 1-10 to games that are just now coming out.

..Al