IGNORED

Diffenent Versions of Cybermorph

atarifan49

Hey,

Was working with JagMod on testing a checksum program and we think we identified a third version of Cybermorph. This particular copy of Cybermorph is a 2MB version in a black case with just J9000 (not J9000E) and part number 700700 (no -02 or -03). I suspect this particular cartridge was included in the very first Jaguars that shipped.

Anyway, other than the main noticable difference between the 1MB and 2MB version, has anyone notice any difference between some of the 2MB versions? Are there different versions because Atari found bugs in the game and fixed them with different production runs?

Weird that there would be four versions of the game. Anyone else have this particular copy?

Later,

Glenn

You mean like this?

Cybermorph_Cart.jpg

That is my cybermorph that I got in a Jaguar lot for Christmas 2002. I had wondered why I hadn't see any other 2meg label versions quite like mine. But then I just figured it was more of Atari's mysteries like so many others. Still, I don't think this particular cart is any more rare than the standard 2meg version. Could be more common in fact...I don't know.

But I believe this is the one your talking about correct?

But I believe this is the one your talking about correct?

That is it!

Not saying that there is any rarity in it. Just makes you wonder why Atari would have four versions of the game. And yet they push a game like Doom to market and only make one version and never bother to go back and fix the network bug when they already had the best console version of the game on the market.

I'll have to try and do a compare of the two two different versions of I have of the 2MB game and see if there is really any differences at all.

Later,

Glenn

Just makes you wonder why Atari would have four versions of the game.  And yet they push a game like Doom to market and only make one version and never bother to go back and fix the network bug when they already had the best console version of the game on the market.

Maybe it is because "sales" of Cybermorph were directly tied to Jaguar sales and new copies could be made as orders came in.. whereas Doom had to stand on its own and may have only had one production run.

I am only theorizing though...

The real reason is probably more sinister - being that the Tramiel Atari seemingly did everything in its power to ensure failure. ;)

Just makes you wonder why Atari would have four versions of the game.  And yet they push a game like Doom to market and only make one version and never bother to go back and fix the network bug when they already had the best console version of the game on the market.

Maybe it is because "sales" of Cybermorph were directly tied to Jaguar sales and new copies could be made as orders came in.. whereas Doom had to stand on its own and may have only had one production run.

I am only theorizing though...

The real reason is probably more sinister - being that the Tramiel Atari seemingly did everything in its power to ensure failure. ;)

Very logicial deduction on that and probably not far off from the truth! Sad to say.

Glenn

Well..I can tell you this. My title screen animates with the letters flying in to form the game's title just like in Battlemorph more or less. Also, there is another thread where we found out that the real easy way to tell the difference between the 2mb and 1mb versions is to simply look at Skylar's face on the labels. Almost all the 1mb versions have Skylar with less detail on the label than the 2mb versions. I can't recall the thread right now....but it was pretty obvious. I also think my cart scan shows up again in that thread as well to demostrate the difference.

So...it appears that the j9000 label can be either or. I am pretty confident that mine is the 2mb version based on the title screen animation that I get. As for fog, not all the planets have fog. Some do...but I don't recall most of them having any fog. Perhaps what we may have found is a hybrid between the 2 versions that incorporates some of the 2mb features but is also scaled down like the 1mb version. Perhaps there exists a 1.5mb version or something? :?

I really wish I knew more, but since I only have just my one Cybermorph cart, and no way to dump the Jag carts, I can't do any comparisons of my own.

Interesting.

I made a label variation guide FAQ a long time ago.  It needs updating, but it notes three versions of Cybermorph.

There are three versions listed, and reading through everyone's posts I only count three versions -- the same three that I mentioned.  What am I missing?

Dan,

The difference is that the J9000 700700 label contains either a 1mb rom which is the same as the 700700-3 cart, or it contains a 2mb rom that is different than the 700700-2 cart.

So yes, there are three rom versions, but one of the labels is used on two different roms.

JagMod

I edited my original post on this topic. There are only three different versions of Cybermorph identified so far. Two different 2MB versions with different checksums and the 1MB version.

But it's interesting to note about what JagMod saying that he has a 1MB version with the J9000 label. Sounds like to me that Atari had some labels left over from the original batch or the label printer was given the wrong label artwork.

Glenn

I've a J9000E and a J9000E-2, both in the lighter-coloured cart cases. (at least one of them was J9000E-2, before I ruined the label taking it apart :D).

I'd be tempted to think that the shell variation is different from the ROM variation...but then there's a couple of games like this. Theme Park is one that I believe was recalled, back-in-the-day, and I know for sure I have two different versions of Iron Soldier, with different cart headers.

Very bizarre, but not something that we're ever likely to fully understand :)

Stone