IGNORED

What do you track your collection with?

kheller2

What are some of the cartridge tracking programs out there? It can be any os, Windows, Unix, Mac OS etc.. I've played around with Cart Commander and another one who's name escapes me...

I'm almost thinking of going to a mysql database using a web front end to get all the features I really would like to have.

Thoughts?

I just use the DP Guide myself, I've tried Cart commander, and still have my database somewhere, but it's just not nearly as convenient, or quick to open a computer program as it is to flip a book open.

My want/need list is typed out in a document, nothing fancy (then again, my need list is getting fairly small!)

I just use printout. Don't need some electronics gadget to check my list and if I lose it, it's only a few minutes for a new printout, not $100 or so for new Palm. ;)

I do keep a copy of Have's on my PC and they are updated once in a while (usually after a big haul or when my numerous small find piles up to the point of blocking my monitor)

I used to keep track of my 2600 collection with a few tracking programs, but for some reason I just know what I don't have in my collection and that is what I am looking for to buy, Like I know I don't have a CIB copy of Quadrun, Crazy Climber, Coke wins, Condor Attack, tooth protector & Chase the Chuck wagon, see easy stuff like these.

:ponder: :D :sad:

I (half way) wrote a Cart Commander knock-off in Java. I downloaded the North American lists from Atari Age and kept every label variant in it for the master lists. I call it Java-Cart and it currently lets me add carts from the master list and edit (like a spread sheet) and sort and bar-graph by cart or company and counts the number of carts total/ and number of different names of carts. I can setup any fields I want to keep track of; I just have to create a new properties file (like an INI file) for all the fields in the new table. But my progress stopped at getting it to delete.

I had this Idea to match every cart with the CRC number of the rom to know exactly how many unique games I have but I only got as far as, creating a table of 2600 carts from Atari Age that has all carts and available CRC’s (for the rom that AA had roms for and some that I had).

I was thinking of releasing this as open source but of course, I have NO TIME to work on this anymore because of job and one-hour commute each way (kids, thrift runs, playing Atari/Activision Anthology ps2, eating, bills, cleaning, getting yelled at by wife for “Having too much junk (carts/equipment)”.

I was thinking of saving the carts in a MySQL database or XML but right now it is in a CSV files.

I use a Handspring Visor PDA to keep track of my collection. Before I used a printout of the Atariage lists in a 3 ring binder but that always screamed "COLLECTOR and/or SPECULATOR" when I was out on hunts. A PDA is much more discreet.

Comma-separated text file. I keep my web page, PowerBook copy, and Palm m505 copy in sync at all times. :)

Sometimes I import it into Excel for printouts or heavy editing (sorting by manufacturer, etc.) but not often since I starting using the Palm while vising flea markets and garage sales. I highly recommend getting a cheap Palm specifically for this purpose.

Voch