IGNORED

Ending Screen for Venture/Wolfenstein

neotokeo2001

Is it possible to add an ending screen to the Atari 2600 game Venture?

I have a work in progress hack called Wolfenstein and I would like it to actually have either a final room or an ending screen after so many levels.

To anyone who can add an ending. You will get a choice of:

Space Invader Vector, Death Race, Wolfenstein and Cosmic Bowling when they are completed.(should be available within 1 month)

OR

$50 and a copy of Wolfenstein when it is available. (PayPal)

WolfCart50.gif

Infiltrate the Nazi Stronghold to steal the Top Secret War Plans.

Fight your way thru Nazi Soldiers, Attack Dogs and other strange beast. Stay in a room too long and the dreaded SS will find you. Use the map screen to navigate to new rooms, but beware of patrolling guards. Pick up Treasue and other items in each room. Can you find the War Plans and escape??

Map1.gif

GunRoom1.gif

RadioRoom1.gif

CupRoom2.gif]

wolfenstein.zip

Yes...you need to first locate the routine that determines which screen is being displayed (and from where) in the kernal. Then manage to squeeze in a custom screen of your own. This can be done by disassembling the game and trying to find spots in the program that can be optimized or dropped altogether. Finally, the routine that updates which level you will be playing needs to be changed so that it will stop once a certian level is reached.

BTW the binary in the zipfile doesn't have a .bin extension...just so you know.

Yes...you need to first locate the routine that determines which screen is being displayed (and from where) in the kernal.  Then manage to squeeze in a custom screen of your own.  This can be done by disassembling the game and trying to find spots in the program that can be optimized or dropped altogether.  Finally, the routine that updates which level you will be playing needs to be changed so that it will stop once a certian level is reached.

BTW the binary in the zipfile doesn't have a .bin extension...just so you know.

BIN file corrected. Thanks.

Sounds Good. But it's beyond what I can do at this time. I looked at my first disassembly just a few days ago. The above offer stands if someone can produce a working BIN.

I'm not a programmer here, but for adventure you could hack the easter egg screen to a congrats screen, or something, and upon completion of the 'quest' you could transport the player to that screen.

Just a thought.

EDIT:

D'Oh! I thought you said ADventure. I see so many typos on that that I didn't catch it.. :roll:

HEY HEY HEY! Look at the rooms and overhead map! You didn't hack Venture - but rather Venture II! *My* Venture II!

Now, granted, VII: THe Abyssmal Abyss is a hack itself, so I hold nothing propriatary. But *damn* - how's about at least letting me know what's going on?

Like I said, VII is a hack itself, so I can't really raise any stink about it. BUt Thomas' PAL to NSTC hacks and controller hacks and what Hozer did with them caused a bit of a nasty scuffle. All I'm saying is I would've appreciated a "Hey, I'm gonna do this"-type notice.

Or am I out of line, and anyone's hacks is fair game for any one else to screw with? I dunno. It's like hacking someone's from-scratch homebrew as far as I'm concerned. :(

HEY HEY HEY! Look at the rooms and overhead map! You didn't hack Venture - but rather Venture II! *My* Venture II!

Now, granted, VII: THe Abyssmal Abyss is a hack itself, so I hold nothing propriatary. But *damn* - how's about at least letting me know what's going on?

Like I said, VII is a hack itself, so I can't really raise any stink about it. BUt Thomas' PAL to NSTC hacks and controller hacks and what Hozer did with them caused a bit of a nasty scuffle. All I'm saying is I would've appreciated a "Hey, I'm gonna do this"-type notice.

Or am I out of line, and anyone's hacks is fair game for any one else to screw with? I dunno. It's like hacking someone's from-scratch homebrew as far as I'm concerned.  :(

I've answered this in two previous forums, but just to cover the bases.

As I posted at Digital Press:

"I am still going to rearrange the map and rooms. For now I used the Venture 2 map."

The rooms will be changing before the final version and since you posted the exact same message in the Hack Forum you know that I am trying to get an actual ending and other improvements put into the game. I would welcome any help you can give in coming up with new rooms, maps or enemies. I don't plan on selling this hack or any of my hacks for a profit, but I would be more then willing to give you credit or send you a cart of the final hack for any help.

Adding an ending is really beyond what I can do at this time. I would really have to have someone else do it.

If the carts of the hacks are not enough incentive, I could always pay someone for adding the ending. I want to get this done if at all possible.

To anyone who can add an ending. You will get a choice of:

Space Invader Vector, Death Race, Wolfenstein and Cosmic Bowling when they are completed.(should be available within 1 month)

OR

$50 and a copy of Wolfenstein when it is available. (PayPal)

Here is the latest version of the BIN. As well as a partially documented disassembly of Venture provided by Cybergoth.

Like I stated before, I would like it to have a final room or even just an ending screen after playing thru both maps 2 or 3 times.

The game ups the difficulty after each set of maps up to set 3. Looks like a good place to start.

spriteXpos5 = $D3 ; X-Position

spriteXpos6 = $D4 ; X-Position

ballXpos = $D5 ; xpos of ball

difficulty = $E5 ; Difficulty 0-3

churrentShape2 = $E7 ; Points to GRP0 shape

desiredRepos = $E9 ; desired repositioning line for current frame

currentHeight2 = $EB ; current height used in kernel

wolfenstein.zip