IGNORED

Ouch, my Trak-ball bit me!

Redcurrie

Okay, please tell me that I'm not the only dork who has pinched the living beejeezus out of themself using the 5200 Trak-Ball.... :roll: I was happily playing Centipede by rolling the ball with my index and middle finger and next thing I knew, I had pinched the crap out of my ring finger. Ouchie is all I have to say but I do still LOVE the Trak-ball. :)

I just got my trak-ball a little over a week ago. Because of the holidays I haven't had much time to play it, so I haven't pinched a finger yet. I'll consider your post a heads-up though, and play carefully. :)

I agree, the trak-ball rocks! I made it my avatar. I think 5200 Centipede with the trak-ball is the definitive version of the game.

I haven't had my 5200 trak-ball long enough to know, but biting is definitely a concern!! I have bad memories of a Centipede machine back in the day that needed human fingertips to survive.... ;)

(I was always so torn in arcades back in the 80s... some of my favourite games had trakballs and yet I was scared to play them!! :) )

almost as bad as having your tounge frozen to a bus.

Ooh, buses are dirty enough INSIDE but outside....are you in Birmingham, AL or UK? I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one that has had this problem. Somehow, I don't remember it from my arcade Centipede days; must be senility. :wink:

Laura

If you've ever played Atari Football in the arcade then you truely know what a pinched finger is.  I swear to god those trak-balls ATE fingers...

Tempest

As I recently owned an Atari Foorball, the trackball is also heavy and also takes a lot of arm movement. My dad got tired after a couple plays.

If you've ever played Atari Football in the arcade then you truely know what a pinched finger is.  I swear to god those trak-balls ATE fingers...

Tempest

Oh yeah those things were deadly. My hands were like glowing red the last time I played it about a year ago.

Oh yes, I've watched those things eat small children. That Football game was brutal, but you know what? People kept putting money into it. :)

..Al

What's the deal with the new avatar, Albert?  I swear, EVERYTHING is USB compatible these days, even site administrators...

I cannot comment at this time. :D

..Al

I smell USB Cx-40's available at the AtariAge store...

I smell...

*sniffs the air*

Pork chops. Definitely pork chops.

why would one want a USB CX-40? I'd rather have  a Command Control USB!!!! or maybe, just a DB-9 2600/7800 to USB converter. that way one could use all his/her joysticks, whatever the game!

Well I was half kidding but a USB CX-40 with a good VCS emulator would be sweet. Even better if you could plug in paddles too :)

Since this is the 5200 Forum...I bet they have a Redemption with USB on it that would allow you to use pretty much any USB controller on the 5200. Makes sense, but then how do you handle the button mapping on more complex controllers? Would the redemption have some sort of built in remapping option in it? I would think that something like that if it did, would be very expensive...?

:ponder:

This topic reminds me of those golf games with trackballs they used to have in many bars. to get any distance you had to really roll it fast towards the screen....can I be the only dork who after a few beers has nearly broke their fingers by overrunning and smacking right into the glass of the screen!?

Since this is the 5200 Forum...I bet they have a Redemption with USB on it that would allow you to use pretty much any USB controller on the 5200. Makes sense, but then how do you handle the button mapping on more complex controllers? Would the redemption have some sort of built in remapping option in it? I would think that something like that if it did, would be very expensive...?

:ponder:

the conversion too would cause a delay between your control and what happens on the screen