IGNORED

I'm building a game room and I need advice...

I'm making an old school gaming room and I was wondering if I should put super nes and genesis in there or just NES, Atari 2600, 7800, and Intellivision? I really dont classify SNES or Genesis as old school but they kind of are. But well anyway I might as well tell you my plans. I have this really neat 80's looking couch and I might get this really cool 80's TV from my friend just for giving him a Combat cart (he got it for free). Behind the couch im going to have small tables set up for my Vectrex, C64, and Atari 800. On the walls I'm going to buy some of thsoe interconnecting cartridge holders and hang them on the wall to put my 2600 and 7800 games in. For my Intellivision I will probably just stick them somewhere because I only have about 10 games and I really don't fancy Intellivision as much as the others. What do you think?

Snes - 1991, I'd say it is sorta classic, but not totally classic, I'd say just hide it in coffee table with jewers and stick it in the and run the cords under the carpet. Pull it out when no one else is there. Oh, and I cant beleave someone is giving you a TV for a one cent combat cart :?

Depends on who it's "old school" for...

In my case, "old school" doesn't have the SNES or Genesis.

(Even the 7800 was questionable because it was released later than it should have been, and personally NES doesn't make the cut.)

But that's because old school was O2, 2600, Intellivision, & Colecovision. I consider the NES the 2nd age or the beginning of the "rebirth" of consoles..

Of course, I was getting out of consoles and into computers by the time the NES came out. So I really missed the whole "NES, SMS, SNES, Genesis, TG16 era.." in consoles...

I think it depends on you. I personally consider the cut at the Video Game Crash in 84. I know, the NES was out in Japan in 83, but it was 85 or so from my perspective. Now that I think about it.. 7800 isn't golden age for that reason either..

I think of the post crash (NES, SNES, etc) up to but NOT including the Playstation as the 2nd era..

Playstation on (N64, XBox, PS2) is 3rd stage..

And what does all this mean to you?

Nothing..

It's all perspective... Do you think of SNES as old school?

desiv

Why just old school? My gaming room has a whole variaty of sytems hooked up.

Pong

A2600

A5200

Jaguar

Colecovision

SMS

NES

SNES

Genesis (Sega CD + 32X)

Turbografx (+CD)

C64

Gamecube

Dreamcast

Intellivision 25 in 1 controller thing

everything is hooked up at once, it's all good, don't discriminate by year

My TV has 2 sets of AV ports and I have a total of 4 AV switch boxes (2 daisychained) and I got:

DVD player

VCR

NES

SNES

N64

GC

SMS

Genesis +32X +Sega CD

Saturn

DC

TG-16 +TurboCD

PSX

PS2

2600 (AV moded)

CV (AV moded)

all to the AV switch boxes. 5200 is also AV moded but no one wants to help me with the color problem.

Antenna, 7800, Intellivision, and Odyssey^2 are all via single 5 port RF switch box. (7800 is AV moded as well but I need to find the cables and remove the old one first Inty and Odyssey^2 will be modded after I fix my 5200)

One really helpful trick is to get an electrician to install multiple AC outlets all connected to a wall switch so you can shut off the whole thing when not in use for extended period of time.

The gameroom should hold whatever you like to play. I have everything from an Atari Stunt Cycle through Saturn/Jaguar in mind, basically everything that doesn't have a spot reserved on the nice TV upstairs with the surround sound processor (DC, PS2 and XBX although the PS2 is probably going to lose its spot soon, since I hardly ever use it).

I also have three TVs and a bunch of switchboxes. Also all the power supplies and video cords are marked with masking tape, it can get really confusing back there.

Eric

Yeah if you are making an 80s room you don't want SNES or Genny

mucking up the theme. I personally would have a Colecovision & a

NES hooked up but from your stuff, 2600 and NES would be fine choices.

Those two were the big guns of the decade.

If your plan is to make a hang out place I don't think you'd want umpteen

systems cluttering up the room. I'd leave the 7800 and INTV out of the

picture unless you really have burning desire for those systems.

Also I'd just have the C64 set up and leave the 800 out of the picture.

And give the Vectrex its own little corner that it deserves but if it was

me I'd sell it and the other systems and save towards a full size arcade

game :D A real Asteroids would be a killer replacement for the Vex but

you can choose dozens of less popular arcade gems that would cost less

than half of what Asteroids goes for.

You should also have a few board games on a shelf. Simon, Trivia Pursuit

and Pictionary would work plus a Rubiks cube for the masochists.

Dress up the room with some rock & movie posters. Micheal Jackson,

Brian Adams & Genesis if you're a pop guy. If you are a rocker then

Iron Maiden & Motely Crue. Rocky IV & Ferris Bueller for films. And

don't forget to pick a good colour to paint the walls that works with

your furniture.

• 2 weeks later...

And give the Vectrex its own little corner that it deserves

You forgot that you need to build it an altar to rest upon.

Very true, the last two new guys I had over for some classic gaming had never seen a Veccy before but the majority of the gaming time was spent on Minestorm, Ripoff, and Protector :D

i just started 3 weeks ago setting up some stuff in my new gameroom. at first i was thinking about keeping it to just the classic systems, and have a smaller room for the modern systems. but then i thought about it, i mostly play modern systems! so i would not be spending much time it the the main (classic) gameroom. so i decided to have ALL systems in the one gameroom so i would spend All my time in that room. :)

Rick

If you really want an 80s era TV, go to a thrift store.  They are pretty common over there.  While you are at it, see if you can get a silver or woodgrain stereo too.

No lie. Got mine for a mere $20 smakers! Works awesome, and not a single composite/coaxial input on it! RF only buddy!

post-3154-1074574848_thumb.jpg

I wonder how much it would cost to get a giant Atari Fuji logo made in neon? There's a neon sign maker nearby, and I always thought it would be cool to have neon in a game room, with something like a moving Pac-Man, or a flying Yar, or something. Maybe I need to drop by that place sometime.

If you really want an 80s era TV, go to a thrift store.  They are pretty common over there.  While you are at it, see if you can get a silver or woodgrain stereo too.

No lie. Got mine for a mere $20 smakers! Works awesome, and not a single composite/coaxial input on it! RF only buddy!

You could probably get it even cheaper than that, although that picture looks good enough that it would be worth it. Plus if all the other thrifts are jacking up the TV set prices like mine is, $20 would be about right (a new looking 13" was $35 :roll: )

As I said, a stereo with big wood speakers would bee really cool too. You could refurb it too if you have troubles, and plug in an 8-track

As I said, a stereo with big wood speakers would bee really cool too.  You could refurb it too if you have troubles, and plug in an 8-track
A few years ago we had our old Record player with stereo "Surround" speakers set up. It was really old and 70's, but it worked and sounded really good. I've been wondering where it went. We moved twice since then.

With my luck, they probably threw it all away. I hope not. I'd like to set it all up in my room. The record player even worked too!

Seems my father has a knack for throwing old technology away shortly before I ask if I can have it.

We used to have a huuuge stereo system in our house that was a record player. I think it was about 6 feet long. I asked about it recently, they said they threw it away years ago.

Once we got an old 70's bright yellow TV from a yard sale for $2. I asked where it was.. they had thrown it away shortly before I asked.

In the late 80's we had an old TV in the basement that was never used. Being a curious kid one day I asked if I could have the TV in the basement. Dad said "If you can find a TV in the basement you can have it." Care to guess what happened next? No TV. He had just thrown it away.

Same with our old 8-Track player. Threw it away before I could ask for it.

Makes me afraid to ask about the Stereo system. :sad: