IGNORED

Super Joy III

HAs anyone used this nes on a chip semipirate clone? I've seen them on wvc and elsewhere and the carts look just like nomral famicom carts. A family adaptor should let you play nes carts on it huh?

any reviews?

http://64.33.43.74/power_player.html

http://buypegasus.com/super_joy_iii_game_s...stol_39_95.html

yeah i have one, which i keep around for famicom games. heres the low down, its pretty shoddy, that center joystick on the N64esque controller, it doesnt move or do anything, just a garnish. the four yellow buttons are just A and B twice, you drop this thing once and its probably toast. as for using it with cartridges, you can play famicom games on it but the cart hangs down from the controller getting in the way of your hands, esp. if you try and hold like an N64 pad. you'll also find yourself bumping the cart with your hands and shaking it as you play, which often messes up the connection, at total buzzkill. if you try playing NES games on it thru a pin adpt. you're in for the same problems as the fami games but twice as bad...my thoughts, buy if you want to check out some famigames or have a novelty item, but dont plan on spending much time playing it.

I've got one of those things, and the power switch was always getting switched on, and the batteries would burn out fast. But it was a fun little time killer. It just pissed me off that the game list included Pac-Man and Burgertime, but those games weren't in it.

I certainly wouldn't pay $39.99 for one of those things, I bought mine at a flea market for $20. It's not worth much more.

My local GamesUSA has been trying to sell one to me for a while now.  It felt cheap when I tried it in the store so I said no.  The kid in there asks me if I want it every time I go in there.
I'd just look at him and go "Do I LOOK like I want to spend money on a cheap piece of garbage? ESPECIALLY an illegal one? Now go bother someone else."

My local GamesUSA has been trying to sell one to me for a while now.  It felt cheap when I tried it in the store so I said no.  The kid in there asks me if I want it every time I go in there.
I'd just look at him and go "Do I LOOK like I want to spend money on a cheap piece of garbage? ESPECIALLY an illegal one? Now go bother someone else."

Oh I have no problem saying NO. He's just trying to run a business, I can't fault him for that. I never say it's a piece of crap, I just say no thanks. The kid kind of bugs me in general because he thinks all gaming is Playstation. While that's nice for him, I don't want to hear about it every time I'm in there. Just tell me how much for the carts I have in my hand.

The kid kind of bugs me in general because he thinks all gaming is Playstation.

But that happens in every gaming era. He's too young and narrow minded to imagine anything other than Playstation for gaming. That used to happen to me every once in a while, with people who said "Why do you want games for an Atari? Why don't you just get a Nintendo?" Limited minded people like that with no clue as to the true scope of the history of videogames aren't worth the time and frustration.

I work with a guy who thinks the videogame universe begins and ends with the Xbox. He recently told me that I was stupid for wanting to buy a Vectrex. He had no clue what it was, and automatically slammed me for it, because I could have spent that money on Xbox games. So when gaming comes up in a conversation, I treat him like an ignorant inferior. Being talked down to like a retarded child makes him keep his opinions about my game collecting to himself.

I kinda got obsessed with the system-in-a-controller thing and picked up a Power Joy III on ebay for 28 bucks. It is cheap and shitty, all right, and blatantly pirate with many misspelled or misnamed games (Pac-Man and Donkey Kong are listed but they're hacks of Mappy and DKjr respectively) but IT RULES!

I brought it over to my parents' place at Thanksgiving and hooked it up to the old Commodore monitor in the basement where the NES has been slowly decaying over the years, and when my nieces got hold of it it never got shut off till sometime after I went home. (Luckily it came with an AC adaptor.) At Xmas I remembered to bring the extra control pad (left the gun at home, toy guns are a no-no apparently) and it got played probably more than the Gamecube I bought one of my nieces for xmas.

Yeah, the fake hat controller is goofy, and it's not immediately apparent that the second set of A/B buttons are rapid fire (try it :) ) and the interface for selecting games is incredibly stupid considering they have "76,000 games" (actually 76 games repeated a thousand times with working and non-working hacks), but for 26 bucks it's a great deal, I think. Now, I bought a NES to Famicom converter from Lik-sang to play some of my NES carts that the old front-loader wouldn't take, and the PJIII wouldn't play them either, but that could mean that Gamestop screwed me rather than the PJIII is bad. Haven't tried with any known-good games yet, but I didn't really buy it for playing NES carts (which would be horribly awkward anyway.)

If nothing else, anyone who has complained about the Atari, INTV, etc. games in a stick not being any good should really pick one of these up cheap, as they literally are the actual NES games, and some you're almost guaranteed to have never played before (some of which are even kinda good.) I may need to get myself a second one for my 'collection' since it looks like the first one has taken up permanent residence in my parents' basement.

The concept was amusing enough, but playing one wasn't. Borrowed my friend Bivotar's for a few days and the controller was terrible - button pushes didn't register or when they did registered for the wrong thing - running when you want to jump, going down when you want to go right, et cetera.

• 1 month later...

I got a Super Joy tonight. I had wanted one with the cart slot on the back, and the girl selling me the thing assured me it had one. When I got it home, it was a plain ol' pirate NES with built in games. It also cost me $40, so I probably got ripped off. Oh well.

I still think it's kind of cool. I've been exposed to Balloon Fight because of this. There's a game called F-1 Race which is kind of like a souped up Pole Position that I like. It also has Contra and Kung Fu on it, which are two games that I've wanted to get for my NES, but either can't find (Kung Fu) or can't find for a reasonable price (Contra).

Another bonus was the fact it has Kareteka on it under the name of Tekken. Then there's Space Invaders, and a bunch of mildly amusing shooters.

It has a standard Atari 9 pin port on the back. This port can either be used to plug in an included Genesis 6 button style controller or a light gun. But it apparrently the included Genesis looking pad isn't a standard Genesis controller. I tried using a regular Genesis 6 button and a 3 button and both semi-locked the Super Joy up.

There's also a light gun. It's OK. But beyond about 3 or 4 feet from the screen/target it won't register any longer. Since it fits an Atari port, I pulled out the only Atari 7800 light gun game I had (Barnyard Blaster) and checked to see if the Super Joy gun might work as a substitute Atari light gun. While the trigger caused the desired result, it seems the light sensor cannot detect the signal no matter how close you get the gun to the screen.

any special ac adapter for this?  I bought mine at goodwill for a buck and only found the extra controller that came along (no gun or hookups).  I tried out an AV cord and an AC but no dice.  Probably broken, but just wondering what was to be used for an ac.

This is what the AC adaptor for mine says:

AC-DC AD APTOR

INPUT:~110V 50/60Hz

OUTPUT:---9V 350mA

I am not knowledgeable of such things. All I can do is tell you exactly what is printed there. Please keep in mind that they put a space in the big middle of "adaptor" and also promote the system as having 76000 games. It's not a very trustworthy source.

Since buying mine, I've read a few sites talking about this famiclone. Most of them indicate that a standard NES AC adaptor should work.

Ive seen several of these types of systems at the local feas.

I passed on Power Player. It just seemed crappier than the others.

I got one that looks like a PSOne. Even the controllers look like PS controllers. Of course it plays NES games. The weirdest being what looks like a Mario Bros hack (Or something similar) but with Pikachu. One thing I can say, I love the gun that comes with these. Small and fits perfect in the hand.