IGNORED

Pesco vs. Ebivision Pac-Man

SS

:lol:

Well, this topic has certianly run the gauntlet. The game (Ebi's original Pacman version) itself had gained an almost mythalogical status...and we've heard the argument for years:

"a 4k Pacman can't be faithful"...

"what about Pesco then?"...

"Pesco isn't Pacman"...

"well, it used to be"...

...etc, etc.

And so the whole thing about "can a 4k Pacman be truer to the arcade?" still remains. The question really isn't "can I get this for free?", but rather "can you prove it?"...and so far the jury is still out on that one (at least at the moment).

To tell you the truth, I honestly don't know why they chose not to make the game public...since nobody has gotten sued over Pacman for years AFAIK (and homebrew carts seem to sell just as well regardless if a binary is around - there are perks to owning "tha real thang".

Whatever happened to the hack of "a better Pacman" that was under the running title Mr. Pacman? This one was looking really good. I hope that it is still being worked on(?)

Well, I'm going to say one thing to spite Ebivision. Until they release their games, I'll never buy one, so nyah!!! ((raspberry))

Ummm, :ponder:

By the way, I'm very rarely serious, unless you mean always, in which case I am. :?

I think that if you're playing a homebrew in an emulator, it's like, "hey, look what this guy did for this funky virtual machine.... in only 4k... neat.... next!" but if you have a cartridge, that makes it an "Atari game" ;)

Exactly, thats why they should start selling the carts, I'm wondering if they got hosed by Hozer? and they are reluctant to make a deal with AtariAge due to mistrust or lack of communication due to the language barrier or they don't feel they are being offered enough royalties or what?

I have played a few of their games and I feel they are very good homebrews, definately worth owning in cart form.

Pesco definately rules over Atari Pac-Man but I'd have to say Ms and Jr are better, but at 4k Pesco is quite an accomplishment.

my 2cents

DAS

Do you need a speech writer?  

Apperently so. I think I've managed to single handedly offend three people in 5 posts. That's a new record.

Tempest

No offense here, bro (hence the Ferris Bueller quote earlier). Just talkin' about games. :) Sorry if that wrecks your record... :D

Exactly, thats why they should start selling the carts, I'm wondering if they got hosed by Hozer? and they are reluctant to make a deal with AtariAge due to mistrust or lack of communication due to the language barrier or they don't feel they are being offered enough royalties or what?

We have a long running dialog with Ebivision regarding selling their games in our store and will hopefully have something to report on that front soon. :)

..Al

My opinion of Ebivision is pretty low right now, and probably will stay that way until they do the RIGHT THING and allow their Atari stuff to be available to the public.    

Yeah, me too!!! I mean really, Activision is doing the same thing. When was the last time you were able to purchase a new cart from them? At least they should make the binaries available... right?!?! I say Boycott Activision. While we are at it.. let's boycott Atari... I still want my new shrinkwrapped Quadrun. Why don't they publish more? Damn them all to hell!!! :?

Sarcasm mode off..... :)

Seriuosly, why should they care. Attitudes like this isn't going to change their minds. I do know that Eric was/is truly afraid of NAMCO when I discussed this at the CGE with him. So you have to respect him for that. I think Pac-Man Arcade is a better game, but again, it is 8K. Eric did a wonderful job with his 4K version. As for the availability of the other games. I'm not sure why. Maybe they just got sick of this stuff and need a break, maybe they got new jobs, married, had kids, medical problems... whatever. They don't owe anyone or anybody an explanation. It would be nice if they updated their webpage.

-Lee

My opinion of Ebivision is pretty low right now, and probably will stay that way until they do the RIGHT THING and allow their Atari stuff to be available to the public.    

Yeah, me too!!! I mean really, Activision is doing the same thing. When was the last time you were able to purchase a new cart from them? At least they should make the binaries available... right?!?! I say Boycott Activision. While we are at it.. let's boycott Atari... I still want my new shrinkwrapped Quadrun. Why don't they publish more? Damn them all to hell!!! :?

Sarcasm mode off..... :)

Seriuosly, why should they care. Attitudes like this isn't going to change their minds. I do know that Eric was/is truly afraid of NAMCO when I discussed this at the CGE with him. So you have to respect him for that. I think Pac-Man Arcade is a better game, but again, it is 8K. Eric did a wonderful job with his 4K version. As for the availability of the other games. I'm not sure why. Maybe they just got sick of this stuff and need a break, maybe they got new jobs, married, had kids, medical problems... whatever. They don't owe anyone or anybody an explanation. It would be nice if they updated their webpage.

-Lee

clapclap.gif

I can tell you that they do want the games to be available for sale and we hope to address that soon. However, I think they are very busy with their lives outside Atari so things sometimes move slowly.

As for Pac-Man, Lee is correct in saying that they were worried about getting sued. While I don't think that would happen, I can understand why they wouldn't want to risk such a financial burden. If Namco just decided to get nasty for any reason, they would have absolutely no recourse.

As for the binary images, we can ask about that but it's totally up to them and we're not going to pressure them at all.

As for Pac-Man, Lee is correct in saying that they were worried about getting sued. While I don't think that would happen, I can understand why they wouldn't want to risk such a financial burden. If Namco just decided to get nasty for any reason, they would have absolutely no recourse.

...provided that Ebivision called it Pacman. If they still used the name Pesco or something, Namco wouldn't have much of a case. Especially since so many clones of the game already exist. It would even be harder for Namco to go after them if the character GFX were also kept dissimilar.

If you can point to a case of Hal Labs or somebody being sued by them, I suppose I'll have to eat Stan's hat. Their game was so close even some of the arcade patterns work on it! :D

...provided that Ebivision called it Pacman.  If they still used the name Pesco or something, Namco wouldn't have much of a case.  Especially since so many clones of the game already exist.  It would even be harder for Namco to go after them if the GFX were also kept dissimilar.

If you can point to a case of Hal Labs or somebody being sued by them, I suppose I'll have to eat Stan's hat.

That is 100% correct. ;)

Holy crap what happened, this thread just about doubled in size! :o :lol:

One thing I think needs to be clarified is there's a difference between someone wanting that rom/cart vs. someone expecting.

Hey I'll admit I've been wanting an Ebivision Pacman cart, and I'll admit I'd love to have a rom dumped. But do I EXPECT them to do it? Hell no. I'd like it, but I don't think they have to.. of course they don't! I don't really think there's any "rom beggers" kiddys here on the AA boards.. if you want to see true rom beggers (who think they're owed something) I can point you to several other message boards and threads where they run rampant.

It's not like those who are wanting it think Ebivision owes them something. Personally, I'd be just as happy seeing a rom dumped whether it's 10 years from now or tomorrow.. doesn't really matter a hill of beans to me. On that note if it never gets dumped then oh well. Them's just the breaks :) If I see it ever occur that'd be great though :D But I don't expect it to happen... at least anytime this decade ;)

Holy crap what happened, this thread just about doubled in size!  :o :lol:

Discussing the ethics of obtaining something that they don't want you to have. The statement "Why should they care what we want?" was used above. I dunno if everyone understands the implications of that broad generalization (which I don't agree that Eric has BTW) :ponder:

What do I know though? I'm just a hacker...as such, my soul is already doomed.