IGNORED

5200 Video Mod Problem

Tempest

I'm having a problem with my 5200 composite video mod chip. A month or two ago I reported that the picture was too dark (especially noticable in the darker colors like gray), so I exchanged my mod board for a new one. Unfortunately I'm having the same problem. Now I'm starting to wonder if I wired it correctly...

Interestingly the color appears correct for a split second upon power up, but then quickly darkens after a second. Could this hint at what the problem is? I wonder if the problem is with my wiring, the 5200, or my TV. Anyone have any suggestions?

Tempest

Ok let's assume the chip is bad somehow. Would that cause the effect I'm seeing? It's not like the video is going wacko or anything, it's just darker than it should be. It seems to start out the right color but goes darker after a second. It's not really REALLY dark, just alot darker than it should be (you really only notice it on dark grays and browns).

Tempest

Ok I tried the chip from the other 5200 and it had the same problem. I also tried the mod IN that other 5200 and had the exact same problem.

This leads me to believe that it's either the chip or my wiring. Does anyone have a nice picture of the wiring so I can check my work? I'm all out of ideas now.

Tempest

Ok the wiring is right and I tried a few other games. It's hard to describe, but the colors are just "off". Also I noticed that the LucasFilm logo before Rescue on Fractalus is screwed up. The bars of color gradients don't blend nicely like they should. Instead I see very obvious bars of solid colors (they don't blend). Does this point to a problem with a board?

Tempest

Also I noticed that the LucasFilm logo before Rescue on Fractalus is screwed up.  The bars of color gradients don't blend nicely like they should.  Instead I see very obvious bars of solid colors (they don't blend).

Have you compared the result to the output from an emulator? If you look at the lucasfilm logo running on an emu, you do see bars of color not a smooth gradient:

lucaslogo.gif

Try the Mod in your spare 5200. There is no soldering its very easy to move to another 5200.

Tried it. Got the same result.

Have you compared the result to the output from an emulator? If you look at the lucasfilm logo running on an emu, you do see bars of color not a smooth gradient:

Yep I understand that. Here's the best way to describe it. Instead of the color changing every two bars, it's like every three or four. It's like I'm losing color depth. Also I don't think the places where it changes color part way through the line are working (or maybe it just looks wrong because I seem to have limited color depth). I'll try and take a picture or use photoshop to do an approximation of what I'm seeing.

Does this sound like a bad mod chip? I've tried two different chips from my 5200 (were those ANTIC or GITA chips? I can't remember), and I've tried it on two different 5200's. Unless I messed up the wiring somehow I can't see what else it could be. And I think if I messed up the wiring I wouldn't be getting anything at all.

Tempest

Ok here's a BAD approximation of what it looks like. I only did the first four letters, but I think you can see what I'm talking about. The brown isn't really that dark, it's like a shade lighter than the "shadow" of the letters so that it looks even worse than what I drew. Any idea what could cause this?

Tempest

lucaslogo.gif