IGNORED

Malagai Legends

Albert

malagai_legends.gifIt has been twenty years since Malagai was released for the Atari 2600 system. To celebrate, a few individuals have put together a remake of the game with several enhanced features and more replay value entitled "Malagai Legends." The authors have attempted to be as faithful as possible while still adding extra gameplay features. Download and play for free at Symmetry is Comfort.

Here is a copy of the file locally on AtariAge, in case you cannot get to the above website:

Malaga Legends

..Al

Hey everyone. :) I am new to the forum, but I have been visiting Atari Age for quite some time now. I am the creator of Malagai Legends, and I am thankful Albert accepted it. I am honored that it is considered news to such a definitive website with such power and devotion to all that is Atari. I love Atari Age and I figured I would make my appearance be simultaneous with the release of our remake of Malagai. I hope you all like it, and you can email me any comments or criticism if you wish at Pangolin11@aol.com, or just place it here....

Thanks again!

Yeah, I'm sorry... Geocities isn't the best with bandwidth...

Malagai Legends is not a hack, it is a complete remake for the PC. It comes as a .exe, which is sort of convenient. I would accept such an offer by those that are willing to host it for me. That would be very kind. :)

Yeah, I'm sorry... Geocities isn't the best with bandwidth...

Malagai Legends is not a hack, it is a complete remake for the PC.  It comes as a .exe, which is sort of convenient.  I would accept such an offer by those that are willing to host it for me.  That would be very kind. :)

I sent you an email (to 'Pangolin11@aol.com') with just such an offer!

Please reply back and we can start getting things configured for you. :)

I am very pleased with this. AtariK2 has put a lot of effort into the reproduction of my site and offered/loaned me some bandwidth without my asking. Its peple like this that make one reconsider the negativities of the human race... or something like that. :) Oh, and a big thanks to Albert as well for everything he has clearly done! I hope everyone likes Malagai Legends. My brother and I will continue to work on more projects that will hopefully exceed our debut.

No prob Trooper. I didn't even get to see the message anyway, I was away, so don't be afraid if your words may have hurt my feelings. :) I am glad you brought the subject up because I would be willing to accept embarassment for the sake of others and their computers.

Anyway, Malagai Legends is not a hack or anything like that. Basically, we started from scratch and put together a Malagai remake. We added a few new features and such which include:

* Faster gameplay

* 5 songs that fit the various moods of certain events in the game.

* Replay Value (The unlocking of Moderate and Hard modes and an ending.)

* Expanded Levels (You cannot view the whole maze on the screen.)

* New policies (Malagai are angered under only one circumstance and resume upon only one action.)

* Indication of which key you possess

There is more that I may be forgetting. With these new features you are essentially playing a different game, but you still have the same Malagai concept and basic gameplay.

I like the game idea and the music is neat. I like the Run! music especially. Not seeing the whole screen and the short timer make this game much more challenging than the 2600 version.

There was one gameplay flaw that kept me from enjoying the whole experience and that was sticking to the walls. I've seen that before in other modern games, is there a programming trick to let you slide easily into slots and not stick to the walls and waste time? Maybe something like having your little dude on rails like Pac-Man wouldn't change the game much and it would improve handling. If I'm not mistaken that's how it was in the 2600 more of a maze game and not a free floating thrusting game.

Ah yes, I know what you mean. We attempted to figure out a way in which this can be done, but it was in vain. I will work at it more, and perhaps once we figure it out I will rerelease it. I, too, am annoyed with that and I can assure you I spent quite some time demanding we find a way until I could demand no more. :) Rather unprofessional looking...

I like the game idea and the music is neat.  I like the Run! music especially.  Not seeing the whole screen and the short timer make this game much more challenging than the 2600 version.

There was one gameplay flaw that kept me from enjoying the whole experience and that was sticking to the walls.  I've seen that before in other modern games, is there a programming trick to let you slide easily into slots and not stick to the walls and waste time?  Maybe something like having your little dude on rails like Pac-Man wouldn't change the game much and it would improve handling.  If I'm not mistaken that's how it was in the 2600 more of a maze game and not a free floating thrusting game.

I'm definitely enjoying Malagai Legends - pretty cool that they released it as on the 20th Anniversary of Malagai. I had not played the original although after having spent some time with Legends I fired up the Z26 emulator and checked it out - it's quite fun! Further curious I checked ebay and was shocked to see that there is a auction for Malagai and the current bid is $345.00! (Yes, you read that right!) :)

Back to Legends...I agree that getting stuck on the walls can definitely be frustrating at times but it does add to the challenge. I've also noticed that the game runs faster (or slower) depending on your PC speed.

And I also like the music - it fits quite well, IMO.

It looks nice.  I wish I could play it but I have a Mac.  Too bad it's only for the PC.  :sad:

I have a copy of Virtual PC 6 with Windows 2000 just for this situation :)

The game actually is easier on my Mac because it slows it down a little bit, I posted my review after playing the game on my fast XP machine.