IGNORED

TT030 vs. Falcon

Tempest

Ok so in a head to head battle, which of these systems would come out on top? The Falcon has the TT beat in the graphics department (since it supports more modes), but I think the TT is faster in terms of raw processing power. I'm curious as to how everyone here rates the two systems in other categories (usefulness, appearance, sound, compatibility, ease of use, etc.).

Tempest

Ok so in a head to head battle, which of these systems would come out on top?  The Falcon has the TT beat in the graphics department (since it supports more modes), but I think the TT is faster in terms of raw processing power.  I'm curious as to how everyone here rates the two systems in other categories (usefulness, appearance, sound, compatibility, ease of use, etc.).

Tempest

Hmmm

Graphics - Falcon comes out tops obviously

Raw processing power - Falcon again, but this is questionable as it depends on definitions.

For sure TT is faster for most aplications due to the faster 68030, TTram and bus

BUT the DSP is VERY fast in the Falcon, so for raw processing power of the 68030 and therefore most programs, TT is the clear winner.

For SOME software though and potential because of the DSP, the Falcon in my opinion wins.

Appearance - TT definitely the more attractive, Falcon is just a darker STFM case

Sound - absolutely no contest Falcon by a mile.

Compatibility - probably Falcon again, those ST compatibility modes are handy, and with Backward there is a surprisingly large amount of software which works just fine thank you.

Ease of use - Draw, i can't separate them, they're both great.

Expandability - Falcon (CT60, etc WOW 100MHz 68060 I love it)

Therefore i have to say, the Falcon comes out n top. But the TT is still great too.

Cheers

I agree with Atari_Owl except for maybe the Expandability bit.

Ofcourse the CT60 is one of the, if not the best expansion of all the expansions one can get for the various Atari's. But clearly the Falcon's design lacks about everything to call it an easy to expand computer. The TT's design is way better in regards to Expandability. As far i know, there's just not much that utilizes it. Except for a few graphicscards like crazy dots??

I disagree on compatibility. IMHO the TT and Falcon are about the same as far as running ST games goes. They tend to not run most of them. About the same amount of games that did not run on the TT also did not run on the Falcon. BUT the ones that did run on one also ran on othe other...

TT is very easy to upgrade. It has standard VME slot. There is lot of card which is possible to use (videocards, ethernet, DSP sound). IIRC Matrix in Germany rebuilded TT to custom tower with 5 VME slots, so there was possible to use several card at one time. I have somewhere picture of their nice tower.

Beside this it is easy to expand TT with lot of RAM (upto 256 MB TT RAM and 8 MB of ST RAM)

Ordinary Falcon has limit with RAM - it can handle only 16 MB due to its low cost CPU. Of course there was Afterburner and now CT60 but as you know these upgrade cards are rare :-(

Fair point.

I am of course aware of the VME slot and the space available for expansion.

I'm just not really familiar with many of the expansions available.

And of course they are as rare as Falcon ones now.

I chose the Falcon as tops particularly because of the CT60, but to a lesser extent because of

Eclipse

Expose

Afterburner

CT2

BlowUp

Falcon SPeed

Tempest would have been great but i think we can guess that it won't happen now.

Have to admit i did seriously think about making it a draw.

But CT60 just wins it for the Falcon for me. But that might be becuse its my newest toy.

and as i say WOW!

Well, there are a few points on the TT side which help to back its position up. :)

First there is the thing with intern and extern scsi, and Acsi with which it is possible to exchange data with the ST's as well as with the Falcon that is not compatible to normal ST's in that.

Second you can put up to 266 (two hundred and sixty-six) megs of ram into a TT (ten megs of ST-Ram, not eight as mentioned above).

Third there is a very rare thing called CaTTamaran which accelerates the TT to unfortunately-I-don't-know-where. Sorry.

I think the overall performance is better on a TT.

The Falcon has its advantages in multimedia, especially in playing mp3's... :)

CAF was not too good in audio-processing, and I heard of Logic having similar - erm, limitations.

To Surf the web is possible on both machines.

With the FX-Card's 36 mhz (which normally should be 40...) my Falcon has about the same performance on web-sites as the TT as of the DSP calculating the jpeg-pics.

But a site as www.macseite.de is a lot of hard work for it...

I haven't tested AtariAge yet with the Falcon but I think it will be about the same...

Second you can put up to 266 (two hundred and sixty-six) megs of ram into a TT (ten megs of ST-Ram, not eight as mentioned above).

Third there is a very rare thing called CaTTamaran which accelerates the TT to unfortunately-I-don't-know-where. Sorry.

Thats great.

And i do love the TT.

But right now...

Falcon + CT60 (Full 68060 @ 100MHz) + 512MB Fast Ram + 14Mb ST Ram just sets the target wayyy out there for me.

And for the moment, i just don't feel much can compare except maybe a Hades60 (bit faster on the video side).

But if SuperVidel happens then its just going to be FANTASTIC.

Actually, i wish there was enough interest in TT for Rodolphe to do a CT60 type board for it too. That would be great. :)

And for the moment, i just don't feel much can compare except maybe a Hades60 (bit faster on the video side).

Or a Milan060. There are people who say they gave away their Hades as of the much better running Milan...

A friend mine of owns one. :)